Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 10:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Review WOW!

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,489 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 29, 2016 22:19 |  #4951

recrisp wrote in post #18198588 (external link)
I have been watching this thread since its inception and have been amazed at what I have seen by all of you, and of course, the lens.

So, I have a question...

I just bought one and I am wondering which setting to use, either the FULL or the 3m on distance and close-ups. I know, noob stuff, but it'd save me a lot of time rather than trying to figure it out, and it's been too cloudy to really get out, I have only played a short time in my backyard.

One more...
For Birds in Flight is it still STABILIZER MODE 2 and for all other things MODE 1?
I have a 400mm 2.8 and it is not the same on some of this and I always used MODE 2 on that one, but this new lens has 3 MODES,

I apologize for interrupting but this is the thread I am most familiar with, so I thought I would chance a quick question.

Carry on! :)

Also, thanks!

Randy

Focus Limiter: If you are shooting things that are closer than 9ft, set to Full. Otherwise, set it at the 3m setting and it will speed up AF acquisitions since it won't try to rack through that 0-9ft range while grabbing a subject.

IS: Many, many personal preferences there; but I've found Mode 1 nice for shooting non-moving things and scenes requiring much slower than normal shutter speeds; Mode 2 for anything moving around and I've tried Mode 3, but I really do need the stabilization of the image in the viewfinder to accurately frame things, so it's fairly useless to me. And, of course, Off for tripod.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sponsored links
digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,710 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 30, 2016 01:06 |  #4952

I have been watching this thread since its inception and have been amazed at what I have seen by all of you, and of course, the lens.

So, I have a question...

I just bought one and I am wondering which setting to use, either the FULL or the 3m on distance and close-ups. I know, noob stuff, but it'd save me a lot of time rather than trying to figure it out, and it's been too cloudy to really get out, I have only played a short time in my backyard.

One more...
For Birds in Flight is it still STABILIZER MODE 2 and for all other things MODE 1?
I have a 400mm 2.8 and it is not the same on some of this and I always used MODE 2 on that one, but this new lens has 3 MODES,

I apologize for interrupting but this is the thread I am most familiar with, so I thought I would chance a quick question.

Also, thanks!

Randy

I recently started for try Mode 3 for BIF and I think my keeper rate improved. I use mode1 for static objects.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Tyreman
Goldmember
1,061 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Nov 30, 2016 06:37 |  #4953

Just got this
Very interesting lense
I used to think my old version I was quite Good... But this..bw!

1D Mark III / 100-400 L Version II
430ex II

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by Pondrader.

Nov 30, 2016 07:30 |  #4954

Ya your gona love it.

Tyreman wrote in post #18198939 (external link)
Just got this
Very interesting lense
I used to think my old version I was quite Good... But this..bw!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 30, 2016 08:50 |  #4955

If I mounted a 1.4x extender to my 1Dx which is F8 focus in the centre only, does that mean I have to use single point and all the zone AF etc are disabled?

sploo
premature adulation
2,411 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Nov 30, 2016 09:02 |  #4956

cdang wrote in post #18199034 (external link)
If I mounted a 1.4x extender to my 1Dx which is F8 focus in the centre only, does that mean I have to use single point and all the zone AF etc are disabled?

That's (nearly) correct - you can do one expansion mode. If you look at the guidebook at http://cpn.canon-europe.com …ting_guidebook_​updated.do (external link) on page 83 it shows "Group H"; which includes the 100-400 with a 1.4x TC.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 30, 2016 09:13 |  #4957

Thanks!

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,710 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 30, 2016 09:31 |  #4958

cdang wrote in post #18199053 (external link)
Thanks!

That is why I don't use the 1.4 for BIF. Not that I can't but I lose too many fun focusing options and you can crop the heck out of the 7D2. I use it for static shots of smaller birds and distant wildlife.

Image Editing OK

recrisp
Goldmember
2,471 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by recrisp.

Nov 30, 2016 11:18 |  #4959

Thank you to ALL (McNeese72, Pondrader, Snydremark, and Digital Paradise) that helped me learn (very easily) how to use this, it's a pretty and clear day today but I have too much to do. heheh

Really, I do appreciate every one of your suggestions, I'm really not an idjit, but I wanted to hear how y'all went about it and it would save me some time, I learn faster from other people's experiences.

Randy

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 30, 2016 14:03 |  #4960

So, I have a question...

One more...

Also, thanks!

Randy

I am one of the Oddballs that does not like IS and does not want it on any of their lenses - with one exception, namely the 100-400 Mk2! For some reason I find this lens very hard to hand hold steadily. I don't like IS as it gets in the way on moving subjects an is of little help (for me) on static ones.

However the Mode 3 IS on the 100-400 Mk2 has proven to be very good in my experience and unless I know I will only be at high shutter speeds then I use this mode as a default on this lens. It does help with lower shutter speeds but, more importantly, Mode 3 does not seem to interfere (significantly) with moving subjects. I was very surprised at needing IS on a lens like this but Mode 3 does work!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

recrisp
Goldmember
2,471 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined May 2008

Nov 30, 2016 15:36 as a reply to  @ johnf3f's post |  #4961

I do remember reading how some like it like that, so I will definitely try your way too, I want it to work as well as possible for me.
Using my 400mm 2.8 I always have Mode 2 on, I have yet to have any problems with that method. Of course the weight on the 2.8 is considerably more! :)
To be honest, where I used to shoot before I moved all of the areas around me were sitting birds, I really didn't have any good backgrounds to shoot with, I know that may sound odd, but I didn't, so I shoot more sitting 'ducks' than flying.

Thanks for the reply John! :)

Randy

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,710 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Nov 30, 2016 15:46 |  #4962

johnf3f wrote in post #18199350 (external link)
I am one of the Oddballs that does not like IS and does not want it on any of their lenses - with one exception, namely the 100-400 Mk2! For some reason I find this lens very hard to hand hold steadily. I don't like IS as it gets in the way on moving subjects an is of little help (for me) on static ones.

However the Mode 3 IS on the 100-400 Mk2 has proven to be very good in my experience and unless I know I will only be at high shutter speeds then I use this mode as a default on this lens. It does help with lower shutter speeds but, more importantly, Mode 3 does not seem to interfere (significantly) with moving subjects. I was very surprised at needing IS on a lens like this but Mode 3 does work!

I have never found IS an issue in Mode 2. Every BIF I have taken and posted is with IS on. Even with my good old 300L F4 IS which is first generation IS. Many times I would forget and use Mode 1 when panning and success.

Image Editing OK

cdang
263 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Nov 30, 2016 18:51 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #4963

I've been debating getting a used 7D2 instead of using a 1.4 for BIF..

At the moment I'm using case 3 with zone AF. Anyone using something different? Thanks for sharing your tips ߘ

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,489 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Nov 30, 2016 19:09 |  #4964

cdang wrote in post #18199592 (external link)
I've been debating getting a used 7D2 instead of using a 1.4 for BIF..

At the moment I'm using case 3 with zone AF. Anyone using something different? Thanks for sharing your tips ߘ

what's your current body?

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,091 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 30, 2016 19:13 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #4965

Glad to hear of your success! Unfortunately it does not tally with my and others experiences.

But we are all different and have different insights. Could I ask, have you tried shooting BIF with IS off?

I have found that IS OFF is the better method, as has everyone I know, but that does not mean that we are right!

I do know that with the 100-400 Mk1, 70-20 F2.8 L IS Mk1, 300 F4 L IS, 300 F2.8 L IS mk1 and 2, 600 F4 L IS Mk1, 800 F5.6 L IS that turning IS off is the better option. Note that these are all lenses that I do or have owned (except for the 300 F2.8 L Mk2).

I was very surprised that the IS mode 3 worked so well on my 100-400 Mk2 - but I was horrified that it needed it! Much as I like this lens the balance and handling is terrible! Perhaps that is why it needs IS?

Anyway if you can get good BIF shots, as it appears you can, with IS on then I salute you. IS has completely defeated me! With IS off most numpties (around here) seem to fare better, but I respect your opinion and experience.

So long as you get the shot, who cares how you got it? I (and others) just find IS OFF easier and more successful - you find otherwise and that's fine.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links

3,264,323 views & 33,797 likes for this thread
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Review WOW!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.