Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 28 Nov 2016 (Monday) 16:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Family wedding gig - Rude surprise

spiderm0nkey
62 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by spiderm0nkey.

Nov 28, 2016 16:49 |  #1

My aunt approached me back in August about shooting her daughter's wedding and asked for a price. I quoted $1000NZD and they were happy with that. (Kept it low as I've not done a lot of wedding work yet and they are family so wanted to look after them too.) Photographed the wedding on the Saturday just past. It was a 10hr day and was a 4hr drive from where I live! After the day was all over, my aunt came over to chat with my family and as she goes to leave, she casually turns to me and says "oh and we'll have to set up a payment plan for the photography." It left me stunned as she'd had months of notice to sort payment out and had never once mentioned they'd need to pay it off. I didn't get a chance to respond at the time as I was so taken back!

Now I'm left with a bitter taste and am thinking I won't supply the photos until I have received payment in full. In hindsight I should've made it clear I expected payment upon delivery of the photos but I (wrongly) assumed that because they are family, it wouldn't be an issue. Anyone else had to deal with this before? I am so disappointed and wondering if I'll even get paid for this at all. I think they expected me to turn around and offer my service as a wedding gift...

Canon 5D Mk 2 + Grip | 40 F/2.8 | 17-40 F/4 L | 85 F/1.8 | 50 F/1.4

sponsored links
98kellrs
841 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Nov 28, 2016 17:05 |  #2

Yeah...that's a tough one.

Family is a very personal thing, and each family is different. Personally I would be fine with a payment plan unless I was really strapped for cash but like I said, everyone's relationship with their family is different.

Ryan
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-T1
RSK Photography Facebook - Automotive Photography page (external link)
Website (external link)

spiderm0nkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 28, 2016 17:28 |  #3

98kellrs wrote in post #18197301 (external link)
Yeah...that's a tough one.

Family is a very personal thing, and each family is different. Personally I would be fine with a payment plan unless I was really strapped for cash but like I said, everyone's relationship with their family is different.

I'd be fine with a payment plan if they had notified me about doing it that way *before* the wedding. Not the night after doing the bulk of the work :( I had planned to book a much needed holiday with the money and now cannot do so for a while.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,644 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 28, 2016 17:43 |  #4

You've learned a lesson that you ALWAYS have details worked out before beginning work. The "it's family" thing is a huge trap. If anything, it is more important to have details ironed out with family.

I would immediately write up a payment schedule and deliver it. 50 percent now and 50 a month from now, with a fall back of 33 x 3 monthly payments. Zero work is done until payment is received.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,642 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt.

Nov 28, 2016 17:43 |  #5

Well, look at it from the positive perspective, as it could be worse!
It IS digital, where you need not have already fronted the money for film and processing and prints...so it is only your time and gasoline which you had to 'pay' up front!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

spiderm0nkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 28, 2016 19:01 |  #6

Yes, definitely won't make this mistake again. It's not the first time I've been mucked around by family with respect to photography, but the first time was many years ago and for a paltry amount so it wasn't a big loss to just let it go.

Some of my other family members are pretty peeved at the way it has panned out so I at least have the majority support! I'll be contacting them today to discuss this payment "plan" before I bother putting any more time into their images.

panicatnabisco
968 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Nov 28, 2016 23:09 |  #7

I would divide up the photos and deliver them in installments

Canon 1DX | 6D | 16-35/2.8II | 24-70/2.8II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | flickr (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Nov 29, 2016 11:39 |  #8

I use the same contract with family as with anyone else, I may adjust the price but I treat them like any other client. As for the position your in now. Make it clear you will not deliver any photos until the full payment is received. Its up to you if you want to work on them ahead of time or wait until payment is received. Next time you know, just because your family does not mean they don't get a contract.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
9,644 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 29, 2016 11:52 |  #9

spiderm0nkey wrote in post #18197444 (external link)
I'll be contacting them today to discuss this payment "plan" before I bother putting any more time into their images.

Personally, i would not let it become a discussion. Apologize for the misunderstanding regarding prompt payment, then write down your terms and deliver them. If they want the images faster, give them the opportunity to pay faster. No need to set yourself up for a negotiation.

panicatnabisco wrote in post #18197666 (external link)

sounds like more work and more potential for misunderstanding.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,642 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Nov 29, 2016 11:53 |  #10

"I normally charge 50% up front to book the wedding, then the balance is due by the day of the wedding...
I have

A) extended to you a significant discount for the wedding coverage, and
B) I also waived a deposit simply to book me.

And now

C) I am giving one final concession of the balance being due prior to delivery of photos -- rather than the usual balance due by day of wedding."

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

tim
Light Bringer
50,972 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Nov 29, 2016 12:22 |  #11

What does your contract say?

My rule: don't work with family unless you're doing it free.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
9,644 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 29, 2016 12:37 |  #12

tim wrote in post #18198133 (external link)
My rule: don't work with family unless you're doing it free.

LOL

earlier i was going to say something about how i typically run off family and friends simply by insisting that everything is in writing, which i guess has put me in the same position you take.

spiderm0nkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 29, 2016 16:37 |  #13

Some awesome advice guys, thank you very much. We have agreed that payment will be made in full prior to Christmas, by way of weekly installments. Lesson learned: treat family as clients when they want to book you for a job and lay everything out in a written, signed agreement.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Nov 29, 2016 17:14 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

panicatnabisco wrote in post #18197666 (external link)

Not a bad idea, but I think it might backfire: if the OP gives the good photos first, he might never see another cheque after the first one. If he gives the end of the tail first, he might be judged a bad photographer (on top of being a bad sport).

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

spiderm0nkey
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Nov 29, 2016 17:29 |  #15

Alveric wrote in post #18198419 (external link)
Not a bad idea, but I think it might backfire: if the OP gives the good photos first, he might never see another cheque after the first one. If he gives the end of the tail first, he might be judged a bad photographer (on top of being a bad sport).

I've sent through a couple of photos to them already just so they know what to expect but won't send any more through until I've at least got the bulk of the money. I have other work to be done for clients who have already paid me so my cousin can wait a bit!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links

5,694 views & 18 likes for this thread
Family wedding gig - Rude surprise
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.