Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
Thread started 12 Nov 2016 (Saturday) 15:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Suggestion for Canon User new to Fuji System

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,304 posts
Gallery: 341 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Dec 01, 2016 07:37 as a reply to  @ post 18199698 |  #46

Yep, anticipation and reaction, the real skill is that. Gets easier with better tools, though it will never replace being [putting yourself] in the right place at the right time.

Fujifilm cameras and lenses.
Get 5% off Fuji from Kim ;) (external link)
Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)
Coffee & Fujis (external link)YouTube (external link)

sponsored links
AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,445 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 01, 2016 11:01 |  #47

Jeff Hanson wrote in post #18199698 (external link)
I'm no expert, but I've learned through experience that if I'm not anticipating a moment of action (or interaction) and don't start shooting from before the time I anticipate it until the interaction is over, it's a million to one that I get the shot. If I see the interaction (or moment) and think "man, I've got to get this shot" no matter what camera system I have, it's too late. I don't know if that makes sense, or maybe I'm just crazy.

Your not crazy. You can miss "money shot" simply by micro seconds in some situations. Photog's body placement during some events is crucial or you'll miss the shot regardless of gear.

My secondary system use to be micro 4/3 bodies. The GH3 was extremely zippy fast in AF that would focus almost instantaneously. I prefer fuji IQ and high iso performance by a huge margin but I knew I'll loose that AF response of the m43 bodies.

Picked up a canon 80D hoping Canon improved their crop sensors and to be honest it was a pleasant surprise in IQ and iso performance for Canon crop. It has a quick AF system adequate for a casual sports shooter. If I immediately start using my fuji 16MP bodies I feel a big step backwards in focus speed. Using my 5dmk2 the shutter is not refined sounding but it's definitely quicker and I do not miss nearly as much moments as the fuji.

Now I shoot consecutive photos with fuji just for reassurance of getting shots.

I just feel my 16mp fuji's do a stellar job for certain applications. It's about selecting tools for specific reasons :)

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,434 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 01, 2016 11:39 |  #48

I know lag on Fuji can be bad, not denying it but for most event type of shots, it shouldn't matter. If one can focus using center AF point, recompose and take a shot and not miss that fleeting moment, you must be super quick in anticipating things. Just my take. Nothing personal.

When I started using Fuji for baseball, I felt like crap. My keeper rate was so low, like 10-20% at most. Over 3 months, it went to 80-90%. Same camera, lens did change from 55-200 to 50-140mm but it was me more than anything else.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,580 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 02, 2016 02:14 |  #49

LeeRatters wrote in post #18197700 (external link)
^^^ Looks good. What Canon gear? I presume the 56mm from Fuji.

The detail and resolution are the only things keeping my toe in the Sony camp really. Yes, I could upgrade to, I suppose, the X-pro2 (as I'm not too keen on the looks and layout of the X-t2) I'd love an X-e3 with the newer sensor ideally!! But either way I have to get a newer version of Lightroom again which is added aggro and cost.

I'm with you on that one. I have fallen in love with my X-Pro2, don't get me wrong (I really miss the OVF when I'm using the X-E2), but I love the size, weight and layout of the X-E2 so much, and that pop-up flash makes it such a perfect little walk around camera. I really should find a nice small bounce-able flash for my X-Pro2, but it'll never be as neat as just having it built into the camera.

AlanU wrote in post #18198675 (external link)
Bobby I cull my blurry/imperfect photos (jpg or RAW). Do you keep out of focus or saggy eyed images?? I do not have any client photos to show you. During a reception I can be shooting one thing and in a split second I see something happen in my peripheral vision with a slit second to redirect your camera (or secondary camera). Any lag can miss an expression, pinch of a cheek, peck on the cheek etc. Events are dynamic and not static like portraits, posed family shots etc. Even doing a family session with young kids I still prefer using my canon gear as I document adventurous silly kids doing what kids do that is unscripted. Under the hustle of running and gunning during a paid event is entirely a different than how I document my casual family life photos.

Consecutive photos documenting sports with short burst of spray and pray acquiring focus is entirely different to documenting an event capturing a slit second of unscripted facial expression/moments. I'll admit some of reception photos have a nice chunk of time to document but some emotional interaction there no room to have any shutter lag. Just that ever so slight lag of AF can miss a killer shot.

The 5dmk2 is getting old but the center focus/single shot (never AI servo)is extremely fast with no shutter lag. Did you watch and hear what Chris Niccolls said about your Fuji body?? The Camera store IMO is quite accurate in their reviews on camera gear.

This shutter lag on the X-T10/X-T1 is just enough to miss a a fraction of a second. I've had more saggy eyed shots with my Fuji over my Canon 5dmk2 or 5dmk3. My assumption is the X-T2 is well received simply because Fuji finally put emphasis on the complaints of the sluggish shutter lag of the 16mp bodies. IF Fuji introduced the X-T2 with no difference in AF but new 24mp sensor I think Fuji folks would be in rage. Everyone was anticipating better AF and they delivered.

Bobby if you getting perfect shots in events that is excellent. My experience with 16mp fuji bodies is definitely echoing many fuji bloggers discussing 16mpx fuji body shutter lag. This is probably the difference of how you shoot vs my style of shooting.

I feel refreshed shooting the 80D and 5dmk3 for fast AF compared to my 16MP Fuji bodies. This does NOT mean I do not love my fuji though!!!

I'm not sure if you've tried the newer bodies, but the lag issues for me are all but gone (not that I ever really had a problem with them anyway). In fact, with the OVF of the X-Pro2 I'm finding that I'm getting the decisive moment even more often now... I know everyone's heard it so many times now that it's almost cliche, but being able to watch your subject before they enter the frame is seriously awesome once you get used to it.

The only time I would say there's a "lag" is when I'm shooting in low light environments without the assist light. I learned pretty quick when shooting a party for my mom that I needed to leave the light on, even though it's bordering on ridiculous with how bright it is on the X-Pro2.

Jeff Hanson wrote in post #18199698 (external link)
I'm no expert, but I've learned through experience that if I'm not anticipating a moment of action (or interaction) and don't start shooting from before the time I anticipate it until the interaction is over, it's a million to one that I get the shot. If I see the interaction (or moment) and think "man, I've got to get this shot" no matter what camera system I have, it's too late. I don't know if that makes sense, or maybe I'm just crazy.

This.

bobbyz wrote in post #18200164 (external link)
I know lag on Fuji can be bad, not denying it but for most event type of shots, it shouldn't matter. If one can focus using center AF point, recompose and take a shot and not miss that fleeting moment, you must be super quick in anticipating things. Just my take. Nothing personal.

When I started using Fuji for baseball, I felt like crap. My keeper rate was so low, like 10-20% at most. Over 3 months, it went to 80-90%. Same camera, lens did change from 55-200 to 50-140mm but it was me more than anything else.

It sounds to me that you need to try an X-T2, no more focusing and recomposing (unless you want to or the action is super fast), no serious shutter lag and very little EVF blackout ;)

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,445 posts
Gallery: 126 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 02, 2016 09:46 |  #50

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18200824 (external link)
I'm with you on that one. I have fallen in love with my X-Pro2, don't get me wrong (I really miss the OVF when I'm using the X-E2), but I love the size, weight and layout of the X-E2 so much, and that pop-up flash makes it such a perfect little walk around camera. I really should find a nice small bounce-able flash for my X-Pro2, but it'll never be as neat as just having it built into the camera.

I'm not sure if you've tried the newer bodies, but the lag issues for me are all but gone (not that I ever really had a problem with them anyway). In fact, with the OVF of the X-Pro2 I'm finding that I'm getting the decisive moment even more often now... I know everyone's heard it so many times now that it's almost cliche, but being able to watch your subject before they enter the frame is seriously awesome once you get used to it.

The only time I would say there's a "lag" is when I'm shooting in low light environments without the assist light. I learned pretty quick when shooting a party for my mom that I needed to leave the light on, even though it's bordering on ridiculous with how bright it is on the X-Pro2.

This.

It sounds to me that you need to try an X-T2, no more focusing and recomposing (unless you want to or the action is super fast), no serious shutter lag and very little EVF blackout ;)

I'm right eye dominant so I do open my left eye to scan the area. I'm fully accepting the limits of my 16MP fuji bodies so I'm fine with that limitation of lag. I'm just looking into finally getting an EF-X500 to expand my uses with my fuji gear. The fun I'm having is to expand my secondary system :)

X-T2 ($1949 CDN $$$$$$) is a logical choice for my fuji gear. I'm still not going to let my Canon gear go so my debate is I'd rather buy a new cheaper 4yrs old technology Canon FF 6d as a beat around smaller dlsr for another additional backup body for contracted events.

The fun and challenge of $$$ expenditure for me is logically selecting gear for very specific reasons.

X-T2 is on my short list :)

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,304 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Dec 02, 2016 11:21 as a reply to  @ AlanU's post |  #51

Don't forget the grip so you can use boost mode and further speed up the AF

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,580 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012
Post edited over 2 years ago by EverydayGetaway.

Dec 02, 2016 12:06 |  #52

AlanU wrote in post #18201027 (external link)
I'm right eye dominant so I do open my left eye to scan the area. I'm fully accepting the limits of my 16MP fuji bodies so I'm fine with that limitation of lag. I'm just looking into finally getting an EF-X500 to expand my uses with my fuji gear. The fun I'm having is to expand my secondary system :)

X-T2 ($1949 CDN $$$$$$) is a logical choice for my fuji gear. I'm still not going to let my Canon gear go so my debate is I'd rather buy a new cheaper 4yrs old technology Canon FF 6d as a beat around smaller dlsr for another additional backup body for contracted events.

The fun and challenge of $$$ expenditure for me is logically selecting gear for very specific reasons.

X-T2 is on my short list :)

As am I, and I've always done the same thing, but it's not the same as having a frame line inside showing you exactly when your subject will enter the frame, there is no guess work at all. It's also extremely useful in capturing someone not blinking or making a weird face (though the same could be said of DSLR's in that regard).

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Dec 03, 2016 07:20 |  #53

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18182787 (external link)
You'll get 300-400 shots per battery so for travel three a day should be good. Nothing that you shoot will be a problem for the X-T2 to capture but I also second the primes they are great to shoot with. I came from the 5D3, there is little I miss and so much more I enjoy now.

Figure out the electronic shutter, spot metering matched with the AF point & preview image in screen on/off so you can see what you get or in the dark...
There is so much to set up it'd be a long list that differs for most. If you Lee system is the square kind you'll just need the few adaptors to mount it to the lenses otherwise step up/down rings. Happy shooting.

Battery life is not something you can rely on in cold weather. At least two extras are needed when icy conditions are in the mix. More when you get below zero(f) as they don't do well in arctic temperatures.

Other than that, read the manual with camera in hand, play with it and photograph so you get the feel of the controls.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,304 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Dec 03, 2016 11:29 as a reply to  @ Deardorff's post |  #54

I spent 5 hours shooting in an Ice Cave for Coors [Molson] & didn't notice much of a drop in capacity but it was only ~ -3 in there so not that cold I guess.

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Dec 04, 2016 10:37 |  #55

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18202057 (external link)
I spent 5 hours shooting in an Ice Cave for Coors [Molson] & didn't notice much of a drop in capacity but it was only ~ -3 in there so not that cold I guess.

Coldest I have used the Fuji X-Pro1 is 34 below. Coldest with the Canon EOS 1 series is 44 below.

Fuji - needed to change batteries often. At times I got fewer than a dozen shots before it stopped and I had to change out. Once warmed up I could use it again for about the same number of shots. Other Fuji batteries(factory) gave more exposures before I had to change.

With the 1DsMkIII I shot all day and had the camera in the vehicle overnight in the cold before going out in the morning - and never had to change the battery. In the vehicle outside, not in a heated garage. Temps at 44 below zero in early morning light and warmed to 22 below mid afternoon.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
3,304 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Dec 04, 2016 15:21 as a reply to  @ Deardorff's post |  #56

12 shots before you needed a change, like the old days right there.

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Dec 07, 2016 21:38 |  #57

Two Hot Shoes wrote in post #18203234 (external link)
12 shots before you needed a change, like the old days right there.

Yep. Have two Sigma DP Merrill cameras. Image quality is excellent and they have a "feel" that is seen in print. Battery life is like shooting 36 exposure rolls of film. I plan on it that way and am not disappointed with it.

Image quality makes it all worth it. No interchangeable anything. Slow and clunky to use at times - but the image quality... that is what I am after. A very good complement in many ways to the Fuji gear. One big plus among all the drawbacks you hear is that with fixed lenses you never have problems with dust on the sensor.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,498 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 15, 2016 09:51 |  #58

Interesting pages above where it is started about AF and events.
I don't have events, but busy home where almost every evening something happens under energy saving lights (dim) and I'm grabbing camera to catch the moment. I've been using Canon DSLRs since 2008 for it and it is not so easy. I need to select nearest AF point to have face in focus, but often AF point is not close enough to the face, if large aperture.

And here comes X-A3 with not only face, but eye recognition, touch screen and else. Please, tell me, is Fuji X series AF for eye recognition function working under dim light?
Well, even if it doesn't work fast enough, touching screen where I need focus to be does sound promising already! Just like my iPhone, which is most easiest device to focus with.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,434 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 15, 2016 10:16 |  #59

Fuji face/eye detect is not good. Sony is much much better but then Sony menus, interface are pain for me.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,498 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 15, 2016 10:36 as a reply to  @ bobbyz's post |  #60

Bad news to me about Fuji....

IMO, Sony makes most boring, no-name cameras and lenses I ever seen.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links

8,379 views & 15 likes for this thread
Suggestion for Canon User new to Fuji System
FORUMS Other Digital Cameras Fuji Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.