Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 30 May 2008 (Friday) 03:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Interfit EX150 Mk2 kit mini-review

RRitch
569 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 03, 2008 03:25 |  #16

400d_newbie wrote in post #6799059 (external link)
Why oh why ?

I have interfit lights ... and a selection of s-fit accessories, I will now no longer buy interfit lights in favour of Bowens as my existing accessories will fit.

Fellow UK Elinchrom users that I know always complaing about the avaibility and cost of Elinchrom accessories.

... I don't understand Interfit's decision.

Which Interfit lights do you have? From what I understand, it is only the EX150 and EX200 that use the Elinchrom. The other lines use the Bowens mount.

My Gear List
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links
goatee
THREAD ­ STARTER
"nice but dim"
5,239 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 03, 2008 03:48 |  #17

Thanks so much - you're a star. Which reminds me, I need to go to the post office today, as I said Mitesh could have my old Photex 40D/5D remote, and I forgot to send it :oops:.

bubbawillums wrote in post #6799225 (external link)
I might have a spare radio trigger for it mate and if i can dig it out then its yours..
I have an infer red system for my new kit so i dont use the radio trigger.

D7100, 50mm f/1.8, 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6, 70-300mm f/3.5-5.6 VR, SB800
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=552906flickr (external link)

goatee
THREAD ­ STARTER
"nice but dim"
5,239 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 03, 2008 03:51 |  #18

Why is it an issue? Interfit do a reasonably comprehensive set of light modifiers in the Elinchrom (EX) mount. Also, if you want a large softbox type of thing, you could either get Elinchrom Rotalux softboxes, or the fantastic Photek Softlighter.

As Rritch says, it's only the EX lights that have the Elinchrom mount. I tried to start a thread that lists the mounts lights use -check it out https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=511306

400d_newbie wrote in post #6799059 (external link)
Why oh why ?

I have interfit lights ... and a selection of s-fit accessories, I will now no longer buy interfit lights in favour of Bowens as my existing accessories will fit.

Fellow UK Elinchrom users that I know always complaing about the avaibility and cost of Elinchrom accessories.

... I don't understand Interfit's decision.

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=552906flickr (external link)

bubbawillums
Goldmember
1,401 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Dec 03, 2008 03:55 |  #19

So i can use the Bowens stuff on my stellar lights?

My camera stuff

http://www.dandesborou​gh.co.uk (external link)

RRitch
569 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 03, 2008 04:58 as a reply to  @ bubbawillums's post |  #20

Yes I believe that is the case. You could e-mail there customer support to verify.

ustomerservice@interfi​tphotographicusa.com (external link)

My Gear List
My flickr (external link)

Ahoghill
50 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 03, 2008 07:44 |  #21

I bought this kit yesterday and a great time last night setting it up. I also picked up an Interfit Radio Trigger and got the lot from Jessops. With use of an online discount voucher I got the lot for £256. (I pretty much got the trigger for free). It's solid enough for the money and for a first kit to learn with I think it will prove value for money.

Canon 40D 10D, Canon 28-80mm 5.6, Canon EF 50mm 1.4 ,Canon 75-300mm 5.6, Sigma 12-24mm Speedlite 430EX, Interfit 2 Head Kit.
Lots of gadgets, bits and bobs and some things my wife doesn't know I've bought.
www.rtate.co.uk (external link)

MCB
668 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 06, 2009 13:21 |  #22

I recently picked up this kit from B&H and am very happy with it. On thing I didn't realize was that they can trigger off of a Speedlite 430EX. That was a happy surprise! I originally used the included cable to connect one head to my 40D, and had the second head set up to trigger off the first. One time I forgot to plug in the 40D and... wow, it still worked. :)

I agree that they are plenty bright enough in a small room (about 15x20 feet) and I have no problems shooting at 1/200 or 1/250. The beep that tells you they are ready to fire again is very helpful.

My only complaint is that the stands are a bit flimsy. If I have them extended all the way to the maximum eight, they kind of sag to the side and look like they are about to fall over. I don't have sand bags to weight them down, but have been using gaffers tape. That seems to be working, but it still makes me a little nervous.

Oh, and that softbox was murder to assemble. Maybe it's just mine, but it was a very, very tight fit to get it together. The black material on the sides of the box is literally coming apart at the seams under the strain of it all. It didn't rip, but it's looks close. I would never take it apart and try to re-assemble it. Maybe just bad quality control and I got the bad one? That's a small problem, though, and it works fine now that it is assembled.

Overall, I really like it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap starter set. (under $300 US when i bought it)

musicmaster
Saw the Light
853 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 01, 2010 10:53 |  #23

How would you guys say this compares to a Genesis 200. I found a local seller who is selling his kit for $150.

Gripped 70D, Sigma F/2.8 OS, 70-200L F/2.8, 300L F/4 IS, EOS M5, 18-150, 22 2.0

jod10
43 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Oct 12, 2010 22:08 |  #24

goatee wrote in post #5623757 (external link)
I got it via a mate of a mate type thing, but only got a small discount. The best price I've seen for it is £250 at Warehouse Express (external link) - on the box it lists a UK office, and a US office - I'm not sure if they distribute them in Oz.

Hi,

I saw you got a sekonic L-308s light meter that works with your interfit setup. The review of this on amazon say it's not good for portraiture as no aperture setting, and portraiture is what i want it for. Do you know if the the Sekonic L-358 is compatble with the interfit EX150 setup?

JO :)
Reduce, Re-use, Recycle
7D, EF-S 15-85, 85 f/1.8, 28mm f/1.8, 100-400mm, Tokina 11-17mm, Lensbaby 35 & 85mm

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 12, 2010 23:30 |  #25

I've been pretty damned happy with my original EX150 kit. Bought it about 3 years ago, used, from a guy in Boulder; when a capacitor died a couple of months later, Interfit wasted no time in sending me a new unit. When the OTHER unit died a few weeks later, they again wasted no time.
Even though I've moved on and bought a bigger kit since then, I still use them on occasion. Unfortunately, I have to use them as slaves... my Cybersync setup won't trigger the heads. :(

spacetime
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 12, 2010 23:59 |  #26

dave63 wrote in post #11086781 (external link)
I've been pretty damned happy with my original EX150 kit. Bought it about 3 years ago, used, from a guy in Boulder; when a capacitor died a couple of months later, Interfit wasted no time in sending me a new unit. When the OTHER unit died a few weeks later, they again wasted no time.
Even though I've moved on and bought a bigger kit since then, I still use them on occasion. Unfortunately, I have to use them as slaves... my Cybersync setup won't trigger the heads. :(

Many people have problems with wireless triggers as interfit has reversed their sync port. I believe it's center connection positive whereas everything else is negative.

eduardofrances
679 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Oct 13, 2010 00:57 |  #27

bubbawillums wrote in post #6803430 (external link)
So i can use the Bowens stuff on my stellar lights?

The stellar line (including X, XD, Xtreme) use the Bowens bayonet also called S-type, most Asian made lighting gear use it :D.

http://flickr.com/phot​os/eduardofrances/ (external link) :D

dave63
Goldmember
1,269 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Oct 13, 2010 09:46 |  #28

emitecaps wrote in post #11086955 (external link)
Many people have problems with wireless triggers as interfit has reversed their sync port. I believe it's center connection positive whereas everything else is negative.

Oh, really? Well, if that's that case... I'll just pop those things open and fix that, straight away.

goatee
THREAD ­ STARTER
"nice but dim"
5,239 posts
Joined May 2005

Nov 29, 2016 16:14 as a reply to  @ jod10's post |  #29

Only 6 years later. . . . it's fine for portraiture - you set the ISO, and then trigger the flashes. Once it has a reading, you can cycle through the shutter speeds and the apertures will update as per the shutter speed. Hope that helps - https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=5dKNAzkeiWA (external link) is a bit slow, but shows you how to use it.

sponsored links

28,250 views & 0 likes for this thread
Interfit EX150 Mk2 kit mini-review
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.