Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 25 Jun 2016 (Saturday) 14:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

One body, one lens. What would you choose?

Nmura
728 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Sep 26, 2016 16:36 |  #16

XT2 + 18-55

Gear

sponsored links
segedi
47 posts
Joined Feb 2013

Sep 28, 2016 13:18 as a reply to  @ Nmura's post |  #17

X-T2 and 56mm f/1.2, but thankfully I don't need to limit :)

---------------
Segedi.com (external link)
Flickr (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,583 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by EverydayGetaway.

Sep 28, 2016 20:50 |  #18

X-Pro2 and XF 35/1.4, or Rokinon 21/1.4, or XF 18/2, or XF 18-55mm, or... do I have to choose...? :lol:

EDIT: I misinterpreted the question (read the topic and latest response and forgot the OP, doh!), but my answer still stands ;) :lol:

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

cug
140 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Sep 28, 2016 23:53 |  #19

Nick Aufiero wrote in post #18049712 (external link)
What's the best IQ in terms of color/sharpness?

The best you'll likely get from the new bodies (X-Pro2 and X-T2), but they are way beyond your budget. The X-T1, X-E2, X-E2s as well as X100T and X70 all have the same X-Trans II sensor, so from that perspective they will be similar. The older cameras (X-Pro1, X-E1) have the X-Trans I sensor which, according to some, has a bit more "organic" colors, but is very slow focusing and also also isn't as good with focus peaking.

It just depends on what you're really looking for. The 16MP sensors were definitely good enough for me, but the other features (much, much better AF, Acros film simulation, joystick and overall improved layout) make the latest models very compelling.

What magnification is the fuji crop sensor?

1.5. Meaning for example that the XF 35mm lens will deliver the same field of view of a 53mm on a fullframe Canon.

What body is best from the aps-c lines?

You basically have the choice between three generations:

1. X-Trans I: X-E1, X-Pro1 - really slow and no phase detect AF, but very nice rendering, I like the b&w JPEGs from these sensors still the most
  2. X-Trans II: X-E2, X-E2s (same camera as X-E2, just a full Auto setting added), X-T1, X-T10 - these have phase detect AF, generally faster and more usable than the first generation cameras, the JPEGs are a bit more contrasty, JPEGs can have "waxy skin" at high ISO (it's not a problem of the sensor but the noise reduction of the camera internal JPEG engine that goes more along with the taste for asian culture as it seems), better manual focus helpers
  3. X-Trans III: X-Pro2, X-T2 - latest generation 24MP sensors, again much faster continuous AF, faster internal CPUs, Acros film simulation (if you like that), WR also on X-Pro2 body, lots of internal and external improvements.

If the most important to you is image quality, you should get a body from the latest line and a good prime lens, but that is beyond the budget you have set. Pretty much all the Fuji lenses are very good, but the primes are mostly outstanding, especially the 14, 23/1.4, 35/1.4 (slightly loud AF motor), 56/1.2, 60/2.4 (slow focusing) and the absolutely exception 90/2.

For a one body, one lens setup close to your budget you could get a used, like new X-T1 and an XF35 f/1.4 lens. That's an outstanding combination which I've taken to many places in the last two years. If you want more flexibility, the 18-55 zoom is outstanding, way better than any Canon or Nikon kit zoom.

If you want to buy new you can possibly get an X-E2 body at $499 and then you'd have to find a lens that works for you.

daleg
684 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by daleg. (2 edits in all)

Oct 07, 2016 20:06 |  #20

last Sunday I had an opportunity to spend most of the day shooting in Midtown (NYC).

I took my smallest dslr, a Canon SL1, with its plain vanilla "kit lens" - the EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM.

+/- 500 shots later - the little guy held his own. no hardship. strong images, light rig, pleasant day. what's not to like. granted there were times I wished for wider or longer (mostly wider) - - but not having bigger, heavier, more massive red ringed multiple barbells on each shoulder &/or a tired, cranky sherpa...?

it was an easy, fun, yet still productive day. not bad.

https://www.flickr.com …/albums/7215767​3715237760 (external link)

https://www.flickr.com …/albums/7215767​1450723933 (external link)

ps - fwiw, 2 lighter, less massive, and even simpler kits would've/could've been: (a) the fuji X100 (any varient, mine's an S) or the same SL1 with an ef-s 24mm stm pancake. either are worthy alternatives, imho.

then again, I could've shot with my smartphone (note 4) or stayed home and saved those millions of pixels.

roman_t
Cream of the Crop
5,271 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Oct 17, 2016 23:59 |  #21

xpro2 + 16-55mm!

klaptastic
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Oct 18, 2016 14:25 |  #22

X100T, personally. I think the conversion lenses could count as a single lens :D

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Oct 21, 2016 21:13 |  #23

35mm f/1.4 should do you nicely. That is basically what you say in the initial post.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,194 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Oct 24, 2016 13:43 |  #24

Love using my X-E2s and the 35mm f/2. Fairly small, nice and lightweight, fairly discrete and great results.

Kev

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Nov 07, 2016 22:20 |  #25

The 35 f/1.4 lens would do you well.
Given what you say you want why not take a good look at the X-E1 and 18-55 zoom? A bit slower lens but ISO can make up for a lot. Versatile and lightweight and the cost will be lower than you say you have to spend.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

sponsored links

6,733 views & 2 likes for this thread
One body, one lens. What would you choose?
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.