Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 07 Nov 2016 (Monday) 20:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adobe CC Doesn't Work; I Need Something Else!

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by chauncey.

Nov 08, 2016 17:03 |  #16

I'm not a fan of Adobe.

Ya kinda need a triple digit IQ to learn Photoshop.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

sponsored links
snegron
THREAD ­ STARTER
330 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 08, 2016 17:07 |  #17

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18178791 (external link)
I'd take a good look at Capture One for RAW files,.

As for a pixel editor, you can find the old "Photoshop CS2" for free direct from Adobe,. it's 32 bit, but still works on Windows 7 64 anyway.

I actually have my old CS2 disk. I would use it in a heartbeat, but I wouldn't be able to open any of my 7dmk2 RAW files ( no ACR updates availably for CS2). That was actually the main reason I purchased the new laptop with the latest Windows OS.

snegron
THREAD ­ STARTER
330 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 08, 2016 17:13 |  #18

texkam wrote in post #18179544 (external link)
I swore off HP years ago for reasons too numerous to mention. I see things apparently have not changed with them.

I was originally going to buy a Dell, but after helping a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago with an issue contacting Dell custumer service, I was saddened to see how terrible and unhelpful they have become. A far cry of the Dell of a few years ago.

I then set my sights on a Toshiba, but they stopped selling them at the stores in my city. Online plenty of complaints regarding poor performance and QC.

So, I ended up settling for an HP. Nit that I'm thrilled; more like not much of a choice in my case

snegron
THREAD ­ STARTER
330 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 08, 2016 17:21 |  #19

Update:

I was finally able to load the Adobe app on my laptop after close to 5 hours. The Lightroom app loaded on my desktop, but I was only able to access Photoshop CC while online.

I spoke to a live person ar Adobe and she was able to load the Photoshop CC on my desktop. Took her only 1/2 hour. She advised she had never encountered this type of problem and was not sure what the cause was.

So, I finally got to edit a few dozen pics in Photoshop CC. Feels familiar to me after using CS2 for the past several years. Not blazingly fast, but not slow as molasses either.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
11,681 posts
Gallery: 530 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Nov 08, 2016 17:28 |  #20

snegron wrote in post #18179584 (external link)
I was originally going to buy a Dell, but after helping a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago with an issue contacting Dell custumer service, I was saddened to see how terrible and unhelpful they have become. A far cry of the Dell of a few years ago.

I then set my sights on a Toshiba, but they stopped selling them at the stores in my city. Online plenty of complaints regarding poor performance and QC.

So, I ended up settling for an HP. Nit that I'm thrilled; more like not much of a choice in my case

That's unfortunate about Dell customer service. I have a Dell XPS 13 laptop and it is great, so I have not had any need to negotiate Dell's service, and it sounds like that is a good thing.

It's notable, though, that you went from Dell to HP. Long ago HP was a technical company of the highest caliber. After they had acquired a big customer base with great customer service, the service rather suddenly changed from very good to very bad. There was shock and complaints everywhere about them. That stuck in my mind, and ever since then, I have avoided HP. This all happened long ago, so wouldn't be a basis for comparing companies today. I think service has declined everywhere.

If you have identified a specific problem with the HP, could you just return it and start over?

Canon R5, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX10 IV
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here

Archibald
You must be quackers!
11,681 posts
Gallery: 530 photos
Joined May 2008

Nov 08, 2016 17:32 |  #21

snegron wrote in post #18179593 (external link)
Update:

I was finally able to load the Adobe app on my laptop after close to 5 hours. The Lightroom app loaded on my desktop, but I was only able to access Photoshop CC while online.

I spoke to a live person ar Adobe and she was able to load the Photoshop CC on my desktop. Took her only 1/2 hour. She advised she had never encountered this type of problem and was not sure what the cause was.

So, I finally got to edit a few dozen pics in Photoshop CC. Feels familiar to me after using CS2 for the past several years. Not blazingly fast, but not slow as molasses either.

I thought this was about your laptop. ??

Anyway, glad you are making progress.

Canon R5, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses, Sony RX10 IV
I'm Ed. C&C always welcome. Picture editing OK. Donate to POTN here

snegron
THREAD ­ STARTER
330 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Nov 08, 2016 19:30 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #22

So far Photoshop is working on my HP. I don't plan to load anything else on it, so I'm hoping it will continue to work.

I haven't noticed any other glitches so far (then again, I haven't loaded any other programs). I'll give it a few more days. Probably will go out and shoot a ton of RAW pics this weekend to see how my HP handles it.

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,985 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 09, 2016 02:41 |  #23

snegron wrote in post #18178755 (external link)
Quite obvious Adobe CC is incompatable with Windows 10.

Obviously not.

snegron wrote in post #18179687 (external link)
So far Photoshop is working on my HP.

I've just caught my wedding vegetables in the flange!!!
You've got the face of an angel and the willy of the Loch Ness monster.

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,634 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 09, 2016 05:14 |  #24

snegron wrote in post #18178755 (external link)
Therefore, I need to find a photo editing program (please not anything made by Adobe, especially Lightroom). It needs to let me batch process RAW files and work with layers. Any suggestions?

I work with Canon's DPP, followed by the powerful PhotoLine when necessary.

http://pl32.com/ (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 09, 2016 05:20 |  #25

agedbriar wrote in post #18179910 (external link)
I work with Canon's DPP, followed by the powerful PhotoLine when necessary.

http://pl32.com/ (external link)

Perhaps you could explain your workflow! If you use DPP to process your Raw files, and then send your photos into other software, you either "lose" the Raw (convert to a tiff or jpeg) or you have to start from scratch developing the Raw -- you lose the DPP Raw edits...?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,634 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by agedbriar.

Nov 09, 2016 05:42 |  #26

Yes, I save the DPP conversions to TIFF, which is mostly my final format, as I seldom need JPEGs.
I print at home.

DPP saves the conversion parameters inside the raw file.

pknight
Goldmember
2,693 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 09, 2016 10:15 |  #27

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18179467 (external link)
I for one am drooling waiting for this release!

One issue that On1 would not address for me when I asked was the ability to search for images with specific keywords or flags. I have 70,000+ images in my LR catalog. I tried using On1 Photo 10 to search a single folder tree with about 3,000 images for those images rated 5 stars. It could not do it. I left it running over night, and it never finished. Never mind searching all 70,000 images, or more complex searches. I had made all of the images in the folder tree "favorites," as suggested on the On1 forum, but that made no difference.

Now, perhaps On1 Photo Raw works differently than Photo 10, but it does not have a catalog, so any searching of the entire collection (and yes, I do this) is going to have to take quite a long time, even if it does work. I can search for any combination of attributes across my entire collection of images in LR, and have the results in seconds. The marginal increase in speed touted by On1 due to the lack of a catalog makes no difference to me if I cannot search efficiently.

Of course, I contacted On1 with questions about this months ago, but nobody could answer my questions about whether Photo Raw would enable me to search across large numbers of images. The only time my questions were not ignored, I was told that they were being sent to more technically savvy employees, who never got back to me.

I have used On1 Photo for several generations. I like it as a plug-in. However, I am not keen about buying the new program if a basic function like searching for images is as crippled as it is in On1 Photo 10. If only On1 would tell me if Photo Raw is better in this regard or not. Without a catalog, I can't imagine that it is.

Digital EOS 90D Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,052 posts
Gallery: 547 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Nov 09, 2016 11:49 |  #28

pknight wrote in post #18180042 (external link)
One issue that On1 would not address for me when I asked was the ability to search for images with specific keywords or flags. I have 70,000+ images in my LR catalog. I tried using On1 Photo 10 to search a single folder tree with about 3,000 images for those images rated 5 stars. It could not do it. I left it running over night, and it never finished. Never mind searching all 70,000 images, or more complex searches. I had made all of the images in the folder tree "favorites," as suggested on the On1 forum, but that made no difference.

Now, perhaps On1 Photo Raw works differently than Photo 10, but it does not have a catalog, so any searching of the entire collection (and yes, I do this) is going to have to take quite a long time, even if it does work. I can search for any combination of attributes across my entire collection of images in LR, and have the results in seconds. The marginal increase in speed touted by On1 due to the lack of a catalog makes no difference to me if I cannot search efficiently.

Of course, I contacted On1 with questions about this months ago, but nobody could answer my questions about whether Photo Raw would enable me to search across large numbers of images. The only time my questions were not ignored, I was told that they were being sent to more technically savvy employees, who never got back to me.

I have used On1 Photo for several generations. I like it as a plug-in. However, I am not keen about buying the new program if a basic function like searching for images is as crippled as it is in On1 Photo 10. If only On1 would tell me if Photo Raw is better in this regard or not. Without a catalog, I can't imagine that it is.

Any program that is not using a database system is going to have to serially open each file, read the data from the specified location in the file, or potentially the whole file, and then parse it looking for the appropriate string(s). It will need to do this for every specified file, in all of the folders, in all of the paths where the image files are stored. It's not going to be a quick process on an internal SATA III SSD, let alone a USB2 or network attached drive over wifi. I just had a quick look at Bridge, and I see that now you can have Smart collections, just like LR, so I just pointed it at my data drive, since it looks like it is one drive, or "Desktop" as your highest level for searching, and asked it to search for two IPTC News codes: 04015001, and 16012000; that was about ten minutes ago and it is still chugging away and seems to be stuck in a folder with 200 odd JPEG files, and has been for about half the time it's been running. This is on my new i7 6700, 16 GB RAM Dell XPS 8900 computer, reading from a 2TB internal HDD under Win 10. On my old Celeron laptop, with 3 GB RAM and with images spread across 4 drives connected by USB2, with the LR catalogue on one of those external drives The same search to set up a smart collection would take literally a couple of seconds, there are about 27000 out of around 40000 images in my LR library. Well it's been about 15 min now and Bridge still seems stuck in that same folder.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

pknight
Goldmember
2,693 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Nov 09, 2016 21:28 |  #29

BigAl007 wrote in post #18180107 (external link)
Any program that is not using a database system is going to have to serially open each file, read the data from the specified location in the file, or potentially the whole file, and then parse it looking for the appropriate string(s). It will need to do this for every specified file, in all of the folders, in all of the paths where the image files are stored. It's not going to be a quick process on an internal SATA III SSD, let alone a USB2 or network attached drive over wifi. I just had a quick look at Bridge, and I see that now you can have Smart collections, just like LR, so I just pointed it at my data drive, since it looks like it is one drive, or "Desktop" as your highest level for searching, and asked it to search for two IPTC News codes: 04015001, and 16012000; that was about ten minutes ago and it is still chugging away and seems to be stuck in a folder with 200 odd JPEG files, and has been for about half the time it's been running. This is on my new i7 6700, 16 GB RAM Dell XPS 8900 computer, reading from a 2TB internal HDD under Win 10. On my old Celeron laptop, with 3 GB RAM and with images spread across 4 drives connected by USB2, with the LR catalogue on one of those external drives The same search to set up a smart collection would take literally a couple of seconds, there are about 27000 out of around 40000 images in my LR library. Well it's been about 15 min now and Bridge still seems stuck in that same folder.

Alan

Apparently the Smart Collections in Bridge do not rely upon a catalog as in LR. The search capabilities of LR are, for me, one of its greatest strengths, and unless something else comes along with features that make waiting forever for a search worthwhile, I can't see learning a new program.

Digital EOS 90D Canon: EF 50mm f/1.8 II, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, Life-Size Converter EF Tamron: SP 17-50mm f/2.8 DiII, 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 DiII VC HLD, SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, SP 70-200 f/2.8 Di VC USD, 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 DiII VC HLD Sigma: 30mm f/1.4 DC Art Rokinon: 8mm f/3.5 AS IF UMC

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,885 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Nov 10, 2016 09:48 |  #30

tonylong wrote in post #18179913 (external link)
Perhaps you could explain your workflow! If you use DPP to process your Raw files, and then send your photos into other software, you either "lose" the Raw (convert to a tiff or jpeg) or you have to start from scratch developing the Raw -- you lose the DPP Raw edits...?

agedbriar wrote in post #18179919 (external link)
Yes, I save the DPP conversions to TIFF, which is mostly my final format, as I seldom need JPEGs.
I print at home.

DPP saves the conversion parameters inside the raw file.

In the old days, this was how all raw converters worked. They only did the RAW part, you output a Tif or JPEG, depending on your own personal level of OCD, and then you did the final edit in a raster editor like Photoshop. In those days, ALL noise reduction, all sharpening, was best handled in PS, these =were all left at ZERO in what ever RAW editor you used.

One thing I will say positive about LR, is that it was the raw converter that made this kind of editing in a RAW processor popular (it did not however invent, as most all of LR was simply copied from C1 and others)

Even Adobe's first venture into RAW processing, the ACR built into PS, worked this way, convert to tif and contunue the raster editing in PS. With ACR being streamlined in the fact that it was part of PS, you were already there.

So Tony, back in 2005, pretty much no one output a file from Canon's RAW converter and used it as is. It always ended up as a raster image getting it's final edit in a raster editor.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

8,215 views & 19 likes for this thread
Adobe CC Doesn't Work; I Need Something Else!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.