Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 14 Nov 2016 (Monday) 19:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who wouldn't feel like a princess?

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 14, 2016 19:21 |  #1

With this handsome dude?
Please C&C

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

sponsored links
T3 ­ Heavy ­ Shop
634 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Nov 14, 2016 20:27 |  #2

Really like how they are positioned to each other and how they are framed by the foliage.
The horse's mane causes it to blend in to the background. Almost looks as if they were blended together.

I've always been a photographer, but I haven't always had a camera.
EOS M6 m2, EOS 7D m2, EOS-M, EOS 5D m2(IR 830), EOS-M(IR 720)

ksbal
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 15, 2016 10:14 as a reply to  @ T3 Heavy Shop's post |  #3

Thanks, you are right, a bit of kicker light camera left would have helped. this is sooc, other than cropping and adjustments, editing done in LR.

atsilverstein
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Mar 2015

Nov 16, 2016 05:50 |  #4

OMG what a stunning horse, a Fresian? Me being the horse lover that I am, I would prefer to see the just the horse lol. Is this the owner? I don't know much about equine portraiture but the ones I've seen of Andalusian stallions with their female owners all had some kind of interaction. For example, the stallion bends his graceful neck towards her while she lovingly looks at him. Here, the horse appears disinterested and the woman eyes the camera... "Look at my gorgeous horse I'm so rich". Lol, just kidding. But some more interaction would be nice with such a subject, maybe you have a different one.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

bob_r
Goldmember
2,473 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 16, 2016 09:37 |  #5

atsilverstein wrote in post #18185932 (external link)
OMG what a stunning horse, a Fresian? Me being the horse lover that I am, I would prefer to see the just the horse lol. Is this the owner? I don't know much about equine portraiture but the ones I've seen of Andalusian stallions with their female owners all had some kind of interaction. For example, the stallion bends his graceful neck towards her while she lovingly looks at him. Here, the horse appears disinterested and the woman eyes the camera... "Look at my gorgeous horse I'm so rich". Lol, just kidding. But some more interaction would be nice with such a subject, maybe you have a different one.

I, too, like to see a connection between the horse and owner. I prefer the owner to be touching the horse. Here's a pic of one of my granddaughters and her horse that I took for one of her senior pics, just to show an example. I wish I could have had his ears pointing forward, but he kept switching them back and forth and my timing was off, but I still like the shot.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

atsilverstein
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Nov 16, 2016 12:24 |  #6

I have to add another thing, if this portrait is to promote the qualities of a stud stallion (which I am obviously not sure if this is the case here) it is very important to show the character of the stud. Stallions are notoriously difficult to work with, aloof, and sometimes even dangerous. With that in mind, breeding mare owners have choices, so not only is it important to show off the physical beauty of the potential sire, but even more critical that he has admirable character traits such as intelligence, good temperament, and the ability to bond and connect with a human on a deep level.

Having looked at many, many stallion pages (it's my dream to own such a magnificent creature), the portrait with the woman owner is often put forward as the key photograph, that shows the stallion open up and allows us a glimpse into who he really is, even if all we do is admire him and the bond with his owner.

From that perspective, this doesn't do that.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

ksbal
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 16, 2016 19:17 |  #7

atsilverstein wrote in post #18185932 (external link)

Yes, this is a Fresian Gelding. No, this isn't the owner, we were doing a cosplay shoot, so she dressed up in her renfest garb.

Like one of these two?

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

ksbal
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 16, 2016 19:18 as a reply to  @ bob_r's post |  #8

With the ears like this?

HOSTED PHOTO
Photo from ksbal's gallery.

atsilverstein
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Nov 16, 2016 19:29 |  #9

ksbal wrote in post #18186596 (external link)
Yes, this is a Fresian Gelding. No, this isn't the owner, we were doing a cosplay shoot, so she dressed up in her renfest garb.

Like one of these two?

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by ksbal in
./showthread.php?p=181​86596&i=i184489059
forum: Critique Corner

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=181​86596&i=i131597786

Yes! Much better vibe from these!

- William Ernest Henley

ksbal
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 16, 2016 19:31 |  #10

atsilverstein wrote in post #18186198 (external link)
I have to add another thing, if this portrait is to promote the qualities of a stud stallion (which I am obviously not sure if this is the case here) it is very important to show the character of the stud. Stallions are notoriously difficult to work with, aloof, and sometimes even dangerous. With that in mind, breeding mare owners have choices, so not only is it important to show off the physical beauty of the potential sire, but even more critical that he has admirable character traits such as intelligence, good temperament, and the ability to bond and connect with a human on a deep level.

Having looked at many, many stallion pages (it's my dream to own such a magnificent creature), the portrait with the woman owner is often put forward as the key photograph, that shows the stallion open up and allows us a glimpse into who he really is, even if all we do is admire him and the bond with his owner.

From that perspective, this doesn't do that.

Yes, that is quite right, this picture is not promoting a stallion. This was a portrait of the lady and her dream horse.

Here is one that made the cover of a magazine...

HOSTED PHOTO

atsilverstein
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Nov 16, 2016 19:36 |  #11

ksbal wrote in post #18186616 (external link)
Yes, that is quite right, this picture is not promoting a stallion. This was a portrait of the lady and her dream horse.

Here is one that made the cover of a magazine...
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=181​86616&i=i81566273

Gag!! Stunning work! ;-)a

- William Ernest Henley

ksbal
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 16, 2016 19:36 as a reply to  @ atsilverstein's post |  #12

Thank You! :-D

ksbal
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 16, 2016 19:41 |  #13

Here are portraits of just Aslan, the friesian gelding, he is so good to work with..

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

atsilverstein
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Nov 16, 2016 20:10 |  #14

ksbal wrote in post #18186625 (external link)
Here are portraits of just Aslan, the friesian gelding, he is so good to work with..
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=181​86625&i=i194172187

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=181​86625&i=i259911902

Wow! I think I'm in love! ;-)a <3

- William Ernest Henley

ksbal
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 16, 2016 20:10 as a reply to  @ atsilverstein's post |  #15

I know I am, he is wonderful!

sponsored links

7,455 views & 21 likes for this thread
Who wouldn't feel like a princess?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.