Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 05 Dec 2016 (Monday) 19:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need Editing Help Please

ken_k
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 05, 2016 19:56 |  #1

My DIL wanted to be sure the top of the Christmas tree was visible in the image and the only way to accomplish this and crop to 4x6 was to get low and shoot up. Unfortunately it left her neck with a very unflattering look. I've spent hours in Elements try to make it look better to no avail. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be forever indebted. Thanks for any help.
Just in case there's any doubt, she's in the top row, center.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
Damo77
Goldmember
4,609 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 05, 2016 21:02 |  #2

May we see the area close up (external link)?

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Grizz
Cream of the Crop
5,493 posts
Gallery: 315 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Mar 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by Grizz.

Dec 05, 2016 21:23 |  #3

Id try the liquefy tool in PS I don't know if elements has it.
Here is a real quick go at it, i'm sure it could be better with more time spent.

HOSTED PHOTO

Craig * Canon 7D Mark II * 60D * 10D * Tamron SP 150-600 f/5-6.3 Di VC USD * EF 400 5.6L USM * EF 17-40 4.0L USM * EF 70-210 4.0 * EF 28 2.8 * EF 50 1.8 MK1*Flickr (external link)

medd63
356 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2014

Dec 05, 2016 22:23 |  #4

I would also say the liquify tool is your best bet.

6D, 7D2, T4i, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 100mm Macro f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 50mm f/1.4 IS, EF-S 55-250, 1.4 II TC, Kenko Extension Tubes, MeFoto Globetrotter & Roadtrip Tripods, Lightroom CC, Photoshop CC

ken_k
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 06, 2016 06:58 |  #5

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Elements does have a Liquify tool . I've been playing with it a bit but am getting some grotesque results. Obviously there is a learning curve -?.

Here's a close-up Damo77

HOSTED PHOTO

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,891 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 06, 2016 08:19 |  #6

You can do this w/ the liquify. The jpg is small to give a good result, but here is a sample w/ the image you have:

HOSTED PHOTO

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 06, 2016 09:49 |  #7

Whew. Out of the female subjects that I know, this is their most hated thing that happens in photos.

In the future: As a photographer, you have to be mindful of this. As soon as you see that photo on the LCD you think "oh boy, she's going to hate this one," you delete it without saying anything, make some posing adjustments, and take a different one. For posing help, search on Youtube for Peter Hurley's "It's all about the jaw" video. Send the link to the women in your life who are self-conscious about this sort of thing.

OK, but let's talk about fixing this one that's already in the can.
You have two issues here to try to fix: One, the shape of the neck/chin/jaw; second the lighting and tone of the neck/chin/jaw.

Using liquify to reshape it is only half the battle. You'll also gently use dodge and burn (mostly burn) to adjust the lighting under the chin and jaw.
I do most of that work in Lightroom, using some custom adjustment brushes, so I can't give specific advice on doing it in Elements. But, you're going to imagine - "What would the shadows look like if that little roll wasn't prominent? Where would the shadows from her chin and jaw fall?"

Darken those bright areas directly underneath her chin and jaw. Don't overdo it or it'll look too fake and obvious.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,719 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by kirkt.

Dec 06, 2016 09:49 |  #8

If you are hoping for an edit to use here, that's cool, but be aware that you are posting your JPEG (8bit file ) in ProPhoto color space, which may yield some posterized results if folks start adjusting tones (to compensate for the WB, for example).

Liquify will take care of the issue in a snap - I used the "Push Left" tool with a low density (effect strength) and a few strokes on either side of the lower jaw line/neck area.

The perspective distortion skewing the window in the background is also distracting, but attempting to correct it will crop off the top of the tree as well.

Next time, set the camera at a level about midway between the seated and standing subject's eyes, level the camera and shoot square to the window. Back up or zoom out until the entire scene is captured and then crop - shoot knowing which crop size(es) you intend to use. Also, consider shooting in Portrait mode if the taller element of the tree is important. Shooting up, under peoples' noses is not real flattering.

You can also group the subjects so that their faces are closer together and shoot a portrait, with DOF blur that will capture the tree in the background (not the whole tree, but a nice part of it) with nice blurred light circles.

kirk

Kirk
---

Redcrown
335 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 06, 2016 10:52 |  #9

Liquify may work, but would be a lot of work. I'd try a face swap first. The sample posted is too small to work on, but the girl in bottom right has a chin that looks like it might be a good match. I'd cut out her chin and neck, paste it over the target face, then transform/rotate/size and mask.

ken_k
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 06, 2016 12:03 |  #10

WOW - thanks for so many people chiming in. RE: the image size and format - I originally shot in RAW and imported into Lightroom. What is the desired image size and format for posting here?

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,891 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 06, 2016 12:19 |  #11

link a raw file for us...use dropbox.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 06, 2016 12:44 |  #12

Everyone would be better served with a re-shoot using knowledge of what went wrong the last time.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

ken_k
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 06, 2016 14:23 |  #13

chauncey wrote in post #18205143 (external link)
Everyone would be better served with a re-shoot using knowledge of what went wrong the last time.

Couldn't agree more but logistics are probably going to prevent this from happening.

ken_k
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 06, 2016 14:37 |  #14

Here's a link to the raw image. Again, thanks so much for all the help.

https://dl.dropboxuser​content.com/u/51241585​/_MG_4829.CR2 (external link)

Levina ­ de ­ Ruijter
I'm a bloody goody two-shoes!
17,867 posts
Gallery: 277 photos
Best ofs: 10
Joined Sep 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Levina de Ruijter.

Dec 06, 2016 15:05 |  #15

There are two ways in which I think you can do this. I did a very quick and dirty edit (on the jpeg - only after posting this did I notice the link to the raw file).

1. darken the neck and fill in the edges with cloning the hair, like so:

HOSTED PHOTO

2. copy the neck of the girl in blue (same chin) and blend it in, like so:

HOSTED PHOTO

Levina
Please quote when responding to a post!!!
There is no such thing as ect. It's etc. (with period) from latin et cetera.
Colours are not complimentary but complementary.
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links

4,585 views & 12 likes for this thread
Need Editing Help Please
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.