Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Aug 2016 (Wednesday) 21:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!

George ­ Zip
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,394 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Nov 21, 2016 22:24 |  #4411

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18191206 (external link)
So NBA game #1 out of the way. I spent alot of time tweaking settings during the game, even the same white balance Kelvin setting was different than the 7D2. I used off-center AF points, manual mode with auto ISO, EC of +1/3. For the most part, the 5D4 behaved admirably. I still have some tweaking to do, but the AF system kept up with all the action as it did with the 7D2.

I use out of camera JPG files, and I only needed to do some bare necessity type of changes, like some Noiseware NR, a bit of contrast, sharpening, etc. I have these stored in an action from last year, but need to make a new set for the 5D4. The 5D4 has better picture style sharpening options which is great once you juggle those against the High ISO NR settings.

For example, here is ISO 20000 (again OOC JPG with some post) - yes saturation is bright, but we like it for the marketing material.

QUOTED IMAGE

ISO 25600

QUOTED IMAGE

ISO 16000

QUOTED IMAGE

They look awesome.

sponsored links
Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,276 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 21, 2016 22:24 as a reply to  @ post 18191206 |  #4412

Great demonstration of high ISO performance. Nice shots too!

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

George ­ Zip
1,394 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Nov 21, 2016 22:29 |  #4413

Just a quick post.

This is not BS.

I have actually been getting unsolicited compliments from various people on social media on how good my images look from people since using the 5D4.

This really surprises me, I am generally of the belief most people do not really care too much about IQ.

I am not sure if it's 1) The images simply look better than before due to the fact the low light stuff looks so good or the focusing is better 2) If I am just more inspired or something. 3) I am just getting lucky and getting some good shots.

Dunno... I have not told anyone I have a new camera, so it's not like they are trying to make me feel good.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,011 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Nov 21, 2016 22:42 |  #4414

The right tools coupled with the right composition and material, and photographic skill always make for results that stand out. :) I continue to try to tweak all of theses.

I definitely have to tweak the action I run on the OOC jpgs, this looked much worse than when I went back to the raw, converted to JPG, and then judicious steps. This means I cannot really use the the same post steps as the 5D3 or 7D2. My goal is ISO 12800, and if I have to go above that, I know I will need to do a little additional cleanup.

EMBED PREVENTED
CUSTOM DOWNLOAD SIZE LIMIT 2.5 MB EXCEEDED: 3.45 MB
https://photos.smugmug​.com …-4kppPq8/1/O/FX8A4554.j​pg
on Smugmug

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,276 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 21, 2016 22:43 |  #4415

George Zip wrote in post #18191214 (external link)
Just a quick post.

This is not BS.

I have actually been getting unsolicited compliments from various people on social media on how good my images look from people since using the 5D4.

This really surprises me, I am generally of the belief most people do not really care too much about IQ.

I am not sure if it's 1) The images simply look better than before due to the fact the low light stuff looks so good or the focusing is better 2) If I am just more inspired or something. 3) I am just getting lucky and getting some good shots.

Dunno... I have not told anyone I have a new camera, so it's not like they are trying to make me feel good.

Don't know GZ. I think people like shots that are imaginative, well composed and make use of good lighting. That's what I see in most stuff you post so I'd say those compliments are well deserved. You may be giving your camera too much credit. ;-)a

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

George ­ Zip
1,394 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Nov 21, 2016 23:07 |  #4416

nqjudo wrote in post #18191227 (external link)
Don't know GZ. I think people like shots that are imaginative, well composed and make use of good lighting. That's what I see in most stuff you post so I'd say those compliments are well deserved. You may be giving your camera too much credit. ;-)a

Aw shucks. That makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

Seriously though man, thanks for the compliment :-)

Ron ­ Hu
435 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by Ron Hu.

Nov 22, 2016 03:52 |  #4417

Correct, the code haven't been update to include 5div. Anniversary update just brought 5Ds/R ability and that took a year.

5Div might be faster as it most likely will have greater market share. As for Windows 7, pretty close to zero.

sploo wrote in post #18188889 (external link)
I strongly suspect there isn't a Windows codec for 5D4 files yet; it took a fair bit of time before my 5D3 files started to appear as thumbnails instead of icons. The daft thing is that they'll just be reading the embedded JPEG thumbnail, so it's likely the container format isn't that much different for a new camera; it's just that the installed codecs won't recognise the model / format version number in the file, so won't attempt to read it further.

Canon EOS 5D IV,
Canon EF 24-70L MK II, Canon EF 70-200L MK II
Sigma Art 14mm, 35mm 85mm, PW Mini TT1 & 4x Flex TT5, 580 Ex II & 430 Ex II, 4x AB800, 4x AC9, PCB BD and Softbox for AB; Sekonic 478DR

manderson
202 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 22, 2016 07:16 |  #4418

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18191206 (external link)
I used off-center AF points, manual mode with auto ISO, EC of +1/3.

How do you feel about auto ISO specifically with this camera? May have been discussed earlier, but it's a long thread to sift through. BTW, great photos.

johnandbentley
934 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Nov 22, 2016 07:25 as a reply to  @ post 18185672 |  #4419

Stunning image!

6D, Sigma 24mm f1.4 art, sigma 85 f1.4 art

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,011 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 22, 2016 08:00 as a reply to  @ manderson's post |  #4420

Auto ISO was fully implemented in the 1DX and the 7D2, so the 5D4 acts just like the 7D2. It works great. I set up the auto ISO to put in the range of ISO I am comfortable with, I set the shutter speed setting to FASTER, and I set an EC of +1/3 in manual. This is my go-to setting for sports since last year.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

flashpoint99
411 posts
Joined Dec 2012

Nov 22, 2016 13:29 |  #4421

Speaking of software upgrades. Does anyone know if the pocket wizards will now work on the 5d mrk 4. Last I knew they did not.

PJJ205
339 posts
Joined Aug 2015

Nov 22, 2016 13:43 as a reply to  @ flashpoint99's post |  #4422

I've also been waiting on the pocket wizard updates so I can finally break out my strobes. Hopefully soon!

Luxx
478 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Nov 22, 2016 18:42 |  #4423

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18191226 (external link)
The right tools coupled with the right composition and material, and photographic skill always make for results that stand out. :) I continue to try to tweak all of theses.

I definitely have to tweak the action I run on the OOC jpgs, this looked much worse than when I went back to the raw, converted to JPG, and then judicious steps. This means I cannot really use the the same post steps as the 5D3 or 7D2. My goal is ISO 12800, and if I have to go above that, I know I will need to do a little additional cleanup.

x
TOO LARGE!
EMBED PREVENTED, IMAGE TOO LARGE:
https://photos.smugmug​.com …-4kppPq8/1/O/FX8A4554.j​pg
Click here to see our image rules.
on Smugmug

If you had to say how many stops better the 5DIV is vs 5DIII at high ISO what would you say? 1/2 stop? 2/3?

sploo
premature adulation
2,411 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 23, 2016 03:15 |  #4424

Luxx wrote in post #18192004 (external link)
If you had to say how many stops better the 5DIV is vs 5DIII at high ISO what would you say? 1/2 stop? 2/3?

That's about the range. If you trade a bit of resolution against noise (i.e. do more aggressive noise reduction, resulting in an image that perceptually has maybe the same MP as the 5DIII) then it's arguably 1 stop better around ISO 12800-25600. The nicer (less visually objectionable) noise character seems to help too.

In short: I'd use ISO 12800 on the 5D4, with ISO 6400 being my normal limit on the 5D3. I have prints from ISO 25600 on the 5D3, but it's something I'd prefer to avoid.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,875 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 23, 2016 06:40 |  #4425

Luxx wrote in post #18192004 (external link)

That is actually two distinct questions which could be confused as one. One could be "what ISO on the 5D4 is like the 5D3 at ISO 6400", and the other, "how many stops less noise (read noise) does the 5D4 have at high ISOs?".

These are two different things, but they are both facing the same reality that both cameras capture pretty much the same amount of light, so virtually all of the noise difference is read noise, both quantity and quality, and has little to do with photon noise. That makes the most difference in the shadow areas, especially at low ISOs, where it only affects the deepest shadows. In a high-key or high-contrast ISO 6400 image, you would probably be hard-pressed to find much difference. In an ISO 6400 image with visible gradients in shadow ranges, you would more likely see a difference. Both set to their highest ISO, and pushed to ISO 400k, and median-filtered and reduced to a 600*400 web image, the 5D4, I think, would have significantly less noise.

Same for situations where heavy cropping is needed and more sharpening is used; sharpening increases noise, so the more you have to sharpen, the more the noise is emphasized. Since the 5D4 has smaller pixels, and both have AA filters, then the AA filter of the 5D3 dulls things more, with a larger radius, so the 5D4 should cause you not to have to sharpen as much for heavy crops, extending its advantage. We've already heard lots of people praising the greater crop-ability of the 5D4 at higher ISOs.

Empirically, as measured by DxOMark, the 5D4 has about 0.4 stops less read noise than the 5D3 at medium ISOs like 6400, and this increases to about 0.6 stops at the highest ISOs. DxO does not, however, measure the character of the noise, and the better character of the 5D4 means more practical read noise difference than the numbers 0.4 stops or 0.6 stops would suggest.

So, I don't think there is a simple one-number answer to your question; it depends on the tonal levels concerned, so you can see anywhere from close to zero stops to a few stops subjective difference, depending on what you are shooting and what scale you are displaying the result at.

sponsored links

815,983 views & 2,668 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Mark IV -- Time to Discuss!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.