Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 07 Nov 2016 (Monday) 20:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gaming computers still good for Photoshop

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Nov 07, 2016 20:37 |  #1

Has been at least 5 years since I bought a computer for images. Main concern was FAST processing as it is an imaging computer with Photoshop as the main use. Never, ever online so that was not a concern. Fast graphics card and all geared to speed for gaming.

Works very well for images.

Will be looking before long at getting a newer computer. Are Gaming computers still some of the best for this type of use - again with it not going online?

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

sponsored links
DesolateMirror
364 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 07, 2016 20:57 |  #2

Yes and no, if you buy a store bought "gaming" pc it's probably crap.

If you put together your own gaming pc it will be good for games and photoshop.

Photoshop doesn't really require the crazy graphics cards that games do but still nice to have a decent one.

http://www.logicalincr​ements.com/ (external link) Scroll down until you find your budget, 16GB RAM, 240GB SSD minimum (480GB+ preferred as a working drive to import photos onto, work on them and also photoshop scratchdisk).

In terms of graphics card you probably won't need anything above a GTX1060 or RX480 for photoshop, unless you *really* want to play the top end games.

Deardorff
THREAD ­ STARTER
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Nov 07, 2016 22:23 |  #3

Actually, I don't play any games at all. Just images on the computer. Never online and won't ever be.
One big advantage was the lack of all the add on junk programs Compaq, Dell and the like stick in their new computers. None of that was on the gaming models I looked at.
The graphics card may be overkill but it has lasted and performed well for 5 years now. Just looking to get newer before something finally happens. Yes, I do have backup files of the images in separate locations so if the computer dies I don't lose everything.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

stevewf1
778 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 08, 2016 03:43 |  #4

Deardorff wrote in post #18178869 (external link)
Actually, I don't play any games at all. Just images on the computer. Never online and won't ever be.
One big advantage was the lack of all the add on junk programs Compaq, Dell and the like stick in their new computers. None of that was on the gaming models I looked at.
The graphics card may be overkill but it has lasted and performed well for 5 years now. Just looking to get newer before something finally happens. Yes, I do have backup files of the images in separate locations so if the computer dies I don't lose everything.

Three years ago, I built my own system. Bought the case, power supply, processor, ram, hard drives, everything else and slapped it all together. It did cost me a lot more to do it this way but I got exactly what I wanted and the way I wanted it. As long as I can afford to do it this way, I'll never buy an off the shelf PC again.

Steve

PalaDolphin
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2016

Nov 08, 2016 04:10 |  #5

I'm on an extremely tight budget. I have a solution for $150.89 after rebate. It's at Microcenter; I tried something similar on NewEgg and Amazon, but couldn't come close to the price. This is what I want to build. I already have a case with a hard drive; old Linux system. It's pickup only, no shipping. LOL, as I'm writing this up I noticed the processor dropped $5.

$44.99 - Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-H FM2+ ATX AMD Motherboard
$54.99 - AMD A6 7400K Black Edition Steamroller 3.9GHz Dual-Core Socket FM2+ Boxed Processor
-40.00 - bundled discount for the above
$89.99 - Ballistix Sport XT 16GB DDR3-1866 (PC3-15000) CL10 Desktop Memory Kit (Two 8GB Memory Modules)
-10.00 - mail-in rebate
$10.92 - Sales tax
---------
$150.89 Total

This AMD build is similar to an i5 3.5GHz at half the price. It has 16GB which is ideal for Photoshop; memory is more than half the cost. This has an Integrated AMD Radeon R5 GPU in the processor but can add your favorite graphics card for gaming. I already have a small HD, but will probably buy a 3TB internal eventually; I need tons of space.

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 08, 2016 05:50 as a reply to  @ PalaDolphin's post |  #6

the difference is that all the desktop i5 have 4 cores
the amd may have similar single core performance but programs that utilize more than two cores should perform better with the i5

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DA (external link)

PalaDolphin
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Post edited over 2 years ago by PalaDolphin. (2 edits in all)

Nov 08, 2016 06:27 |  #7

FuturamaJSP wrote in post #18179058 (external link)
the difference is that all the desktop i5 have 4 cores
the amd may have similar single core performance but programs that utilize more than two cores should perform better with the i5

The similar Intel system I put to together cost $321.79:
Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz LGA 1150 (quad core)
The AMD is dual core.

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 08, 2016 07:47 as a reply to  @ PalaDolphin's post |  #8

as i said before you are comparing a high-end i5 with 4 cores and 4 threads with an AMD cpu that only got 2 cores and 2 threads

you should probably compare it to one of the i3 cpus
yes the AMD is cheaper and may be good enough for applications that only utilize one to two cores but the i5 is still significantly faster when running on just one core

http://cpuboss.com …-i5-4690K-vs-AMD-A6-7400K (external link)

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I said I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard! - Fallout New Vegas
blah blah blah
DA (external link)

PalaDolphin
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Sep 2016

Nov 08, 2016 08:41 as a reply to  @ FuturamaJSP's post |  #9

I wasn't trying to find the fastest, I was going for the cheapest Photoshop/Lightroom upgrade for an unemployed photographer. I've already designed my ultimate machine and it cost $855. Since I'm crawling along post-processing photos on a Celeron, I can buy this AMD system next month and when I sell enough photographs then upgrade to my dream machine.

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Bleufire.

Nov 08, 2016 11:09 |  #10

PalaDolphin wrote in post #18179140 (external link)
I wasn't trying to find the fastest, I was going for the cheapest Photoshop/Lightroom upgrade for an unemployed photographer. I've already designed my ultimate machine and it cost $855. Since I'm crawling along post-processing photos on a Celeron, I can buy this AMD system next month and when I sell enough photographs then upgrade to my dream machine.

Get a Skylake i3 ~$100 and grab a H110 board for ~$50. When the time comes you can toss in a i5/i7 and have DDR4 RAM available for current and future builds. I doubt that AMD can hang with anything Intel has current generation.

5D*Sigma 50/1.4*EF 17-40/4
New to Photography? ----> ENJOY! Canon DSLR! (external link)

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Bleufire.

Nov 08, 2016 11:36 |  #11

Deardorff wrote in post #18178745 (external link)
Has been at least 5 years since I bought a computer for images. Main concern was FAST processing as it is an imaging computer with Photoshop as the main use. Never, ever online so that was not a concern. Fast graphics card and all geared to speed for gaming.

Works very well for images.

Will be looking before long at getting a newer computer. Are Gaming computers still some of the best for this type of use - again with it not going online?

I'd ditch "Gaming" branded computers from stores. They tend to carry a higher price tag for the "gaming" in the title. They tend to give you little hardware return for the extra money spent. IE: +$200 for a GTX 745 when a GTX 750Ti comes in at $115 and gives 2x performance over the 745. It doesn't make sense.

As mentioned above, CPU (i5/i7 are great) and high RAM (16GB+ Preferably) and fast storage (HDD 7200RPM good but SSD best) are going to be what you want. A GPU will have little to no impact on your editing. Also being online/offline has no impact, it's a useless factor to this although if your using Adobe CC that could be a different factor.

A prebuilt Dell/HP/Lenovo/ETC with a i7 is generally not a bad buy and if you're worried about bloat then you can always download windows and reinstall with a clean slate. Also if you purchase a Business/enterprise/wo​rkstation they tend to come bloatware-less compared to their general consumer line.

As for computer "dying" and saving images, you'd have to research backup solutions, extra HDD? add a NAS? internal HDD? Cloud? That is a whole bucket of fish on it's own.

Deardorff
THREAD ­ STARTER
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Nov 10, 2016 07:51 |  #12

There is no way in the world I am building anything electronic. Overhaul a gas or diesel engine, fine. Replace tie rods or CV joints, fine. Cut down or trim trees, fine.

Nothing to do with electronics - I hate the thought of it.

Just buy a good, fast machine without all the bloatware on it. A machine that will never hook up to the internet. Just be used for image processing and editing.

Bleufire
Goldmember
1,203 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 10, 2016 08:24 |  #13

Deardorff wrote in post #18180748 (external link)
There is no way in the world I am building anything electronic. Overhaul a gas or diesel engine, fine. Replace tie rods or CV joints, fine. Cut down or trim trees, fine.

Just buy a good, fast machine without all the bloatware on it. A machine that will never hook up to the internet. Just be used for image processing and editing.

That wasn't my point. I am not saying to build one but the difference in a gaming machine vs a non-gaming usually is a GPU and "Gaming" in the title.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Look at those two machines. Identical. The only difference is one comes with a GTX 1080 and the other doesn't. Big whoop. That GTX 1080 is currently the top of the line graphics card, not including the Titan, that can be bought for $550 or 600 tops. A premium hybrid water/air cooled goes for $720 which is WAY overpriced. Dell has it priced for $1000 over for probably the most basic air cooled one.

Again, you don't need a GPU for photo editing. YOU DONT NEED IT. Like a $50 GPU vs a $1000 GPU will have near performance in editing. That was my point. By all means, buy a gaming one if you want. I am just trying to save you from buying something that isn't relevant to editing photos.

FuturamaJSP
Goldmember
2,227 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by FuturamaJSP. (2 edits in all)

Nov 10, 2016 08:28 |  #14

wow they are charging 1000 bucks for a non overclocked Founders Edition gtx 1080 as if 900 bucks for a very basic pc with a non-K i7 isnt overpriced enough

Deardorff wrote in post #18180748 (external link)

please choose between

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

blah blah blah
DA (external link)

gabebalazs
Bird Whisperer
7,640 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by gabebalazs.

Nov 18, 2016 23:55 |  #15

In my opinion, and personal experience, there are diminished returns above a certain level of computer specs regarding PS/Lightroom. Games, top games, are designed to utilize a powerful system. So with games, especially the latest-greatest, you can actually see nice improvements when played on a higher-end system (faster fps, capable of higher resolution, better details, etc.). DISCLAIMER: I don't ever do games :) But I know that games can utilize a powerful system.

Photoshop/Lightroom/AC​R however, not so much. There are some improvements in editing/processing speed on a higher end system but the difference is not night and day. The newest version of ACR actually lets you use the GPU to help out but it's not a huge deal, especially if you have a fairly good processor.
I just posted in another thread that after upgrading my decent system (i7-4771, 16gb RAM, GTX 750 Ti, HDD) to a better one (i7-6700K, 32gb DDR4 RAM, GTX 1060 6GB, Samsung SSD) I just didn't see a big jump in performance in Photoshop and ACR. I didn't expect one either though since I had researched and found that PS/Lightroom/ACR is not very good at utilizing higher end powerful systems. For example it's almost a waste of money to buy an expensive 6 or 8 core processor for Photoshop/Lightroom since most processes only utilize up to 4 cores. So generally a 4-core but high clock-speed processor may be better for PS/Lightroom than a 6 or 8-core processor but at a lower clock speed.
Video editing and encoding/rendering is different though, more cores are better there.

SONY A7RIII | SONY A7III | SONY RX10 IV | SONY RX100 | 24-70 2.8 GM | 70-200 2.8 GM | 16-35 F/4 | PZ 18-105 F/4 | FE 85 1.8 | FE 28-70 | SIGMA 35 1.4 ART | SIGMA 150-600 C | ROKINON 14 2.8
Gabe Balazs Photo (external link)
Nature Shots Portfolio (external link)

sponsored links

8,333 views & 1 like for this thread
Gaming computers still good for Photoshop
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.