Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 14 Nov 2016 (Monday) 08:07
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How much to charge 1st Gig

chugger93
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 14, 2016 08:07 |  #1

So I've been doing photography as a dad/hobbiest for 5 years now. Been wanting to always do it on the side though for people. I finally may have landed my first gig doing a social activity for someone taking candids and such. We havnt spoken yet, but will soon and I know $$ will come up. What do some other photographers charge by? Is it by the gig, or hourly? I'm not even sure how many hours it will be yet, but I need to know what to tell him when we speak. So I need ideas on what others are doing in the industry.

Thanks!

Jon | JMBPhotography
-------------
5D MK II / 5D MK III --- 24L II | 50L | 135L | Canon 85 F/1.8 | 430 EX II/Yongnou 560 Speedlites | Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod

sponsored links
FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,985 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 14, 2016 08:10 |  #2

Charge them anything you want since they've not asked for your rate. :-P

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Nov 14, 2016 12:57 |  #3

chugger93 wrote in post #18183969 (external link)
I'm not even sure how many hours it will be yet, but I need to know what to tell him when we speak.

You need to understand the scope of the gig first. If you hire a mechanic to work on your car, you can't expect a price quote until he knows what work needs to be done. He may give you an Hourly rate + parts (which can be compared to your hourly rate + expenses + usage), but that's all you can go in with.

Questions to ask:
- What needs to be photographed?
- How many images need to be delivered?
- What will these images be used for?

Once you get through those three basic questions, you can start to scope out what it will take to meet the client's needs.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

Scott ­ Spellman
203 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 15, 2016 13:29 |  #4

If you are just getting started, I would charge by the hour. Remember to include all time to get the job done-travel, setup, shoot, deliver proofs, and edits. When the client gives you their requirements, make an estimate of total time and multiply by your hourly rate to provide the client with an estimated price. As an emerging professional, $50 an hour may be appropriate,

chugger93
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 16, 2016 19:42 as a reply to  @ Scott Spellman's post |  #5

Well I got the scope of work back. Not too bad. 2-3 hours shooting candids and portraits in front of the tree. 20min or so from my house, so not bad travel time. Just wants to photos on a cd so he can send them out to family and such.

Jon | JMBPhotography
-------------
5D MK II / 5D MK III --- 24L II | 50L | 135L | Canon 85 F/1.8 | 430 EX II/Yongnou 560 Speedlites | Manfrotto 055XPROB Pro Tripod

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,985 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Nov 16, 2016 19:55 |  #6

$250

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

chugger93
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 17, 2016 06:24 as a reply to  @ FarmerTed1971's post |  #7

Ya, I was thinking 150-200, so I'm pretty close to your number

Jon | JMBPhotography
-------------

Nethawked
796 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Nov 17, 2016 13:19 |  #8

An alternative way of thinking perhaps - after determining how many images are expected of you, try to map that number per image into something close to what you'd like to make for the day. It gives you more incentive to excel and the client gets exactly what he/she paid for - your images instead of your time.

Just be sure you provide a license agreement for use of the photographs, and that you explicitly retain copyright of the images.

chugger93
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 17, 2016 13:34 |  #9

Nethawked wrote in post #18187202 (external link)
An alternative way of thinking perhaps - after determining how many images are expected of you, try to map that number per image into something close to what you'd like to make for the day. It gives you more incentive to excel and the client gets exactly what he/she paid for - your images instead of your time.

Just be sure you provide a license agreement for use of the photographs, and that you explicitly retain copyright of the images.

What does all that mean. lol. They paid for them, why wouldnt they be his photographs? Why would I wanna retain the copyright? He will just pass them out to family.

I guess this is part of the business as a newb I dont really comprehende..or should....

Jon | JMBPhotography
-------------

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
941 posts
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 2 years ago by Qlayer2.

Nov 17, 2016 13:43 |  #10

chugger93 wrote in post #18187221 (external link)
What does all that mean. lol. They paid for them, why wouldnt they be his photographs? Why would I wanna retain the copyright? He will just pass them out to family.

I guess this is part of the business as a newb I dont really comprehende..or should....

They didn't pay for them- they paid for the license to use them. The importance here is this- if you give away the copyright, they can do whatever they want to your images, and you are entitled nothing.

For example, they may take a candid shot and sell it as a stock image. Sell a shot to a watch company of a photograph you took of someone wearing their watch. Use your images to promote the KKK. Anything they want- you have no recourse. You gave away that right.

Google or search the forums for usage licenses. Get familiar with the typical terms, and term limits. Since these are for what sounds like a private party, typical terms would include a print license, no commercial use, no reselling to third parties, and personal use/social media.

chugger93
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 17, 2016 13:45 as a reply to  @ Qlayer2's post |  #11

can I find license agreements on line you think? I'll go search and see what I find. Interesting stuff...

Jon | JMBPhotography
-------------

Qlayer2
OOOHHH! Pretty Moth!
941 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Nov 17, 2016 13:52 |  #12

You can- google photography usage license and you'll see lots of options.

Here is SmugMug's basic download image license:

https://www.smugmug.co​m/prints/personal-download (external link)

chugger93
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,200 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Nov 17, 2016 14:06 as a reply to  @ Qlayer2's post |  #13

I understand maybe having an agreement for weddings or something of more significant magnitude, but for a personal photoshoot, does it matter? Why would they sell images of themselves that I took? I get what you are saying, just playing devils advocate

Jon | JMBPhotography
-------------

Jethr0
Goldmember
1,049 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 17, 2016 20:50 |  #14

chugger93 wrote in post #18187250 (external link)
I understand maybe having an agreement for weddings or something of more significant magnitude, but for a personal photoshoot, does it matter? Why would they sell images of themselves that I took? I get what you are saying, just playing devils advocate

I agree with your approach to keep it simple. If you start going on about usage licenses you're gonna get some weird looks. If you're dealing with a corporate entity on a shoot for national advertising...then yes. Be specific.

www.jefflowe.ca (external link)
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jeff​lowe.ca (external link)

Nethawked
796 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Nov 18, 2016 12:06 |  #15

Any time you create a photograph and provide it for someone else, especially if you are receiving compensation, it's important that you make it crystal clear how they can use the photographs and that you will retain copyright. Screw weird looks, protect your work!

sponsored links

4,036 views & 2 likes for this thread
How much to charge 1st Gig
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.