Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 08 Nov 2016 (Tuesday) 13:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding Photographers Can You Give Me Advice?

katekev04
193 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 08, 2016 13:33 |  #1

I don't know where this should be so mods please feel free to move to the right location.

My brother-in-law was married on July 8, 2016. He's having a problem with his wedding photographer and would like to know what do you guys do or offer if something goes wrong.

Wedding photographer was hired at $3100 just for the service of the photographers, nothing else.
Promised at least 800 total photos.
Two people to cover bride getting ready, church, after church photos and reception.
Both had Canon 5D's. Woman who was the primary shot with a 50mm no speedlite
The guy shot with a 24-105 with speedlite.

They were 38 minutes late. No biggie. Everything went well. Proofs were delivered last week (Novemember 2)

Here's where things get a little blurry...

All the photos of the bride getting ready are gone
All the photos of the groom with his parents are gone
All the photos of the bride with her parents are gone.
All the photos of the extended family with the bride and groom are gone.

Her excuse was that her card was corrupted. But my question is if the card was corrupted why did it skip some photos and corrupt only "chunks" of some?

Now Photographer says she will give a discount on the book and on a springtime photo session. But the bride/groom live in 8 states away.

What do you do in this situation?

sponsored links
ksbal
Goldmember
2,743 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by ksbal. (3 edits in all)

Nov 08, 2016 14:06 |  #2

Wow, that means someone didn't double check the back of the camera when taking the pictures and they weren't exposed right, I bet. A corrupted card could be recovered many times, or at least some of it. Maybe a better explanation is the one with flash didn't know when the flash didn't go off, underexposing the pictures???

If I had done this, I would own it and at least refund half the money. But I don't know what all sides there are to this story... When you miss or lose the formals.. well I hope we hear others more experienced weigh in.

Why would they hire a photographer 8 states away? Was this a destination wedding? Have they googled the photographer's name to see if they had some bad reviews? I don't know if this will be worth pursuing or not. If they did a check of other work done by this duo, and they liked it, you wonder if it was a fake portfolio... I can't think of a photographer worth 3000 that couldn't deliver *something* for the formals-- a total absence is at least half a fail.

But, if they were duped, and this couple faked their portfolio, they may be chasing after a bloodless turnip, and time/money would be better spent having a well checked out photog come to the next family get together and take some good pictures. JMHO.. looking forward to other answers.

If they do have some pictures from the wedding, maybe that should be a sigh of relief they got anything! even though this is terrible... chasing someone down 8 states away may be more problems than it is worth.

I'd be sure to review them on any sites I could find them and maybe submit them to photo stealers (stopstealingphotos.co​m) to be sure the word got out.

I would be doing a 1/2 refund and offering the album for free, IMHO.. But again.. we are hearing a third party, limited side to the story.

This may be better suited to the wedding - talk section. (not the wedding photo section)

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,404 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 08, 2016 14:18 |  #3

katekev04 wrote in post #18179358 (external link)
I don't know where this should be so mods please feel free to move to the right location.

My brother-in-law was married on July 8, 2016. He's having a problem with his wedding photographer and would like to know what do you guys do or offer if something goes wrong.

Wedding photographer was hired at $3100 just for the service of the photographers, nothing else.
Promised at least 800 total photos.
Two people to cover bride getting ready, church, after church photos and reception.
Both had Canon 5D's. Woman who was the primary shot with a 50mm no speedlite
The guy shot with a 24-105 with speedlite.

They were 38 minutes late. No biggie. Everything went well. Proofs were delivered last week (Novemember 2)

Here's where things get a little blurry...

All the photos of the bride getting ready are gone
All the photos of the groom with his parents are gone
All the photos of the bride with her parents are gone.
All the photos of the extended family with the bride and groom are gone.

Her excuse was that her card was corrupted. But my question is if the card was corrupted why did it skip some photos and corrupt only "chunks" of some?

Now Photographer says she will give a discount on the book and on a springtime photo session. But the bride/groom live in 8 states away.

What do you do in this situation?

I'd ask for my money back.

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
941 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Nov 08, 2016 14:19 |  #4

As a photographer, a card failure would be covered under professional liability or errors and omissions insurance policy. I'd contact my agent and make a claim if the images couldn't be recovered for a reasonable cost.

As a customer, I'd be reviewing the contract, and searching for an attorney to contact the photographer. If the card was corrupted, the data can typically be recovered. The cost for that recovery is on the photographer. Most contracts (at least good ones) outline the recourse the customer has if an unexpected event causes the photographer to not fulfill the contract, for instance an act of god, studio fire, stolen equipment, etc.

Have your brother-in-law review the contract, and see what terms are listed.

katekev04
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 08, 2016 14:32 |  #5

Thanks for the responses.

Here is a question:

She was taking group family posed shots at a low light reception hall with her 50mm without a speedlite. Could it been that her apature was so low that the group was out of focus? So inside of being embarrassed she just used the excuse that the card was corrupted? I thought it was weird that she never touched a flash that night and shot with a 50mm all the time.

peeaanuut
Goldmember
3,543 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 08, 2016 14:36 as a reply to  @ katekev04's post |  #6

Is it possible she was doing stylized shots but not main shooter?

But in reality its not really a worry to figure out how they screwed up, they screwed up. Now to figure out what to do about that. I would ask for a partial refund if not full refund. My confidence in their abilities would be low so a discounted re-shoot or even free shoot wouldn't please me. Its really going to come down how the contract is worded in regards to what the customers recourse is.

Stuff
http://joetakesphotos.​com/ (external link) : | : https://www.facebook.c​om/JKlingPhotos (external link) : | : https://twitter.com/jk​lingphotos (external link)
airbutchie - Joe was definitely right about adding contrast...
:)

katekev04
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 08, 2016 14:43 as a reply to  @ Qlayer2's post |  #7

Photographer said she sent the card out to a few different places and nothing could be recovered. But like I said, its like bits and pieces of the photos are lost...Do cards corrupt like that? I have over a hundred CF cards and never had a corrupt one. Weird.

katekev04
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 08, 2016 15:03 |  #8

peeaanuut wrote in post #18179432 (external link)
Is it possible she was doing stylized shots but not main shooter?

But in reality its not really a worry to figure out how they screwed up, they screwed up. Now to figure out what to do about that. I would ask for a partial refund if not full refund. My confidence in their abilities would be low so a discounted re-shoot or even free shoot wouldn't please me. Its really going to come down how the contract is worded in regards to what the customers recourse is.

Not taking stylized shots. I just want to know if they are being lied to. Things happen and I personally am a forgiving person when not being lied to. I just want them to be made whole for as much that can be. I know there are professional's on this board and like to know what they do for a client when stuff happens.
Shooting a wedding is very scary to me.

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,274 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Post edited over 2 years ago by joedlh. (3 edits in all)

Nov 08, 2016 15:55 |  #9

Doesn't the 5D have dual card slots?

This sounds like a "dog ate my homework" excuse. If the group shots were in low light, it's possible that the lens had to be opened up to 1.4, which would give a very narrow depth of field for a group shot. And maybe the ISO was ramped up, producing too much noise.

I don't care how high my ISO can go or the maximum aperture of my lens. I would never shoot any kind of event without a speedlite at the ready and a backup.

Promising 800 photos sounds like pray and spray to me.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

katekev04
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 08, 2016 17:49 as a reply to  @ joedlh's post |  #10

I was shooting myself with the 1DX and that has duel slots. I took over 200 photos because my little girls were in the wedding. My brother-in-law called and was happy I had taken so many photos.

Scott ­ Spellman
203 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 08, 2016 20:04 |  #11

It certainly is possible for CF and SD memory cards to get damaged or corrupted. Of the 40 memory cards I have purchased in 12 years, it has happened to me twice.

It obvious that a large portion of the wedding photos have been lost, and that some significant adjustment to the whole bill is the the only real fair settlement. I would involve a lawyer to negotiate a recovery of a large portion of the wedding fee. Its odd to me that the photographer has not been more apologetic and make a better settlement offer.

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,140 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Nov 08, 2016 21:14 |  #12

katekev04 wrote in post #18179438 (external link)
Photographer said she sent the card out to a few different places and nothing could be recovered. But like I said, its like bits and pieces of the photos are lost...Do cards corrupt like that? I have over a hundred CF cards and never had a corrupt one. Weird.

Yes, that is often how cards corrupt. Data is written in blocks and it is common for corruption to span several images, destroying parts of each one.

Has the photographer shown you any of the corrupted images or just told you that is what happened?

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

ksbal
Goldmember
2,743 posts
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by ksbal. (4 edits in all)

Nov 09, 2016 08:13 |  #13

katekev04 wrote in post #18179426 (external link)
Thanks for the responses.

Here is a question:

She was taking group family posed shots at a low light reception hall with her 50mm without a speedlite. Could it been that her apature was so low that the group was out of focus? So inside of being embarrassed she just used the excuse that the card was corrupted? I thought it was weird that she never touched a flash that night and shot with a 50mm all the time.

Did they both have 5D classics? a 50mm on my 5D3 and even if I was stupid and shot at f1.8 Something should be in focus.. maybe not everyone, but probably enough that at 4x6 print, it would be good enough everyone should be recognizable, and I'd turn that over rather than turn over nothing.

However, if these are 5Dc's... and they were on auto AF, and the darn thing said it was locked on an outer point.. Odds are better than good that image is out of focus, and possibly even badly... and they didn't want to turn them over because then you can show they had poor work product. My 5D2 has a similar AF and I hated it when I'd hear it confirm an outer AF and shoot and get back to the computer to find the image OOF - badly. In a low lit hall.. that was almost a sure bet.

If all the shots missing were in low light group settings... well....

I've never heard or seen anyone that had corrupt/not corrupt images on the same CF card on a 5DC... I have heard/read about this when doing dual writes on a 5D3. ... but usually the image is green cast for half or magenta cast off color for half.. and they are doing jpg to one and raw to the other card.

If they did turn over decent in focus shots.. then I don't think a full refund is in order. But it sounds like they botched part of the job, and certainly a partial refund is in order.

I don't know of a photographer that 'sends out their card to a couple places' for recovery. Most of us know how to google 'free card recovery software' and we download one and try it. I had to do that just the other day on a shoot I somehow deleted/wrote over a card.. but I was able to recover most of the images... fortunately they weren't critical and it wasn't a wedding, but I took the time and tried two programs to recover what I got. Unless they live in the big city, but out here in Kansas, I don't know where I would even send my card to for recovery.

ksbal
Goldmember
2,743 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 09, 2016 08:23 |  #14

katekev04 wrote in post #18179438 (external link)

Just out of curiousity, why do you have 'a hundred' CF cards?

katekev04
THREAD ­ STARTER
193 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Nov 10, 2016 07:38 |  #15

ksbal wrote in post #18179987 (external link)
Just out of curiousity, why do you have 'a hundred' CF cards?

I take photos. My little girls were in the wedding so I brought my 1DX and a 70-200mm so I wouldn't get in the photographers way. Plus I came home and worked on them so I could give them something very quick.
I don't have enough moxie or knowledge on my part to shoot weddings...very stressful. They were happy that I gave them photos that they would not have had if I didn't take them.

sponsored links

3,818 views & 3 likes for this thread
Wedding Photographers Can You Give Me Advice?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.