Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 02 Oct 2016 (Sunday) 09:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D II -> III -> IV (720p, 1080p, 4K)

Modemv92
111 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 02, 2016 09:18 |  #1

For those of you who had opportunity to upgrade from 5D II to III and perhaps to IV, is it fair to think about this in terms of picture quality when it comes to TV? Like pictures coming out of the III vs the II seem to be somewhat more vivid and appear to have 'more' colors in them. I wonder if it's the same as well from IV to III?

Gears: 5D2 | 24-105L | Σ35 1.4 | Σ85 1.4 | Σ17-50 2.8 | 580exii | 430exii | 70-200L IS F2.8 II | Flashpoint360

sponsored links
AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,295 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 02, 2016 10:58 |  #2

I find my 5mk2 still images are virtually identical in image quality. However the 5d3 just performs much better at higher ISO.

5d4 with it's higher megapixels allows more cropping capabilities but examples I've seen so far is still relatively close to the 24mpx sensor of the older versions IQ wise.

I cannot comment on Video but the 5dmk4 has dual pixel technology so this is a game changer. So far I've yet to hear overheating issues. The average joe with the 5dmk4 will appreciate DPAF as it's a killer system from casual/semi professional videographers B camera's to soccer mom/dads.

My scope isn't video but I've never used the 5dmk2 or 3 for personal / volunteer work shooting vid. My 80D can run 1.5 hours straight burning through about 64gb SD card. NO over heating issues so that's my go to video camera for volunteer work at my kids school and for personal family vid clips.

At this moment I shoot 2 systems and I'll have to say I like both almost equally as much. I am actually swaying towards fuji. My point is colour signatures will be different from different manufacturers so this is a benefit to photographers selecting different gear (tools) to achieve the look they want.

So far my 5d3 and 5d2 are my go to gear. 5d4 is a distant future at this moment due to shifting priorities.

Just remember video is a different world to stills. Most video is shot flat profile and colours are boosted in post processing. I'd never own an A6300 even though it's stellar for 4k since video quality is one thing but overheating is another. I'd have to probably use 3x A6300 bodies to shoot 1.5 hrs as they'd need to cool down the sensor!!!!! Alot to think about when it comes to video and not just image quality......executing the task is also a big concern.

4k is very important to videographers but for the average it's a pain to scale down 4k to 1080 and then post process for viewing. As you can see the appeal for go pro's and smart phone video's!!!! 98% of my friends do not even own a 4k computer monitor and and easy 75% do not own a 4k Flat panel TV. The 4k hype is strong but it'll change in the next 5yrs???? At this moment I do not see the average person needing 4k in a camera.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

Modemv92
THREAD ­ STARTER
111 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Oct 03, 2016 12:00 as a reply to  @ AlanU's post |  #3

Thank you sir for the great and in-depth response! I think i find myself looking for reasons to upgrade just like when 5DIII came out and thought that my pictures will naturally get a considerable oomph when upgrading from the II. Thinking about depth of color due to better sensors, cleaner files, etc. I'm sure there's some of that but i wasn't sure how much hence the comparison to TV picture qual.

Gears: 5D2 | 24-105L | Σ35 1.4 | Σ85 1.4 | Σ17-50 2.8 | 580exii | 430exii | 70-200L IS F2.8 II | Flashpoint360

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,436 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed. (5 edits in all)

Oct 04, 2016 13:55 as a reply to  @ Modemv92's post |  #4

The 5D3 basically gave you better video, AF that was more akin to the 1D series, and better ISO performance, over the 5D2. It matters more on what or how you will use these advantages to change your photographic results. :)

The 5D4 gives you more fps, more resolution, even better video w/DPAF, even better AF, more dynamic range, better ISO performance, wireless, GPS and a host of other ergonomic and user-features than the 5D3 like AFMA at both ends of a zoom lens, etc

So when comparing the 5D4 to the 5D2, it will be a SUBSTANTIAL improvement just about in all areas of shooting.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Oct 14, 2016 06:44 |  #5

Other than what's already been mentioned, the major IQ difference between these bodies lies in the shadows. The 5DII can exhibit pretty strong pattern noise when shadows are pushed, the 5DIII offers some improvement on the pattern noise problem, but there is still a lot of noise when shadows/exposures are pushed, and the 5DIV seems to have all but eliminated the pattern noise problem and offers major improvement in noise when shadows/exposures are pushed. The result is greatly expanded usable dynamic range in the raw files.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 01, 2016 14:14 |  #6

I'd like to chime in here with some questions as well, along these very same lines, I've had my 5DMKII since 2007 and didn't upgrade to the 5DMKIII, but now the 5DMKIV looks like something I'd take more advantage of than I am my 5DMKII right now. I've been looking around for a camera to do some VLOGs with and just a better over all video camera than the 5DMKII has feature wise. The autofocus would be a big deal to me, not being a video pro, I'd love it to just carry around and snap some video of the kids and grab everyday video type shots for a VLOG.

Anyway the key would be to sell my 5DMKII and 3 lenses I have, maybe only 2 of them, and a lot of the accessories that are made for the 5DMKII only and try to fund the new camera and lens purchase. I'm sure a lot of folks have sort of done this, maybe not their lenses, but I feel its time to upgrade lenses, I have the 24-70 2.8 MKI and 70-200 IS MKI and while I love them and they have done great, I think I want to go prime on most of my new lenses and get one VLOG type lens such as the newer 16-35 MKIII. I know I'm not going to get as much out of these two lenses and my old body either but I don't have enough cash to just go balls to the wall all out of my pocket expenses, it would be nice to have a little bit from the sales.

Does this sound like a reasonable way to upgrade and based on the changes from MKII to MKIV is it worth considering? I think its time, though the MKII is a great photography camera, I know the MKIV would be as well but also serve the VLOG and video needs I am wanting to start up. The improvements now, seem to tell me its time and worth this effort. Just want to make sure I'm not crazy?

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 02, 2016 14:43 as a reply to  @ ChrisMc73's post |  #7

Not crazy, go for it.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,896 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 02, 2016 16:17 |  #8

ksbal wrote in post #18173997 (external link)
Not crazy, go for it.

I actually think it's a terrible idea to buy the 5DIV for a lot of video work, which a VLOG would be. Those files alone would be a deal breaker. If you must stick with canon, just get one of those rebels or 80D for vlog, the 4K simply isnt ready if you're going to do a lot of work with it. Canon in general, and 4K is a bad mix, however I have no doubt the 5Div is excellent for photography.

basically for 4K video, the 5Div is a HUGE inconvenience.

1 hour video requires 226GB? something like the A7r/sii will do in 40GB with better quality and in full frame (makes a huge difference with wide angles and primes).

10 hours of video takes 2TB+ of space.......

fixed screen, horrible for video.

panasonic/sony for 4K video, they dont have silly restrictions, or ridiculous file sizes. It's 4K done right.

If you're OK with 1080, then stick with the 5Div.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 15, 2016 03:49 as a reply to  @ Charlie's post |  #9

After doing more investigating, reading reviews, watching YouTube reviews, I'm beginning to agree with you, and those files sizes with the old codec, jeez.

sponsored links

2,479 views & 3 likes for this thread
5D II -> III -> IV (720p, 1080p, 4K)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.