Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2016 (Monday) 10:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

X Pro 1 questions

rgfrison
596 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Jul 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by rgfrison.

Feb 01, 2016 10:58 |  #1

I have been shooting Canon since 2006. I recently sold my 1d mk3 because of unemployment and am back to work and ready to make another purchase. I really liked my 1d in every respect aside from the mirror slap. I am debating making a switch to mirrorless and with the 100-400 coming out for the x mount it seems to be a viable option. I personally like the feel of a full sized dslr, how small are these compared to a 40d? Also I have some concerns about af speed, I would guess a 1d3 is considerable faster and more accurate. As far as shooting motor sports, hummingbirds/BIF is it even going to be possible with the xpro 1. They seem to be a pretty decent price right now so any input would be helpful.

Randy

sponsored links
cug
140 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 01, 2016 11:49 |  #2

I guess there will be people saying it is possible, but I'd say, no way. The X-Pro1 is sloooooow. Really slow. If you pre-focus to an area and/or turn of AF you might be able with luck to get some shots.

Personally I even find the X-T1 too slow to do anything useful with subjects that move around erratically. It's sometimes okay if you can predict the movement, but even there I'm not really happy.

It will be interesting what the X-Pro2 will do in that regard. Initial reviews are very positive, although I still think that rangefinders in general are more for considerate, artful photography, not for blasting away frames at sport or bird in flight photography. The X-T2 might add a bit to this, but it's still a mirrorless, so we'll have to see how well it holds up in terms of raw speed compared to halfway current DSLRs.

The mirrorless have other advantages though. If they apply to you, they are a great tool in the bag. I can do about 90% of my photography with an X-T1. But I'm certainly neither a nature (birds) nor a sports photographer.

rgfrison
THREAD ­ STARTER
596 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 01, 2016 12:29 |  #3

Thanks, I still have a lot of reading to do but it is not looking like it is going to be a replacement for a 1d, but it could be a very useful tool in the bag, and the price is low enough. Some of the landscapes and portraits I have seen shot with these are very nice. There is a 60mm 2.4 macro for sale locally so I might just have to check one out.

Randy

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,507 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 01, 2016 13:31 |  #4

The X-Pro1 will definitely be too slow for that stuff, but I think an X-T1 would be fine for most of those needs. Even my X-E2's AF is very compitent, but I rarely have to track subjects, but for AF-S it's very fast and accurate.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Jeff ­ Hanson
Goldmember
1,680 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 01, 2016 13:42 |  #5

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #17881760 (external link)
but I think an X-T1 would be fine for most of those needs.

I wish I could say it is, but it will be a disappointment for motorsports/action/BIF​. I'm even holding off on buying the 100-400 lens until I see how well the X-T2 does when it's released (if there is one).

Fuji X....BAAAAM! Renders way different than Sony.
Fuji X....BAAAAM! Renders way different than Sony.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,507 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 02, 2016 10:04 |  #6

Jeff Hanson wrote in post #17881771 (external link)
I wish I could say it is, but it will be a disappointment for motorsports/action/BIF​. I'm even holding off on buying the 100-400 lens until I see how well the X-T2 does when it's released (if there is one).

Fair enough. As I said, I don't usually shoot action and I pretty much hate using continuous AF, but I've had no problem getting sharp photos of my gymnasts with my X-E2.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

cug
140 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 02, 2016 13:18 as a reply to  @ rgfrison's post |  #7

You might want to consider an X-E2 as well. More modern, more features, faster AF, better EVF panel and eye point, the only downside basically is that it doesn't have an OVF.

The X-E2 with the XF14 (21mm equivalent, much smaller than the 24mm equivalent XF16) and one of the XF35 lenses is an incredible kit. I have used the X-E2 with XF14, XF35 f/1.4 and a manual 90mm Minolta M-Rokkor for a year as my primary camera kit. Loved it. Then I added the X-T1, XF23 and XF56. Totally love these as well, but they are expensive and much bigger than the lenses I got before. Different use cases for me though.

bent ­ toe
Goldmember
1,951 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jul 2012

May 04, 2016 06:26 |  #8

Xpro 1 is a thinking mans camera

"High life on low budget"
bent photos (external link)Portfoliobox (external link)
X-Pro1 XF 35 f/1.4

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016
Post edited over 2 years ago by Deardorff. (2 edits in all)

Nov 07, 2016 22:12 |  #9

The X-Pro1 is nice but AF is nowhere near the Canon 1D MkIII body. Is good focusing in decent light but get dusty conditions or lower light levels with little contrast and it hunts for focus.
Image quality is excellent. RAW is all I shoot with it and love how it renders tones. Sharpness is just fine.
It is not a Sports or wildlife camera if fast motion is needed. I do shoot HS football with it. Use a 1dMkIV for the 400 mm lens and the Fuji with 14 for goal lines hoping to get the kid diving over right near the pylon with the camera at ground level, focus preset. Works great there.
Lightweight with a 14 and an 18-55 and you have a travel outfit that works well. Very good image quality all the way around. Night images are very good but you will need manual focus - also very good. I have shot with the X-Pro1 at 34 below zero in wind chills colder than 50 below and battery life is shorter than I like but the camera has never failed. Keep a few extra batteries inside the parka and change out. The 1D series batteries last for 1500 and more exposures under these conditions so if you don't want to chance changing batteries in extremes stick with the bigger Canons.

All in all I enjoy the X-Pro1. Will get an X-Pro2 once more are on the used marketplace. Its Focus is much better. Bigger image file is a bonus. The X-Trans sensor works well and the images hold up nicely when enlarged to 16x20's.

The price on used X-Pro1 bodies now is low and they are an excellent buy. Could take a vacation with one and the 14(or12mm zeiss) and the 18-55 and not worry at all. Even better would be the 35 f/1.4 along with the 12 and an IR filter as you can shoot InfraRed with both lenses with no hot spots. A nice bonus.

I do a lot of equipment photography as the farm gear is in use. Very few static shots - though most farm machinery does not move that fast. Image below is with the X-pro1. Blown up to 30 inch width without any problems, it looks very good in print.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

In use the X-pro1 is a fun camera. I have even photographed HS basketball and volleyball for news work with it. Mainly pre-focus or zone focus and wait for players to move into the area. These sports are pretty predictable in that regard. For a lot of images the light weight coupled with image quality given by the Fuji lenses is more than worth it. Another benefit is that when you go into some venues there is not any intimidation factor as you will fine on pulling out the 1 Series Canon SLR's. The small camera is more easily accepted than the bigger EOS bodies in many places and not perceived as a "professional camera". This is a good plus at times.

My vote would be to get the Fuji and enjoy things. At today's cost it is less than a lot of point and shoot cameras and interchangeable lenses are a real bonus. The Fuji lenses and Zeiss glass are excellent.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

jsinon
Goldmember
1,008 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Nov 09, 2016 20:17 |  #10

The AF on the X Pro1 even with the latest firmware update is slower than death, comparatively speaking that is. That being said, I was so enamored with the used one that I picked up on a whim to bring on a recent Disney vacation that I dumped all of my Canon gear and replaced it with Fuji. The image size and image quality were just what I was looking for. Out went the 5D3, 17-40L, 50L, 24-105L, and 70-200L. In came an X-T2, 10-24, and 50-140. I will not miss all of that heavy Canon gear on my next long hike!

Oh yea, the AF on the X-T2 is night and day better than the X Pro1 and close enough the the 5D3 that I won't miss much.

Fuji X-T2, Fuji X-Pro1, XF18-55, XF10-24, XF50-140
http://www.jeffsinon.c​om/ (external link)
http://jeffsinonphotog​raphy.wordpress.com/ (external link)

rgfrison
THREAD ­ STARTER
596 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Nov 14, 2016 21:18 |  #11

I went back to Canon with another 1D MkIII and an old non IS 400mm f2.8. Heavy does not describe the 400, it is downright obese, 13.8 lbs lens only. It works great for hummingbirds in the backyard but, I still have the same mirror slap noise scaring them. I find myself waiting much more for the right shot, and try to nail it the first shot, as there might not be a second.

Randy

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Nov 18, 2016 23:37 |  #12

rgfrison wrote in post #18184692 (external link)
I went back to Canon with another 1D MkIII and an old non IS 400mm f2.8. Heavy does not describe the 400, it is downright obese, 13.8 lbs lens only. It works great for hummingbirds in the backyard but, I still have the same mirror slap noise scaring them. I find myself waiting much more for the right shot, and try to nail it the first shot, as there might not be a second.

If you are set up on a static blind and waiting for the hummingbird to fly into place you can lock the mirror and trip the shutter when the bird is right where you want it. Cuts noise a lot.
Won't work if you are trying to follow them around.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

sponsored links

3,460 views & 4 likes for this thread
X Pro 1 questions
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.