Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 30 Aug 2016 (Tuesday) 16:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D vs 7DII ISO & Noise

Diamonddec
80 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 26, 2016 05:12 |  #16

Hi guys, I don't want to start a whole new thread, but was wondering if there are still cases of 7dii bodies with autofocus issues as documented early in the cameras life. My original 7D's AF has been playing up for some while, being erratic and inconsistent. I ordered a new 7dii yesterday, but later saw some discussions on the net about sketchy AF performance going back to the first 6 months or so of the models life (i.e. to the middle of 2015.)

My Snaps  (external link)

sponsored links
ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by ksbal. (2 edits in all)

Nov 28, 2016 08:48 as a reply to  @ Diamonddec's post |  #17

I think it depends on if you can even suss out a problem.

Mine was early, and when I have it on zone Af, and servo, I can't catch a bird flying towards me to save my life.

However, when I use one AF point in servo, I can follow cars and horses and get sharp images just fine. (***ive turned off all non cross points)

If you have ordered from someone reputable, then just test the crap out of it and use a zone setting with ai servo and see how you get along with it during your return period. Plenty 7D2's are stellar out there in the field.

I'd like to think I have a 'bad' one, but as I dont' rely on zone AF servo for 99 percent of my stuff, I'm not too worried about it, and it could still be the idiot camera operator (me). Long learning curve with all the cases, but just start with it the way it is out of the box - twiddling with the case modes will probably add variables to trying to figure out if it is the camera or you.

At any rate, I don't use it for birding, so I'm ok with this 'glitch' and someday I'll really hammer at it when I find someone I can talk to and test in real time. But I don't see the need to send back the camera when it does 99% of my needs just fine. However, if you need it to do zone af servo and be tack sharp, then by all means, send it back if it doesn't meet your needs.

On the older 7D... may try cleaning where the af sensors are at, to see if you have dirt covering them, if the insides are dirty.. I've heard that can be part of it, also lenses can start to fail and that maybe the issue, need to try some different lenses on it.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

Diamonddec
80 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2012

Nov 28, 2016 14:37 |  #18

ksbal wrote in post #18196844 (external link)
I think it depends on if you can even suss out a problem.

Mine was early, and when I have it on zone Af, and servo, I can't catch a bird flying towards me to save my life.

However, when I use one AF point in servo, I can follow cars and horses and get sharp images just fine. (***ive turned off all non cross points)

If you have ordered from someone reputable, then just test the crap out of it and use a zone setting with ai servo and see how you get along with it during your return period. Plenty 7D2's are stellar out there in the field.

I'd like to think I have a 'bad' one, but as I dont' rely on zone AF servo for 99 percent of my stuff, I'm not too worried about it, and it could still be the idiot camera operator (me). Long learning curve with all the cases, but just start with it the way it is out of the box - twiddling with the case modes will probably ad variables to trying to figure out if it is the camera or you.

At any rate, I don't use it for birding, so I'm ok with this 'glitch' and someday I'll really hammer at it when I find someone I can talk to and test in real time. But I don't see the need to send back the camera when it does 99% of my needs just fine. However, if you need it to do zone af servo and be tack sharp, then by all means, send it back if it doesn't meet your needs.

On the older 7D... may try cleaning where the af sensors are at, to see if you have dirt covering them, if the insides are dirty.. I've heard that can be part of it, also lenses can start to fail and that maybe the issue, need to try some different lenses on it.

Thanks very much. Appreciate you taking the time to respond so thoroughly.

My Snaps  (external link)

John ­ Sheehy
Goldmember
2,909 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 28, 2016 14:47 |  #19

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18112211 (external link)
The 7D2 has better noise characteristics at all ISO values, and at least a 0.5 to 1EV DR advantage from 800 to 6400 ISO. This, coupled with the significantly more powerful AF system, would make me switch from the 7D to the 7D2 in a heartbeat.

The mark II has very random-looking noise, almost as if it were generated in software. I have not seen better noise character on any camera, though some have less noise quantity. It's opposite, perhaps is the Nikon D5 - much less read noise, but with very ugly, patterned character. The D5 would be a monster if it scored the same as it does now in DxOMark, but had the 7D2's character. ISO 3.28 million would be far more usable.

It is not perfect, though. A RAW blackframe from the 7D2 does improve if you run a program that randomly scrambles the image, but it doesn't improve nearly as much as most other cameras.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,192 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 28, 2016 17:39 |  #20

Here is a 100% crop (slight resize down to fit POTN), with a before/after on post processing. You can see the noise pattern on the left side. The final result where an 8x10 is cropped out of the image, and resized down for POTN requirements.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

ashleynaugust
245 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 08, 2017 10:50 as a reply to  @ post 18112181 |  #21

thanks! exactly what I was looking for

~Ashley~ 7D, 40D; 50mm 1.4; 50-250mm; 28-135mm; Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8; Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8; 580exII

ashleynaugust
245 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 08, 2017 19:03 as a reply to  @ post 18187899 |  #22

where would I find Teamspeed's advice?

~Ashley~ 7D, 40D; 50mm 1.4; 50-250mm; 28-135mm; Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8; Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8; 580exII

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,192 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Feb 08, 2017 20:54 as a reply to  @ ashleynaugust's post |  #23

If you use the search tool here at the top of the forum, and put the term "mini-revew" for the title and posts by Teamspeed, and hit search, you should see several posts about high ISO processing, for various bodies since the 7D.

HOSTED PHOTO

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

7,666 views & 12 likes for this thread
7D vs 7DII ISO & Noise
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.