Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 30 Nov 2016 (Wednesday) 09:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Any studio strobes compatible with the Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter?

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
637 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 04, 2016 21:53 |  #16

Thanks to everyone for the great discussion!

sponsored links
agv8or
Goldmember
2,149 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by agv8or.

Dec 05, 2016 01:59 as a reply to  @ KatManDEW's post |  #17

I am not sure if we really provided any answers but there is just not a lot of options available that work directly with the Canon Wireless RT system other than the new Indra from Phottix as was previously mentioned. Here is another link for that strobe: http://flashhavoc.com …ix-indra500lc-ttl-strobe/ (external link)

There are several third party Speedlites and transmitters as well as a couple of receives that work with the Canon Wireless RT system so you can make about any strobe work. It just depends on whether you want to have TTL capability in the strobe and if you want to control the flash power and such from the camera? For TTL capability it looks like the only two choices are the Indra 500c or the AD360IIc with Laso receiver combo. If you are just looking for remote Manual power control from the camera then you could choose a flash like the Godox AD600B, where by you would control it's flash output with the XT16 transmitter but trigger it with one of the RT receivers, such as the Yongnuo YNE3-RX or Phottix Laso. There are several other flash units that would work in this similar manner such as the Rovelight RL600B.

The setup I use with the AD360IIc's and Laso receivers works well and one AD360II replaces 3 600EX-RT's. With the pro S brackets the AD360II's are a studio bare bulb strobe and will work with any of the Bowens mount modifiers. As much as it pains me to say it, I hope that one day Godox develops a decent Speedlite, to rival the 600EX-RT, so that once and for all I can focus on just one system. If Godox hadn't developed the AD600 then I would have been completely happy with the AD360IIc integration into the Wireless RT system. But!

The Godox X system just looks more promising down the road for having a complete system rather than waiting on Canon and other third party companies to make the Wireless RT system into one. It's only been in the last year that finally Yongnuo and then Phottix stepped up to the plate and built Wireless RT receivers. I thought that in less than a year, from the introduction of the 600EX-RT, we would see third party companies developing all kinds of strobes, transmitters and receivers to work with the RT system. Yet here we are, almost 5 years later, there are just 3-4 third party Speedlites and transmitters with only 2 receivers that work with the RT system. We now finally have the first direct compatible studio strobe soon to be released from Phottix. I got tired of waiting!

Rand

Gear

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,453 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Dec 05, 2016 10:00 |  #18

Having read the discussion here a few times, I am going to second part of what Rand is talking about.

ie: Although the logic in pursuing a strobe to go with the Canon system appears perfectly sound at first glance, at this time, it may be more logical to use ones existing Canon gear with a robust and fully developed triggering system like the current favorite offered by Godox ( and a host of other re-brandings of that same system, Flashpoint, Cheetah, Molight etc)

I sort of came at this in a similar way, it just did not involve studio strobes. At first I was happy to adapt the manual AD360s I purchased to fit my existing system. In my case, I had not got into the Canon RT yet, but was using the previous Canon generation (mostly 580EXII) and relying on Yongnuo 622 for radio wireless.

As it happens the AD360's play VERY nicely with the 622's.. so it took me some time to realize the ease of set up, and simplicity i was missing by NOT using the Godox gear.

I have since fully adopted Godox 2.4ghz as my wireless/radio system, and to incorporate the two remaining 580EXII I have I use the X1-R receivers.

Point:
Look at a strobe that uses a fully developed wireless system like the Godox (AD600 etc) and double down by adding X1 receivers to your RT flashes or, save a lot of $$ (and AA batteries ) by selling off most of your RT flashes and replacing with Lithium Ion powered V860 flashes instead. (keep a Canon or two for their indestructible reliability)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
637 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 07, 2016 06:36 |  #19

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18203986 (external link)
Having read the discussion here a few times, I am going to second part of what Rand is talking about.

ie: Although the logic in pursuing a strobe to go with the Canon system appears perfectly sound at first glance, at this time, it may be more logical to use ones existing Canon gear with a robust and fully developed triggering system like the current favorite offered by Godox ( and a host of other re-brandings of that same system, Flashpoint, Cheetah, Molight etc)

I sort of came at this in a similar way, it just did not involve studio strobes. At first I was happy to adapt the manual AD360s I purchased to fit my existing system. In my case, I had not got into the Canon RT yet, but was using the previous Canon generation (mostly 580EXII) and relying on Yongnuo 622 for radio wireless.

As it happens the AD360's play VERY nicely with the 622's.. so it took me some time to realize the ease of set up, and simplicity i was missing by NOT using the Godox gear.

I have since fully adopted Godox 2.4ghz as my wireless/radio system, and to incorporate the two remaining 580EXII I have I use the X1-R receivers.

Point:
Look at a strobe that uses a fully developed wireless system like the Godox (AD600 etc) and double down by adding X1 receivers to your RT flashes or, save a lot of $$ (and AA batteries ) by selling off most of your RT flashes and replacing with Lithium Ion powered V860 flashes instead. (keep a Canon or two for their indestructible reliability)

I just happen to have four YN 622's.

Almost sprung for a Phottix Indra 500 system at a local MPEX store last week. Would love to have it for a job coming up, but I'm kind of glad I waited.

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,030 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Lyndön. (3 edits in all)

Jan 29, 2017 15:36 |  #20

Looks like the new Orlit RT610 from Flashpoint/Adorama (a modified Jinbei HD610) is going to be the first to be directly compatible with the Canon RT system. From what I've read, it does NOT play nicely with YN transmitters at the moment and requires a Canon brand flash/transmitter or their own Orlit Tx.

http://flashhavoc.com …-610-ttl-strobe-released/ (external link)

GEAR LIST

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
637 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 31, 2017 07:32 |  #21

Lyndön wrote in post #18258903 (external link)
Looks like the new Orlit RT610 from Flashpoint/Adorama (a modified Jinbei HD610) is going to be the first to be directly compatible with the Canon RT system. From what I've read, it does NOT play nicely with YN transmitters at the moment and requires a Canon brand flash/transmitter or their own Orlit Tx.

http://flashhavoc.com …-610-ttl-strobe-released/ (external link)

I find that very interesting. Thank you for the information!

Anyone have any comments about that strobe in general? It seems pretty good to me, but I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject of studio strobes

OceanRipple*
823 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Jan 31, 2017 08:34 |  #22

KatManDEW wrote in post #18260417 (external link)
I find that very interesting. Thank you for the information!

Anyone have any comments about that strobe in general? It seems pretty good to me, but I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject of studio strobes

Hi, The Orlit RT 610 is still pretty new so experience will be sparse. I've used the Jinbei HD610 on which it's based - but missing the Canon 'RT' smarts built-in. The HD610 inspires confidence and its power is only slightly down on Jinbei's earlier HD600 (Rovelight RL600) - probably accounted for by the housing immediately behind the tube in each case. Unlike the Rovelight RL600, the HD610/Orlit RT610 offers true pulsing HSS rather than the Long burn Supersync option (pulsing HSS achieves slightly less captured light than supersync does).

I think the jury is still out wrt triggering. Phottix and Godox both have pretty mature control & triggering setups that are generally well reviewed. Jinbei's triggers are based around Pixel King Pro components. Also their inroads into Canon's 'RT' territory are new. I think most would categorize their control & triggering as very interesting but, as yet, unproven. My 2p.

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
637 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 31, 2017 16:58 |  #23

OceanRipple* wrote in post #18260458 (external link)
Hi, The Orlit RT 610 is still pretty new so experience will be sparse. I've used the Jinbei HD610 on which it's based - but missing the Canon 'RT' smarts built-in. The HD610 inspires confidence and its power is only slightly down on Jinbei's earlier HD600 (Rovelight RL600) - probably accounted for by the housing immediately behind the tube in each case. Unlike the Rovelight RL600, the HD610/Orlit RT610 offers true pulsing HSS rather than the Long burn Supersync option (pulsing HSS achieves slightly less captured light than supersync does).

I think the jury is still out wrt triggering. Phottix and Godox both have pretty mature control & triggering setups that are generally well reviewed. Jinbei's triggers are based around Pixel King Pro components. Also their inroads into Canon's 'RT' territory are new. I think most would categorize their control & triggering as very interesting but, as yet, unproven. My 2p.

Thank you very much for the insights!

I'm very interested in the Orlit RT 610. The triggering questions are my main question, especially since I have the Yongnou ST-E3-RT transmitter. My only other uneducated concern is the power of the modeling light. Is a 20 watt LED modeling lamp sufficient?

OceanRipple*
823 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Jan 31, 2017 18:39 |  #24

KatManDEW wrote in post #18260879 (external link)
Thank you very much for the insights!

I'm very interested in the Orlit RT 610. The triggering questions are my main question, especially since I have the Yongnou ST-E3-RT transmitter. My only other uneducated concern is the power of the modeling light. Is a 20 watt LED modeling lamp sufficient?

Correction of my post above: I don't use Canon RT Speedlites - but I just saw this:
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=7xHKkdwP3bE (external link)
. . so Jinbei triggers are perhaps more developed than I appreciated! (And their instruction manuals leave a lot to be desired.)

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
637 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jan 31, 2017 20:43 |  #25

OceanRipple* wrote in post #18260960 (external link)
Correction of my post above: I don't use Canon RT Speedlites - but I just saw this:
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=7xHKkdwP3bE (external link)
. . so Jinbei triggers are perhaps more developed than I appreciated! (And their instruction manuals leave a lot to be desired.)

Wow. Thanks!

So the Orlit RT 610 comes with a trigger that will control Canon RT Speedlights? And I assume Yongnou RT Speedlights?

Really interested...

KatManDEW
THREAD ­ STARTER
637 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 03, 2017 18:45 |  #26

I preordered one. Has anyone heard when they might be available for shipping?

SamFrench
846 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 03, 2017 20:24 |  #27

KatManDEW wrote in post #18264026 (external link)
I preordered one. Has anyone heard when they might be available for shipping?

Patience..... we are in close proximity to the Chinese New Year / Spring Festival.

sponsored links

7,966 views & 6 likes for this thread
Any studio strobes compatible with the Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.