Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 04 Dec 2016 (Sunday) 17:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

event photography

Standby ­ one
115 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 04, 2016 17:30 |  #1

I have search and there is not much new talk about event photography. One year is about the youngest, so I am doing special photography events at local businesses as part of there customer appreciation. I use a Kodak 9810 and I tested it two day before the event and it DIED,. so I had to use my canon ink jet, the quality was super but the time was terrible!

So as I was searching I learned about the app that DNP had the party print, but not any more. I am thinking there is something better but can't find it. I love the idea that people can take pictures and send them to my printer at the event.

What are you guys doing? Wireless printer? Wireless print server, which one?

I was lookiing at Print Hammermill app for the guest to use? Not what I was thinking, but might work.

Looking for help and idea's.

Thanks

Sam

www.distinctivephotogr​​aphy.net (external link) (external link)
Aerial Photography and more Canon 5D Canon 5D Mark III All Canon Lens,24mm 70mm 2.8, 70mm 200mm 2.8, 100mm micro 2.8, Rebel Xt 18-55mm 75-300 mm 1973 Cessna 182P Alien Bees B 400, DJI Quad Copter, 2005 42' Renegade, 1955 Belair Station Wagon survivor.

sponsored links
Scott ­ Spellman
203 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 05, 2016 11:44 |  #2

i have done may event photo printing gigs over the years, but not lately. If I had to do one now, I would use an assistant with a laptop and 3 Canon Selphy 4 by 6 Wireless printers like these:

https://www.amazon.com …non+selphy+prin​terwirelss (external link)

You would have a card with the Wifi name and Canon app to provide to guests to print their own photos, and 2 other printers to print the pro photos from the laptops. 50 second print speed at a cost of $0.27. Event printing is very demanding and double staff and backup equipment is a must.

mcluckie
I play with fire, run with scissors and skate on thin ice all at once!
2,059 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 05, 2016 12:47 |  #3

Scott Spellman wrote in post #18204081 (external link)
i have done may event photo printing gigs over the years, but not lately. If I had to do one now, I would use an assistant...

Me, too, but then I wouldn't show up.

multidisciplinary visual guy | traveler on the 8-fold path | seeker of the spark | walker of the dog
all dingus | dslr canon 5D4, 85L, 70-200LII zeiss distagon 15, 21, 25, 28, 50ƒ1.4 milvus; vario-sonnar N 24-85; makro planar 50, 100 mirrorless fujifilm XT-2, XT-20, 16, 18, 56, 16-55, 50-140; zeiss distagon 12, planar 32 film canon 1n hasselblad 501cm, 50, 80

Standby ­ one
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 06, 2016 09:54 as a reply to  @ Scott Spellman's post |  #4

thanks for the input, I have looked at that Canon Printer, they are cheap to buy and cheap to print. The reviews are mixed on them too.
Sound advice on the back up and staffing.

Do you have wifi for your camera to link to the laptop and then the assistant to edit and print? I shoot with Canon.

Sam

Aerial Photography and more Canon 5D Canon 5D Mark III All Canon Lens,24mm 70mm 2.8, 70mm 200mm 2.8, 100mm micro 2.8, Rebel Xt 18-55mm 75-300 mm 1973 Cessna 182P Alien Bees B 400, DJI Quad Copter, 2005 42' Renegade, 1955 Belair Station Wagon survivor.

Scott ­ Spellman
203 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by Scott Spellman.

Dec 06, 2016 10:11 as a reply to  @ Standby one's post |  #5

Dye sub printers offer great image quality, easy paper ink use, and water resistant prints.

Wifi is way to unreliable for busy events, I just swap cards with the assistant. On my 70D, downloading images through WiFi takes about 3-4 seconds each and will prevent the camera from shooting- no thanks.

kenwood33
Goldmember
2,578 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Dec 06, 2016 14:28 |  #6

any decent dye sub printer will do

for example

https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …%2C&A=details&Q​=&pcur=CAD (external link)

Gearlist

Standby ­ one
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 06, 2016 19:57 as a reply to  @ Scott Spellman's post |  #7

Scott thanks for answering my questions.

I have a Kodak 8800 Dye sub and yes it works great, but only does 8x10. And now I understand the assistant, so do you shoot jpeg and do you edit any or just a few as needed. ( lightroom?) Then just lay them out on a table? And any more information your willing to share.

Thanks Tons

Sam

Scott ­ Spellman
203 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by Scott Spellman.

Dec 07, 2016 01:02 as a reply to  @ Standby one's post |  #8

The process and requirements do depend on the client. I only do print on location gigs where the client pays for everything and customers get prints for free. Any sales with prints on site is way too much of a nightmare to be worth it.

It is far easier and faster to only offer 4 by 6 pre cut prints than any other size. For most jobs I have done, the assistant imports .jpg only photos, picks the best ones for printing, crops if necessary, and sends them to be printed. The finished prints are put into envelopes and laid on a table for pickup, with usually 1 copy for every person in each photo.

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,989 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 12, 2016 19:29 |  #9

I do about 6-10 events a year and have tried just about everything, dye subs, ink jets, shuffling cards back and forth, etc...here's the solution I came up with and it works extremely well and is very efficient:

2-3 Canon Inkjet Printers. https://www.amazon.com …_detailpage?ie=​UTF8&psc=1 (external link)

3rd Party Ink. ($28 for 5 sets of ink)

Canon 4x6 Luster Paper

DslrBooth Software. (Dslrbooth.com)

6D Tethered to MacBook Pro using dslrBooth software

I set up a printer pool, which is SO much easier on a Mac, and the print speed is not a problem at all. Whatever you do, DO NOT GET SELPHY PRINTERS!! They take well over a minute for each print, and they are not very cost effective. Not including the camera and MacBook, this set up was around $250.

Gear
Website (external link)

Standby ­ one
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Dec 15, 2016 13:27 as a reply to  @ ShotByTom's post |  #10

Thanks so much for the information, I use a PC so I'll do some research on spooling.

Sam

bigVinnie
835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Feb 06, 2017 11:50 |  #11

I realize this is an old thread but it needs a good response :)

DNP does still offer a printing program called Hot Folder Print http://www.dnpphoto.co​m/Software/DNPs-Hot-Folder (external link)

DNP printers in my opinion are the only ones worth buying. I have several DS40's and DS80's and use the crap out of them. There is an updated model called the 620A that is just a bit faster. Reviews are good. The DS-RX1HS is a bit less expensive but larger due to larger paper capacity.

There are a few good vendors out there but my preference is FotoClub http://www.fotoclubinc​.com/dnp-printers.aspx (external link)

My preferred printing software is called PrintRipper http://www.allenchrist​opher.com/printripper.​html (external link)
Another popular one is from Breeze Systems https://breezesys.com/​Hotfolder/index.htm (external link)

I see people talk about using ink jets and cheap dye subs like the Selphy, but a real production grade printer is worth the money. From shot to print via PrintRipper on a DS40 is about 20 to 30 seconds. I've printed 10's of thousands of prints and never had one fail.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,989 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 07, 2017 09:57 |  #12

I used a DS40 and DS80 and loved them, they are great. But for smaller events it's tough to make that money back. I switched to inkjets and my total cost is less than a pack of DNP Media, and the prints on photo paper are much better.

Hard to argue against inkjets...Huge cost savings, HUGE! Much better paper to print on and are very durable.

Gear
Website (external link)

sponsored links

3,393 views & 1 like for this thread
event photography
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.