Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,191 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Nov 17, 2016 09:49 |  #4396

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18186917 (external link)
When you turn on the wifi on the camera, select your set that you used when setting up that phone, and then tell it to start/connect, your phone doesn't see that long Canon SSID in the wifi list? My only problem is that my phone goes to my home network when it doesn't see the Canon one, it won't flip back once the camera comes back up. I have to manually select it again. I may load up wifi prioritizer to set the Canon as the primary wifi over my home, it should fix this issue.

I can connect to the Wifi of the Camera but the App does not connect to the Camera.

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

sponsored links
LincsRP
427 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007

Nov 17, 2016 09:57 |  #4397

nqjudo wrote in post #18186985 (external link)
Ok so I've left the camera on for 2 overnight periods and all day yesterday without touching it and zero drain????? I'm a little confused because the drain was happening regularly. Anyone else getting overnight battery drain or had it and it stopped?

Is there a rechargable battery in the body somewhere? The one for the clock, is that a rechargable one or replaceable? When you actually switch the camera off it still continues to write to card - that would need a small rechargeable battery so is this where the power has gone early in the body's life I wonder?

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.uk (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,439 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 17, 2016 10:01 as a reply to  @ LincsRP's post |  #4398

It is most likely a capacitor of sorts that is the backup battery. Not replaceable...

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2009

Nov 17, 2016 10:14 |  #4399

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18187049 (external link)
It is most likely a capacitor of sorts that is the backup battery. Not replaceable...

The Mark III has a watch style button battery for backup. Is the Mark IV the same? I don't have one....yet...

http://protogtech.com …battery-location-removal/ (external link)

Website (external link) flickr (external link) 500px (external link) FaceBook (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,439 posts
Joined May 2002

Nov 17, 2016 10:25 |  #4400

I believe starting with the 7d2, the removable batteries are a thing of the past. Not sure 100% though on the 5d4 without a teardown. Lens rental did a teardown, perhaps they document this there.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,207 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 17, 2016 10:49 |  #4401

LincsRP wrote in post #18187042 (external link)
Is there a rechargable battery in the body somewhere? The one for the clock, is that a rechargable one or replaceable? When you actually switch the camera off it still continues to write to card - that would need a small rechargeable battery so is this where the power has gone early in the body's life I wonder?

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18187073 (external link)
I believe starting with the 7d2, the removable batteries are a thing of the past. Not sure 100% though on the 5d4 without a teardown. Lens rental did a teardown, perhaps they document this there.

Correct I don't see any way to replace the internal clock battery on the 5D4 nor is there are reference to it from Canon - just like the 7D2. I read that from zero the internal would take about 8 hours to charge from the main battery so don't see that the internal battery would cause the drain some users have noticed. Mine was every night till I started turning it off. I just wonder why it stopped all of a sudden??

On a side note I was a little confused as to why Canon made these no longer user accessible. Seems crazy to send a unit in of service to get the battery replaced and it makes doing a full hard reset impossible.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,439 posts
Joined May 2002

Nov 17, 2016 11:12 as a reply to  @ nqjudo's post |  #4402

From a layman's view a capacitor and a battery are basically the "same thing", the way potential energy is stored is different. Capacitors can serve and store energy faster. Capacitors, in many cases, last longer than a battery. I can see the EE perspective on this change. This does leave the serviceability as an issue potentially however.

That being said, I am quite sure you can drain out the capacitor. One would think there would be a way to turn on some feature or function that would affect the capacitor, so that when you pull out the main, the capacitor eventually goes to nearly zero quickly. Maybe not, I am not sure.

Sdentrem
221 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2015

Nov 18, 2016 05:04 |  #4403

Is anyone aware of an l-bracket that fits the 5d IV other than the Leofoto one referenced earlier? Unfortunately, they don't ship to Canada. Will all the 5d III ones fit? Thx

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,315 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 18, 2016 09:49 |  #4404

Sdentrem wrote in post #18187760 (external link)
Is anyone aware of an l-bracket that fits the 5d IV other than the Leofoto one referenced earlier? Unfortunately, they don't ship to Canada. Will all the 5d III ones fit? Thx

RRS's 5D3 bracket fits but blocks the battery door just enough to keep it from opening fully. I have read of at least one other brand not having this problem since its a tiny bit shorter. I just don't remember which one. Do a search on this thread and it'll probably come up.

davem01
91 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 18, 2016 15:22 |  #4405

is there a link to the codec to allow windows 7 to view the raw files in explorer?

My Gear: 5D mk iv, EF 24-105L, 70-300L, 100L IS Macro, 17-40L, 100-400L mkii

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,439 posts
Joined May 2002

Nov 18, 2016 16:34 |  #4406

This is what Google gives me.

https://www.microsoft.​com …oad/details.asp​x?id=26829 (external link)

davem01
91 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 19, 2016 10:07 |  #4407

thanks TeamSpeed but that didnt work - the codec date from 2014. I've just tried a 'chat' with the microsoft helpline - what a waste of time that was, I had to repeat everthing - I know they are dealing with multiple queries at any time but he obviously wasnt reading what I was asking

I assume others can see the icon with an image - I could with the 5D3 but it just shows an iris with cr2 in the top corner for the 5D4 raw files

My Gear: 5D mk iv, EF 24-105L, 70-300L, 100L IS Macro, 17-40L, 100-400L mkii

sploo
premature adulation
2,409 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 19, 2016 11:02 |  #4408

davem01 wrote in post #18188855 (external link)
thanks TeamSpeed but that didnt work - the codec date from 2014. I've just tried a 'chat' with the microsoft helpline - what a waste of time that was, I had to repeat everthing - I know they are dealing with multiple queries at any time but he obviously wasnt reading what I was asking

I assume others can see the icon with an image - I could with the 5D3 but it just shows an iris with cr2 in the top corner for the 5D4 raw files

I strongly suspect there isn't a Windows codec for 5D4 files yet; it took a fair bit of time before my 5D3 files started to appear as thumbnails instead of icons. The daft thing is that they'll just be reading the embedded JPEG thumbnail, so it's likely the container format isn't that much different for a new camera; it's just that the installed codecs won't recognise the model / format version number in the file, so won't attempt to read it further.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

LJ3Jim
Goldmember
1,071 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 19, 2016 11:31 |  #4409

davem01 wrote in post #18188855 (external link)

Windows 10 didn't support the 1DX2 raw files until the anniversary update came out in July. Win10 still doesn't support 5D4 raw files. I'm sure Win10 will get an update at some point that will support the 5D4. I don't know if that update will be pushed to Win7 machines.

Image editing ok; C&C always welcome.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
36,439 posts
Joined May 2002

Nov 21, 2016 22:21 |  #4410

So NBA game #1 out of the way. I spent alot of time tweaking settings during the game, even the same white balance Kelvin setting was different than the 7D2. I used off-center AF points, manual mode with auto ISO, EC of +1/3. For the most part, the 5D4 behaved admirably. I still have some tweaking to do, but the AF system kept up with all the action as it did with the 7D2.

I use out of camera JPG files, and I only needed to do some bare necessity type of changes, like some Noiseware NR, a bit of contrast, sharpening, etc. I have these stored in an action from last year, but need to make a new set for the 5D4. The 5D4 has better picture style sharpening options which is great once you juggle those against the High ISO NR settings.

For example, here is ISO 20000 (again OOC JPG with some post) - yes saturation is bright, but we like it for the marketing material.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports-Events/Mad-Ants-20162017/Nov-20-2016/i-TRdx7mD/0/X3/FX8A4866-X3.jpg

ISO 25600

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports-Events/Mad-Ants-20162017/Nov-20-2016/i-8hskFJ2/0/X3/FX8A4781-X3.jpg

ISO 16000

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Sports-Events/Mad-Ants-20162017/Nov-20-2016/i-Mg4NLvv/0/X3/FX8A4844-X3.jpg

sponsored links

797,028 views & 2,668 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.