Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
Thread started 18 Sep 2016 (Sunday) 21:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wanting/Needing New Tripod

stevewf1
776 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Oct 30, 2016 04:18 |  #16

Inspeqtor wrote in post #18140884 (external link)
I just bought a new tripod (external link) that DID make a HUGE difference. It is the tripod that made the violent shaking go away.

Interesting. I'm going to take a look at this.

Steve

sponsored links
Inspeqtor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Chet,You are a genius
7,405 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 30, 2016 05:38 |  #17

stevewf1 wrote in post #18170846 (external link)
Inspeqtor wrote in post #18140884 (external link)
I just bought a new tripod (external link) that DID make a HUGE difference. It is the tripod that made the violent shaking go away.

Interesting. I'm going to take a look at this.

I don't think you will be disappointed. I still get 'some' shaking, but not NEAR what I used to get. I believe it is because of the extra rigidity that is built in due to the multi-tube construction over single tube of regular tripods.

My Manfrotto 3021BPRO tripod is a heavy duty tripod, but no match for the iKan GA752T tripod, or any other similar built tripod for that matter.

It makes it so much easier to manually focus a high powered lens.

Charles
Canon EOS 60D Gripped * Canon EOS XSi * Flickr Account (external link)
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,555 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Oct 30, 2016 05:47 |  #18

Inspeqtor wrote in post #18170859 (external link)
I don't think you will be disappointed. I still get 'some' shaking, but not NEAR what I used to get. I believe it is because of the extra rigidity that is built in due to the multi-tube construction over single tube of regular tripods.

My Manfrotto 3021BPRO tripod is a heavy duty tripod, but no match for the iKan GA752T tripod, or any other similar built tripod for that matter.

It makes it so much easier to manually focus a high powered lens.

Thanks for the further review. Is the plate/clamp on the tripod compatible with any other system? Do you know if the head comes off?

I'm on my phone and I sat on my reading glasses last night. lol

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Inspeqtor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Chet,You are a genius
7,405 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Inspeqtor. (4 edits in all)

Oct 31, 2016 00:20 |  #19

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18170862 (external link)
Thanks for the further review. Is the plate/clamp on the tripod compatible with any other system? Do you know if the head comes off?

I'm on my phone and I sat on my reading glasses last night. lol

Hi Brisk,

You are welcome for the further review. I need to make a disclosure here.... I am not a tripod expert, or a video tripod expert. If I happen to talk about something but call it a wrong name, well it is what it is!

Ok, with that out of the way, a tripod built like this, is completely different from a tripod built like you are (probably) familiar with for attaching a standard DSLR camera. Yes the head can be removed, but you will probably not be able to attach another head you own to a video tripod.. YOU CAN ATTACH your current head to this HEAD because this head has both a 1/4 screw, and a 3/8 screw. (disclaimer here... not all video heads will have both size screws!) So you will have one head on top of another head. I took pictures to help explain what I am talking about which you can already see.

When you take the iKan E-Image GH03 head off of the iKan GA752 tripod this is what you will see. A big empty 75MM diameter bowl. (another disclaimer - different heads have different diameters)

IMAGE: https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5461/30592128831_89e5495ab5_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/NBjE​66  (external link) iKan 75MM Bowl (external link) by inspeqtor (external link), on Flickr

This is what the Head looks like off the tripod.

IMAGE: https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5444/30046782473_866526a595_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/MM8B​BF  (external link) E-Image GH03 Head (external link) by inspeqtor (external link), on Flickr

This is what the slide looks like on the head.

IMAGE: https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5756/30592122271_7c682ab328_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/NBjC​8Z  (external link) Slide (external link) by inspeqtor (external link), on Flickr

The slide lock lever will lock the slide where ever you want it on the head.

The plunger is a spring loaded plunger on the slide. I am not sure what it's real purpose is for video recording, other than possibly keeping something straight with the slide.

Use the release button to take the slide off the head. If you don't push the Release button the slide with will stop in either direction and go no further, but there is plenty of movement on the slide.

The piece that has the spring plunger, and the 1/4 screw will slide within the slide to help you further locate your camera on the tripod.

The head does have a bubble level if you wish to use that.

I hope I answered all of your questions, and perhaps a couple you did not know you needed to ask!

Here is a video on the tripod that may help you further with your decision.

PS... I am not sure why anyone would want to sit on their phone and their glasses at the same time or at all!!!  :p

Charles
Tokina AT-X Pro DX 11-20 f/2.8 * Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS * Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM
Canon 18-55 IS Kit Lens * Canon 70-300 IS USM * Canon 50mm f1.8 * Canon 580EX II

Inspeqtor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Chet,You are a genius
7,405 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Oct 31, 2016 00:34 as a reply to  @ Inspeqtor's post |  #20

It was stated in the video the price for this tripod system is $299.00 - I got it from Adorama for $249.00

Charles

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Nov 10, 2016 07:56 |  #21

Ries wooden tripods are very solid and much easier on the hands in the cold than metal.
Have been used for large and small cameras for decades.

On what you have, lean the camera bag against one leg when set up and a lot of your vibration will be taken care of.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

Inspeqtor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Chet,You are a genius
7,405 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 10, 2016 09:01 as a reply to  @ Deardorff's post |  #22

I had never heard of Ries tripods before....

Charles

GibJock
Kill killer
9,757 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined May 2013
Location: From Scotland, living in Gibraltar "A Jock on the Rock"

Nov 16, 2016 09:33 |  #23

Charles,

Very late in the day coming to this. I saw a tv prog and was impressed with the tripod being used by the photo, so contacted him via his website asking advice. Here's a cut and paste of what he replied:

Ian,

Thanks for your mail and compliments – and delighted that you enjoyed Mountain Man. The tripod is a professional carbon fibre Series 3 Mountaineer made by Gitzo http://www.gitzo.co.uk​/mountaineer-tripods (external link)

The head is made by an American company called Really Right Stuff http://www.reallyright​stuff.com/ (external link) However whilst RRS equipment is superb is expensive and heavy and a better alternative would be an
Arca Swiss http://www.robertwhite​.co.uk …ckset-classic-device.html (external link)

None of it is particularly cheap but it’s the best out there. Hope this helps.

Colin
https://colinprior.co.​uk/ (external link)

flickr (external link)

Inspeqtor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Chet,You are a genius
7,405 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 16, 2016 09:39 as a reply to  @ GibJock's post |  #24

Thank you Ian for looking out for me!

I am very happy with the tripod I now have, so will stick with that one :)

Charles

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Nov 17, 2016 07:18 |  #25

Inspeqtor wrote in post #18180791 (external link)

http://www.riestripod.​com/ (external link)

Old line with excellent service and guarantee.

Think Edward Weston, Brett Weston, Ansel Adams, Michael A. Smith, Paula Chamlee, Tillman Crane, Paul Caponigro and so many other top line fine art photographers.

Ries has been around for a long time. The tripods work. They are not cheap and not cheaply made. They last, are solid and perform in sub zero to 100 degree plus temperatures.

You buy one and have a quality tripod for life.

Easy to clean and easy to use.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

Inspeqtor
THREAD ­ STARTER
Chet,You are a genius
7,405 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Nov 17, 2016 08:56 |  #26

Deardorff wrote in post #18186940 (external link)
Inspeqtor wrote in post #18180791 (external link)

http://www.riestripod.​com/ (external link)

Old line with excellent service and guarantee.

Think Edward Weston, Brett Weston, Ansel Adams, Michael A. Smith, Paula Chamlee, Tillman Crane, Paul Caponigro and so many other top line fine art photographers.

Ries has been around for a long time. The tripods work. They are not cheap and not cheaply made. They last, are solid and perform in sub zero to 100 degree plus temperatures.

You buy one and have a quality tripod for life.

Easy to clean and easy to use.

Yes, I did google them, looked at their website... I am very happy with the tripod I now have. Granted a wooden tripod would be nice to handle in cold weather, but they are too rich for my wallet.

Charles

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Nov 18, 2016 07:54 as a reply to  @ Inspeqtor's post |  #27

You look and buy what works. Your great grandchildren will be using the Ries long after you have gone through a few metal tripods.

They work well.

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,107 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Nov 19, 2016 14:29 |  #28

Deardorff wrote in post #18187826 (external link)
You look and buy what works. Your great grandchildren will be using the Ries long after you have gone through a few metal tripods.

They work well.

I have a Tiltall from my father and he wasn't the first owner. Good tripods do last.

Alas, I have found that I don't use the heavy ones very far from home :). I'm willing to take c-stands for lighting gear but a heavy tripod gives place to carbon fibre. YMMV.

:-)

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

sponsored links

8,538 views & 3 likes for this thread
Wanting/Needing New Tripod
FORUMS General Gear Talk Tripods, Monopods & Other Camera Support 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.