Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Nov 2014 (Wednesday) 14:59
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

7D Mark II - Focus Discussions

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,326 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 27, 2016 15:03 as a reply to  @ post 18196182 |  #6736

I just started using it with my 7D2. I never had issues keeping the shutter half pressed when tracking and shooting bursts. After so many years I had trouble getting used to it but I forced myself to use it and now I like it.

I still like to shoot stills with the shutter so I set up the AF-ON so AI Servo kicks in. I set up the * button so AI Servo, 65 point AF and zone 6 kick in. This is for emergency BIF. I mentioned this before. I wish Canon would add drive mode to the Detail Set so I could keep the camera on Single Shooting and when either BB are pressed it would switch to High Speed Continuous.

I also noticed my keeper rate improved setting the IS in my 100-400II to mode 3. At least I think it did. I have to experiment more. Weather is nice but it has been overcast pretty much every day.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links
mwsilver
Goldmember
3,818 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by mwsilver.

Nov 27, 2016 17:56 |  #6737

digital paradise wrote in post #18196263 (external link)
I just started using it with my 7D2. I never had issues keeping the shutter half pressed when tracking and shooting bursts. After so many years I had trouble getting used to it but I forced myself to use it and now I like it.

I still like to shoot stills with the shutter so I set up the AF-ON so AI Servo kicks in. I set up the * button so AI Servo, 65 point AF and zone 6 kick in. This is for emergency BIF. I mentioned this before. I wish Canon would add drive mode to the Detail Set so I could keep the camera on Single Shooting and when either BB are pressed it would switch to High Speed Continuous.

I also noticed my keeper rate improved setting the IS in my 100-400II to mode 3. At least I think it did. I have to experiment more. Weather is nice but it has been overcast pretty much every day.

Adding the drive mode would be a welcome addition, but of course, although not as fast or convenient for "emergency BIF", you can always create a custom settings.

All the custom BBF features are only valid as long as you depressed the button. Perhaps going from single shot to high speed is more difficult to temporarily implement on the fly.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

patrol50
416 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Nov 27, 2016 18:40 |  #6738

[QUOTE=digital paradise;18196263]I just started using it with my 7D2. I never had issues keeping the shutter half pressed when tracking and shooting bursts. After so many years I had trouble getting used to it but I forced myself to use it and now I like it.

I also noticed my keeper rate improved setting the IS in my 100-400II to mode 3. At least I think it did. I have to experiment more. Weather is nice but it has been overcast pretty much every day.[/QUOTE

yu know i have played with bbf but have gone back to shutter focus for two reasons one is i cant see the active focus point show in red in dpp - so is ther any way to see that with another program with bbf - and secondly when on a costly safari and something just jumps out in front of yu and yu get about .1 of a second to take a shot ( and it happens ) bbf is a pain in the neck imho - just so much simpler to just hit the shutter button and get a decent shot

just my opinion

see yu rob

C:- 7D Mk11 ; 7Dc ; 600D & SX10 IS / L:- EFS 10-22 f3.5-4.5 USM ; 55-250 f4-5.6 IS 11; 18 -200 f3.5-5.6 IS ; & EF 16- 35 f4 L IS USM , 24-105 f4 L IS USM; 70-200 f4 L IS USM; 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS 1 USM (V1 and V11); + C 1.4 Ext Mk3 & Tam 150 - 600 f5-6.3 DI VC USD.

keeperseeker
Cream of the Crop
8,425 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 27, 2016 19:48 as a reply to  @ patrol50's post |  #6739

I use BBF all the time,,,and can see the focus point-points in red in DPP as long as " AF points " are turned on from the Preview menu .

Yesterday,,people thought I was the best thing since sliced bread,,,,,to-day I am toast !

RodS57
789 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Nov 27, 2016 20:14 |  #6740

digital paradise wrote in post #18196081 (external link)
Didn't use BBF but you had the shutter ½ pressed while tracking the movement?

Impossible to track the birds. They were on the far side of a bed of alders. Mostly I just waited until a bird moved so that it was visible with no intervening branches. I took about 150 shots in bursts at 7 fps. None are razor sharp but a lot are like the one posted as far as focus goes. Even at 7 fps I have shots were there was a bird on a branch in one frame and empty air in the next. Of course, give my field of view the bird didn't have to move far to disappear.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

RodS57
789 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2014

Nov 27, 2016 20:33 |  #6741

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18196182 (external link)
BBF is one of the first 2 settings that I set on a new camera. For me it makes the difference to a high rate of keepers vs not.

What is the second?
By definition I am not using BBF.

By default my camera is set to center point or spot, M mode, mostly AI servo and auto ISO.
* = toggle focus mode
AF ON = BIF settings

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

TeleFragger
Goldmember
3,183 posts
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by TeleFragger.

Nov 27, 2016 20:55 |  #6742

fordmondeo wrote in post #18194972 (external link)
Can I ask what firmware level your camera is at?

was 1.05???

1.1.0 now

so I DL the new firmware after these pics. I reset my camera this morning to factory defaults. I haven't had time to go through it to set up and had to take it out for some testing at picking out our tree. I also never used BFF before and this year started so. When I reset my camera it DID NOT reset BFF back to 1/2 shutter..

anyway... I also took recommendation on here to go f5.6 with this lens.

I also switched to center point as well. I am now thinking my issue is more with auto tracking as when I just spot checked a mess of soccer action shots I had weird confusion. That confusion is as follows...
when I do action soccer I had the AF points highlight constant red ( I like that setting ) and when I track I see whats going on and take pics with the action locked on the player. However after inspecting the pics I see the AF point on the ball, on the grass behind the player OR even NO AF POINT!!!!

now that is totally confusing.

The following pics are processed. our day was not greatly sunny but very overcasted and still chose to use my 24-105 @ f5.6...

After the reset I am a bit happier but wondering if it is more due to using center point af and not refocusing?

I will test more in the next few days. soccer is done and I am sick at the moment so a bit not in the uppidy mood...

I am open to light critique to flat out bash my stuff... don't matter to me hah...

few more on flickr. didn't want to post them all here... as going to post some in 7dm2 thread

Family pic in front of our tree... I like what I see so far..

IMAGE: https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5728/30479735583_3665b8437f_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/NroB​ut  (external link) Tree2016 (7 of 20) (external link) by Jeffrey Riggs (external link), on Flickr

Oldest posing

IMAGE: https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5637/30479730623_48629155b5_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/NroA​1X  (external link) Tree2016 (13 of 20) (external link) by Jeffrey Riggs (external link), on Flickr

So I am thinking a total reset and firmware flash made things better???

IMAGE: https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5455/31287561825_9dc6990a92_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/PELW​68  (external link) Tree2016 (20 of 20) (external link) by Jeffrey Riggs (external link), on Flickr

GearBag - Feedback****Flickr - my playhouse (external link)****RF-603 Discussion
Canon 7Dm2 Gripped | 32GB Transcend CF | 64GB Toshiba FlashAir | YN-468 Flash | YN-468 II Flash | RF-603 | EF-S 18-55 IS|EF 24-105L|EF 50 MKII 1.8|EF-S 55-250 IS |EF 85 1.8| Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC |Primo's Trigger Stick Monopod | Manfrotto Carbon Fiber Tripod
if I post a pic.. it is there to be picked on... (I have thick skin.. im in IT)

gschlact
1,317 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by gschlact.

Nov 27, 2016 20:58 |  #6743

digital paradise wrote in post #18194263 (external link)
1 PPI

QUOTED IMAGE

1000 PPI

QUOTED IMAGE

You need to go back and read my post.
The PPI I refer to has nothing to do with display PPI. It is strictly in reference to Sensor Pixels.

You should reread my post #6716 on pg 448.
I was never talking about display nor embedded PPI description. I specifically indicated Sensor Pixels. The PPI in writing a Joel is an embedded descriptor and has no effect. There are all different PPIs. A typical display runs about 96 these day which is fine at normal monitor viewing distances, tablets between 160-300ppi, these PPI are all actual display pixels per inch.

Sensor PPI is the number of physical pixels capturing an inch of measurement at the focal plane.
Hence pixels on the duck. Your duck obviously had plenty, unlike those in Telefagger's post. Do the easy experiment I detailed and you'll learn something to help manage expectations for outcomes. DP, I'm surprised you missed the importance of this distinction.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,576 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Nov 27, 2016 22:08 |  #6744

RodS57 wrote in post #18196519 (external link)
What is the second?
By definition I am not using BBF.

By default my camera is set to center point or spot, M mode, mostly AI servo and auto ISO.
* = toggle focus mode
AF ON = BIF settings

Rod

Turn the beep off :)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,818 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 27, 2016 22:20 |  #6745

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18196593 (external link)
Turn the beep off :)

For me, turning the focus acquisition beep off is the very first thing I do with a new camera.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

gschlact
1,317 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2010

Nov 27, 2016 22:32 |  #6746

These look pretty good, given web resolution and distance to subject and FL.

TeleFragger wrote in post #18196537 (external link)
was 1.05???

1.1.0 now

so I DL the new firmware after these pics. I reset my camera this morning to factory defaults. I haven't had time to go through it to set up and had to take it out for some testing at picking out our tree. I also never used BFF before and this year started so. When I reset my camera it DID NOT reset BFF back to 1/2 shutter..

I also switched to center point as well. I am now thinking my issue is more with auto tracking as when I just spot checked a mess of soccer action shots I had weird confusion. That confusion is as follows...
when I do action soccer I had the AF points highlight constant red ( I like that setting ) and when I track I see whats going on and take pics with the action locked on the player. However after inspecting the pics I see the AF point on the ball, on the grass behind the player OR even NO AF POINT!!!!

The following pics are processed. our day was not greatly sunny but very overcasted and still chose to use my 24-105 @ f5.6...

After the reset I am a bit happier but wondering if it is more due to using center point af and not refocusing?

I will test more in the next few days. soccer is done and I am sick at the moment so a bit not in the uppidy mood...

I am open to light critique to flat out bash my stuff... don't matter to me hah...

few more on flickr. didn't want to post them all here... as going to post some in 7dm2 thread

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/NroB​ut  (external link) Tree2016 (7 of 20) (external link) by Jeffrey Riggs (external link), on Flickr

Oldest posing

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/NroA​1X  (external link) Tree2016 (13 of 20) (external link) by Jeffrey Riggs (external link), on Flickr

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/PELW​68  (external link) Tree2016 (20 of 20) (external link) by Jeffrey Riggs (external link), on Flickr

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,326 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 27, 2016 23:03 |  #6747

TeleFragger wrote in post #18196537 (external link)
was 1.05???

1.1.0 now

QUOTED IMAGE

Oldest posing

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

That first shot looks pretty good to me.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Lester ­ Wareham
27,468 posts
Gallery: 2839 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2005

Nov 28, 2016 00:09 |  #6748

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18196182 (external link)
BBF is one of the first 2 settings that I set on a new camera. For me it makes the difference to a high rate of keepers vs not.

Oh absolutely, me too; don't think I am being negative about BBF.

In fact I can't get along with shutter half press or one shot period, just doesn't with my thought patterns. Perhaps because I predate AF, but I am sure that applies to many here.

Just suggesting that in some circumstances with rapidly moving subjects the keeper rate can go down in my experience. Of course the more experience a person has with the subject the better they can predict and use those still moments.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
15,894 posts
Gallery: 2486 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 11, 2016 07:06 |  #6749

Me too, Very first thing I do lol

mwsilver wrote in post #18196601 (external link)
For me, turning the focus acquisition beep off is the very first thing I do with a new camera.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Canon-Chas
224 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by Canon-Chas with reason 'error'.

Dec 18, 2016 11:29 as a reply to  @ post 18121239 |  #6750

Hi, do you use BBF sorry for another abbreviation ...Back Button Focus?

It can help if you use back button to focus and when locked on to subject in AI SERVO mode wait one second before releasing the shutter.
With front button focus and shutter release if you are not locked on properly you can release the shutter too soon before acquiring focus lock

Might be worth a try?

Chas
http://www.wildfeather​s.co.uk (external link)

sponsored links

1,337,796 views & 2,730 likes for this thread
7D Mark II - Focus Discussions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.