Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 12 Nov 2016 (Saturday) 16:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Horsehead and Flame nebula

Toxic ­ Coolaid
Goldmember
1,056 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Nov 12, 2016 16:41 |  #1

29 x 240 sec RGB
4 x 1200 sec 12 Nm Ha
HaR+RGB combonation method
Advanced VX mount
dual 65EDQ telescopes
60D (modded) & 60Da

I've been attempting to use a new (to me) method of combining Ha stacks with RGB stacks. I'm finally getting the results I was hoping for. The dual scope setup makes it so nice to be able to capture both sets of images at the same time :)

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5688/22765203098_fed1a45ca3_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://www.flickr.com …098/in/datepost​ed-public/  (external link)
Horsehead HaRGB (external link) by mokpt2 (external link) on Flickr

sponsored links
andicus
261 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 13, 2016 15:05 |  #2

This is an absolutely stunning image. Well done, indeed!

TCampbell
451 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 15, 2016 10:14 |  #3

Toxic Coolaid wrote in post #18182766 (external link)
29 x 240 sec RGB
4 x 1200 sec 12 Nm Ha
Advanced VX mount
dual 65EDQ telescopes
60D (modded) & 60Da

I've been attempting to use a new (to me) method of combining Ha stacks with RGB stacks. I'm finally getting the results I was hoping for. The dual scope setup makes it so nice to be able to capture both sets of images at the same time :)

QUOTED IMAGE

That's gorgeous! Very nicely done!

What are you using for an Ha filter? I was out shooting the Bubble nebula a couple of weeks ago and really wanted an Ha filter to let me gather a lot more Ha data without gathering all the light pollution. I have a number of filters in my bag... but I haven't yet picked up one for Ha.

Toxic ­ Coolaid
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,056 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Toxic Coolaid. (2 edits in all)

Nov 15, 2016 18:10 as a reply to  @ TCampbell's post |  #4

Thank you. I've missed getting to image. The narrowbad filters are letting me shoot from home with bad LP, so I'm getting to do some processing again. I use Astronomik 12nm clip-in. I also have the 6nm Ha but I have not used it much. I used the 12nm Ha and OIII the other night with a 99% Moon and combined them with a synthetic green with good results. I am just learning to use Ha and OIII in my imaging process, but I like them. My 60D does have a has a full mod so it lets the red in well.

http://www.astronomik.​com …mik-h-alpha-ccd-12nm.html (external link)
http://www.astronomik.​com …-astronomik-oiii-ccd.html (external link)

jilldwr
31 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined May 2016

Dec 06, 2016 16:27 |  #5

Toxic Coolaid wrote in post #18182766 (external link)
29 x 240 sec RGB
4 x 1200 sec 12 Nm Ha
Advanced VX mount
dual 65EDQ telescopes
60D (modded) & 60Da

QUOTED IMAGE

This is a Spectacular shot!

Canon 5D3, 7D2, 7D, T4i, Tokina 12-24 F4, Canon 24-70 F2.8, Canon 70-200 F4 L IS USM,Canon 70-300 F4-5.6 IS USM, Sigma 150-600 C, Tokina 100mm Macro, Tokina 28-70 F2.8

naddieuk
460 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 07, 2016 02:58 |  #6

Wow!!! Just Wow!!!! This is an absolutely stunning photo!!!!!

Canon Powershot S95, Canon EOS 1000D attached to Skywatcher Explorer 150P on an EQ-3 unguided mount.
My Flickr site. (external link)

okieplainsdrifter
60 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 07, 2016 18:47 |  #7

Excellent detail sir! If you do not mind me asking, how are you combining you Ha with the RGB? I am working on a widefield of Orion myself using various method with Pixinght with mixed results.

Toxic ­ Coolaid
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,056 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 07, 2016 22:06 as a reply to  @ okieplainsdrifter's post |  #8

Thank you guys :)

Naddieuk, I'm using a dual scope setup so I have 2 sets of images Ha form the Modded 60D and RGB from the 60Da. In DSS I use a frame from the 60Da as a reference in both stacks so they are aligned by DSS and easy to combine in PS. I use PS6 and combine the Red channels from the RGB and Ha to get a RGBHa. I usually go back and use the Ha to add some luminance. I'll add a link if I can find it. It gives a good combination method. Hopefully something like it can be used in PIX. It has taken me a lot of playing around to get the results I want when combining. But the method below works very well.

Found it. I hope this helps.
https://starizona.com …cd/software/ps_​hargb.aspx (external link)

sponsored links

2,355 views & 21 likes for this thread
Horsehead and Flame nebula
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.