Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 03 Dec 2016 (Saturday) 07:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sandisk extreme the 'best' for cold weather?

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Dec 03, 2016 07:08 |  #1

In checking out both compact flash and SD cards I don't find any other than the SanDisk Extreme cards that say they will work well in cold weather. Not freezing - as that is comfortable. Talking sub zero(f) temperatures. (minus 18 and colder Celsius)

Any other cards that are good for cold weather use?

Am in North Dakota, USA and we get chilly winters. Many others are colder than we are so looking for reality in what cards are rated for these temperatures.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

sponsored links
gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,091 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 03, 2016 07:23 |  #2

I've never had any issues with cards even in extreme cold. I did have a read LCD stop working on my 40D years back but that was a very cold day, something like -18f (-28c). Now the cameras themselves are only rated to 32f (0c) but there too, other than the 40D I've never had issues even in really cold weather.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

tandemhearts
582 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Dec 03, 2016 08:17 |  #3

In general SD cards are temperature tolerant - depending on where you live of course. San Disk rates all of their cards down to -13F. Several companies (e.g. Kingston, transcend) make "industrial" rated cards down to -40F.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,986 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Dec 03, 2016 18:08 |  #4

Deardorff wrote in post #18201896 (external link)
In checking out both compact flash and SD cards I don't find any other than the SanDisk Extreme cards that say they will work well in cold weather. Not freezing - as that is comfortable. Talking sub zero(f) temperatures. (minus 18 and colder Celsius)

Any other cards that are good for cold weather use?

Am in North Dakota, USA and we get chilly winters. Many others are colder than we are so looking for reality in what cards are rated for these temperatures.

It's not a matter of how cold the winters get, it's a matter of how cold the camera gets. Any current SD card will operate in any weather your camera will operate.

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 03, 2016 18:13 |  #5

I imagine lowering the temperature below freezing will only make the card faster. You know how the me super conductors fast by dousing them in liquid nitrogen!

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,962 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by John from PA. (3 edits in all)

Dec 03, 2016 19:35 |  #6

flowrider wrote in post #18202367 (external link)
I imagine lowering the temperature below freezing will only make the card faster. You know how the me super conductors fast by dousing them in liquid nitrogen!

I won't go into enthalpy and entropy but suffice it to say that at absolute zero all motion of the fundamental particles of nature have minimal motion. The effect of slowing motion with reduced temperature is based on absolute temperature, referred to as Rankine or degrees R if we talk Fahrenheit. Absolute "zero" is -460 deg F so 70 deg F is 530 deg R (460 + 70) and -18 deg F is 442 deg R. So the slowing of motion is based on the ratio of 442/530 or 83%. Its a bit of an oversimplification but things would only speed up, if at all by 17%. There are many factors involved; as I said this is an oversimplification but at -18 deg F don't expect a noticeable improvement in read/write speeds.

sponsored links

2,949 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sandisk extreme the 'best' for cold weather?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.