Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 20 Nov 2016 (Sunday) 13:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

college or pro football lens

Ltdave
Goldmember
3,011 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 20, 2016 13:19 |  #1

while i dont OWN either of these options, BorrowLens.com has them both for rent...

im wondering back and forth between either the 400 f2.8 for $435 for 7 days or the 200-400 f4 for $446 for 7 days...

will be used on a 5D3...

im looking at an opportunity to shoot either or both of these events and need more reach than my 70-200 f2.8 (with or without the 1.4x TC)...

thinking the light should be good enough for f4 and having the flexibility of 200 to 400mm reach, but college ball anymore can be dark way before the game is over...

i can handle the extra $11 so for all intents and purposes "cost is not an issue"...

sponsored links
rdalrt
Goldmember
1,660 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Nov 20, 2016 13:58 |  #2

If the light is good enough, I love the 200-400. But that is a big IF. I pretty much only use it for games that start and end under daylight. If the game goes into the evening, I use the 400 2.8. Maybe that will change next year when the pro team I shoot moves into a brand new stadium. Remains to be seen how good the lighting will be.

No denying the convenience/utility of the 200-400, but if any of my HS, University, or Pro football is going into the evening, it is the 2.8 for me.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,409 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Nov 20, 2016 18:10 |  #3

2.8. Just love the look from that 400mm f2.8, nothing else can get you that.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Zivnuska
Goldmember
3,636 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 21, 2016 06:57 |  #4

If you think you are going to rent more than once per year you might want to look into buying a used 400 f/2.8

The value of it will stay about the same year after year. So sell it in a year or two for what you paid for it. It's cheaper if you can afford the initial purchase price. That's what I did with my original 400 f/2.8 IS. I shot with it for 3 years, sold it for what I paid and bought the 400mm f/2.8 IS II used. If you can depreciate it on your taxes that's a big help as well.

Just a thought.

Phil

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog (external link) = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com (external link)

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

pat.kane
668 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 21, 2016 16:18 |  #5

Zivnuska wrote in post #18190511 (external link)
If you think you are going to rent more than once per year you might want to look into buying a used 400 f/2.8

especially if you can find one in the $4K range like this one from a few months ago: https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1464319

1Dx Mk II, 5D4 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Nov 23, 2016 18:17 |  #6

My vote goes to the 400 f/2.8 any day.
If you are not used to the size and handling you will be slow at first no matter what. Having only composition and balance to worry about is a lot easier than zooming as well.
Monopod is a basic necessity for constant use. Practice a bit first before hitting the sidelines and you'll end up with better images.

Don't be afraid to shoot wide open and take some chances after you get the feel of the lens and how it handles for you.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

sponsored links

3,060 views & 8 likes for this thread
college or pro football lens
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.