Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 10 Nov 2016 (Thursday) 01:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

So this is what Canon has been doing instead of keep it's sensor tech relevant.

Jarvis ­ Creative ­ Studios
Goldmember
2,347 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 10, 2016 01:44 |  #1

http://petapixel.com …eal-canon-cameras-lenses/ (external link)

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

sponsored links
DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,836 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Nov 10, 2016 01:48 |  #2

you'd think they'd have better lenses to choose from

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,347 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 10, 2016 02:15 |  #3

DreDaze wrote in post #18180630 (external link)
you'd think they'd have better lenses to choose from

and more recent bodies. Wasn't one of them the 1DX?

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)
Sony HX90V || Sony RX100V || Sony a6500 || Sony a9 || Sony E 10-18mm f/4 OSS || Sony FE 24-70 f/2.8 GM || Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA || Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f1.8 ZA || Sony FE 70-200 f/2.8 GM OSS || Godox speedlights and strobes

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,093 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by Picture North Carolina with reason 'sphelling'.

Nov 10, 2016 06:45 |  #4

Another example of corporate incompetence - a company that has grown so big, changing their way of thinking is like turning a large oil tanker at sea.

Another example of a marketing department gone amuck, using resources and burning money that could be better used by the product development team.

People who want, need, and buy equipment to produce good quality images are smarter than to be manipulated, fooled, and sold by gimmicks. Apparently Canon continues to be stuck in the old school of thinking.

But hey, hasn't that always been Canon's way? To let other companies conceive and develop new ideas? To follow the leads of others and to implement those ideas only after others have shown success with them?

Canon continues to be guided by a bunch of doddering old men who have no vision left.

Website (external link) |

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 10, 2016 07:01 |  #5

Canon continues to be guided by a bunch of doddering old men who have no vision left.

Those doddering old men have a sufficiently developed prefrontal cortex that is missing in the younger generation.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,246 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.
Post edited over 1 year ago by joedlh. (2 edits in all)

Nov 10, 2016 08:00 |  #6

Canon's sensor tech is not relevant? Where have I been? I'm still getting pretty good shots from my 40D. I think all the low-hanging fruit for sensor development has been picked. We're more or less at the asymptote.

hasn't that always been Canon's way? To let other companies conceive and develop new ideas? To follow the leads of others and to implement those ideas only after others have shown success with them?

If I recall correctly, Canon designed the first CMOS sensor when everybody else was still using CCDs. Others could no doubt provide other examples.

It seems like a pretty cool application if virtual reality is your thing. I wouldn't put this in the category of "old school of thinking".

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Luckless
Goldmember
3,061 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Nov 10, 2016 13:21 |  #7

Canon spends a relatively minimal amount on building tools and marketing material to help consumers make decisions, and expands that to use some of the latest and most cutting edge software development concepts - The reply? "Canon never innovates!"

This wasn't a billion dollar project by the looks of things. More like something produced in house as experimental software and used to let the company better explore how VR might be useable by the company. Don't forget, Canon does a lot more than just sell cameras. Spending money for first hand VR exploration development work just makes sense. That is the kind of stuff that could be worth billions in medical imaging field, and showing off new tech to upper management types generally goes far better when you can show it directly relating to an existing business segment.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,336 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 10, 2016 13:45 |  #8

joedlh wrote in post #18180755 (external link)
If I recall correctly, Canon designed the first CMOS sensor when everybody else was still using CCDs. Others could no doubt provide other examples..

NASA at JPL (external link) invented the CMOS sensor and licensed it.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,347 posts
Joined Aug 2013

Nov 10, 2016 14:50 |  #9

Luckless wrote in post #18180979 (external link)
Canon spends a relatively minimal amount on building tools and marketing material to help consumers make decisions, and expands that to use some of the latest and most cutting edge software development concepts - The reply? "Canon never innovates!"

This wasn't a billion dollar project by the looks of things. More like something produced in house as experimental software and used to let the company better explore how VR might be useable by the company. Don't forget, Canon does a lot more than just sell cameras. Spending money for first hand VR exploration development work just makes sense. That is the kind of stuff that could be worth billions in medical imaging field, and showing off new tech to upper management types generally goes far better when you can show it directly relating to an existing business segment.

First of all, calm down. I meant this post as jest. Of course Canon has to be somewhat innovative to be the best selling imaging company. But you have to admit they have fallen behind in many areas, and price is not one of them.

From their 5D series to their EOS-M series to their 1" sensor point and shoots, everything they release has been done better by someone else already. The cameras they've been releasing have been 1 product cycle behind Sony (and in some cases more than 1). I hope they catch up soon, but we've also been saying that for awhile.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,453 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Nov 10, 2016 15:38 |  #10

gjl711 wrote in post #18180990 (external link)
NASA at JPL (external link) invented the CMOS sensor and licensed it.

But details may have been inaccurate, but Canon was the first to mass FAB the CMOS and put it in their DSLRs.. and remained the only one doing it for some years.

Live view and Video in DLSR,. dual pixel AF,.

Many lens manufacturers still have not come up with their own "copy" of Canon's Image Stabilization, or their own "copy" of Canon's UltraSonic motor focusing.

Sorry the claim that Canon never innovates but only copies,. is just plain overblown hyperbole.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,453 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems. (4 edits in all)

Nov 10, 2016 15:42 |  #11

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18181041 (external link)
From their 5D series ..

Sorry, still not sounding factual to me.

The 5D was the first of it's kind. There was not for a few years anything else like it on the market. An affordable FF DSLR. Nikon wasn't even making FF yet.

5D2 was the First of it's kind, Huge MP FF, affordable, AND the first to offer Video in a DSLR.

5D series ends up being a poster child for the opposite P.O.V. to your statement.

P.S. I totally agree that the "first person camera shooter" video game is a silly idea, and a wasted effort! :)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,246 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Nov 10, 2016 15:57 |  #12

Jarvis Creative Studios wrote in post #18181041 (external link)
First of all, calm down.

The cameras they've been releasing have been 1 product cycle behind Sony (and in some cases more than 1)

Who is not calm? You're the one coming out with the hyperbolic claims. The responses have been calm, factual statements.

As I expressed earlier, sensor technology is at an asymptote. Being one product cycle behind another manufacturer is crucial only to gear heads and pixel peepers. Everybody else is out taking pictures with the great technology that they have. No human can tell that a photo was taken on a three year old camera instead of a hot new product.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,860 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 10, 2016 17:02 as a reply to  @ Jarvis Creative Studios's post |  #13

I don't see how everyone else has done everything better than Canon yet Canon somehow remains the best selling Imaging company. That is one heck of a contradiction. The thing is, yes. On a component vs component or functionality vs functionality level one could make the case that other cameras are better that Canon's but we don't buy custom, personalized cameras. We're obliged to buy cameras as a system out of the box with all the gives and takes and somewhere come up with the best one for our use. I love cameras and trying new tech. Over the past few years I've owned several Nikon bodies as well as mirrorless systems from Sony (x2), Olympus and Fuji. All great cameras but they don't best Canon DSLR as a complete system for my use and at the end of the day that's the only thing that counts. Me. Your comment about price is misleading as well. I've gotten the better returns on the secondary market for my Canon gear than all the other systems I've sold. Entry price is one thing but you have to look a little further.

Cameras are more than reviews, graphs, charts, or what people may say about them on forums or blogs. They are a personal items and no opinion matters beyond that of the user. All of this garbage about DR, product cycles, etc is useless rhetoric. Take a look at just about anyone on the forum who has switched brands. The gear changes but at a basic level the photography remains the same. Percy W. Harris said that skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase. People should be aware of that today more than ever. Never before have companies had so many tools to separate consumers from their money. If anyone thinks the next great camera is going to make them a better photographer they need their head examined. As a final note, I stayed away from this forum for a long time because of useless, inflammatory threads like this one and the wars and bad feeling they lead to. Kind of a shame we have to deal with this constantly. Hope to see less of it in the future. I'm not a mod but I think the team should consider weeding out a lot of these threads and the people that start them.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,347 posts
Joined Aug 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by Jarvis Creative Studios.

Nov 10, 2016 18:52 |  #14

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18181072 (external link)
Sorry, still not sounding factual to me.

The 5D was the first of it's kind. There was not for a few years anything else like it on the market. An affordable FF DSLR. Nikon wasn't even making FF yet.

5D2 was the First of it's kind, Huge MP FF, affordable, AND the first to offer Video in a DSLR.

5D series ends up being a poster child for the opposite P.O.V. to your statement.

P.S. I totally agree that the "first person camera shooter" video game is a silly idea, and a wasted effort! :)

I should've clarified. The 5D, 5D2, and even 5D3 were innovative and cutting edge, especially the first 2. I was referring to the current 5D4, which by all accounts looks on paper like a 5d3 with a few more mp, a few firmware upgrades and an extra button.

However I know you own the 5D4 so if I'm wrong feel free to educate me.

WEBSITE (external link)
flickr (external link)

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,245 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jul 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by Scrumhalf.

Nov 10, 2016 18:58 |  #15

Hmmm.. I thought the consensus is that the 5D4 is a solid and step function improvement over the 5D3 and has some potentially revolutionary features, and that it is probably the most complete and well rounded DSLR on the market today.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

sponsored links

4,846 views & 13 likes for this thread
So this is what Canon has been doing instead of keep it's sensor tech relevant.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.