Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 31 May 2016 (Tuesday) 04:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sports lens

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,665 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jun 05, 2016 17:00 |  #16

Well, I don't get the responses in this thread. The OP asked for advice on zoom lenses that would give her more reach than the one that she is already using, and you are just prattling on about camera bodies. Totally irrelevant.

I’ve had more intelligent conversations with lobotomised amoebas.
.- -. --- - .... . .-. -- --- .-. --- -. .. -.-. -- --- .-. --- -. .- -.. -.. . -.. - --- -- -.-- .. --. -. --- .-. . .-.. .. ... -

sponsored links
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jun 05, 2016 17:52 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

john crossley wrote in post #18030267 (external link)
Well, I don't get the responses in this thread. The OP asked for advice on zoom lenses that would give her more reach than the one that she is already using, and you are just prattling on about camera bodies. Totally irrelevant.

I think she got her answer or answers long ago over at the Canon ef lens section. :) I know because I was in that discussion.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,005 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Jun 06, 2016 05:55 |  #18

OK DR is a bit different than ISO performance. I could see the DR being better, if you have underexposed areas and push those up a bit. Anything from 2011-ish or earlier from Canon could be a bit lacking in that department due to the sensor/ADC design.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,104 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 13, 2016 16:48 |  #19

john crossley wrote in post #18030267 (external link)

Because sometimes someone's expectations aren't going to come true no matter how much they spend, if they are limited in another area. In this case, she is limited by the camera body. She also did not mention a budget number, so while she was being told to get a lens that used is $800+, she may only have a $400 budget. Since her primary goal was to get better sports action, a suggestion was made to have a body better capable of capturing you guessed it... sports! She can spent $10k on a prime L and if the body can't AF fast enough for the action she wishes to capture, then it's just $10k wasted.

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Nov 10, 2016 08:45 |  #20

rdalrt wrote in post #18026095 (external link)
These are not bad at all. The first one I would try cropping vertical and a bit tighter on the two jumpers. Since the feet/ground are lost already, maybe a vertical crop from the waist or mid thigh up. Too bad about cutting off the ball, but with a slow frame rate camera you don't always get the peak action.

The second I would try cropping into just the 3 players in the middle that are involved in the action. The rest of the players are contributing nothing to the picture.

WHY would you crop for a vertical composition when it should have been shot that way?

Way too many are afraid to shoot vertical compositions. Look at magazine covers - very few are horizontal setups.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

McNeese72
Goldmember
1,244 posts
Gallery: 919 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 17, 2016 16:14 |  #21

Deardorff wrote in post #18180777 (external link)
WHY would you crop for a vertical composition when it should have been shot that way?

Way too many are afraid to shoot vertical compositions. Look at magazine covers - very few are horizontal setups.

When you are shooting action sports, you don't always have the luxury of time to change orientation for compositional purposes.

Doc

Canon EOS 20D | 1 7D gripped | 2 7D2's gripped | EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS | EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II USM | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM | EF 50 F1.8 | Sigma 17-50 F2.8 OS | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM | Canon Extender EF 2x III | Editing of photos is okay.

Doc's Shots (external link) USMMcNeese72 Flickr Page (external link)

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Nov 20, 2016 07:42 |  #22

McNeese72 wrote in post #18187380 (external link)
When you are shooting action sports, you don't always have the luxury of time to change orientation for compositional purposes.

Doc

Maybe you need to work more with your gear and your technique?

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

Yaryman
167 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 03, 2016 09:15 |  #23

Deardorff wrote in post #18180777 (external link)

I'll try and phrase this nicely.

What in the world are you talking about?

Is one trying to capture the action, or get a magazine cover without a cropped photo?

In 1 second a human can jump about 2 feet in the air, in that same 1 second they can travel almost 10 yards horizontally.

Why wouldn't you want to have the most area of coverage possible?

Napa Valley Wedding Photography (external link)
ProPhoto Discount Code (external link)

sponsored links

8,512 views & 1 like for this thread
Sports lens
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.