Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 07 Dec 2016 (Wednesday) 20:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help on what to buy.

RamboGT5
117 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 07, 2016 20:28 |  #1

Hi guys,

I've been shooting for about 5 1/2 years now. I can honestly say, I've spent my earnings on some things other than camera equipment. I just have other hobbies. My main focus here is to upgrade my body and maybe some glass. Below is the gear I own.

Canon 5D & 1D MkII N

Canon 50 1.4 USM, 28-135mm 3.5-5.6 USM

Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 DC HSM

Canon Speedlite 430EX & Yongnuo 565EXII

2 110W strobes

I shoot mainly architecture for my real estate clients. I utilize the 5D for all of it, but I have been meh about it. It doesn't have live view and it's something I've grown to need. I purchased the 1D in 2014 for a swell deal and was forever changed. I find myself not satisfied with the 5D as I once was. From there I wanted to get a 1DS MkIII, if I were to get my bodies sold and I would be somewhat happy. The issue for me is that I want to be more flexible with what I shoot, while still shooting architecture. I want to shoot more portraits and get some upgraded studio lights. Some new glass would be nice too, but I wouldn't know what to buy next. Would it be a wise choice to sell the 1D mkII to get a mkIII and keep the 5D as my body for architecture? Maybe Sell them both and get a 5D mkII? Sell them both and get a 1D mkIII with extra equipment? Help lol. I should have never touched the 1D body and I feel horribly confused.

Thanks guys!

RAMSEYALEXANDER
Canon 5Dc - Canon 1D mkII N Canon 50 1.4 USM - Sigma 10-20 - Yongnuo 565EXII - Speedlite 430EX
RamseyAlexander - The Angle Emporium (external link)
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by F2Bthere.

Dec 07, 2016 21:52 |  #2

Sell all of it and get a Fuji Xpro2 or XT2. Live view all the time, lighter weight, lower cost, world class optics. And a much better set of tilt-shift options for architecture than Canon (or Nikon) can offer (see below). Better color, especially for flesh tones.

The 10-24mm from Fuji is a fantastic wide angle lens and would be a great first lens for your purposes.

Buy a tilt-shift adapter for Nikon G (this works with all Nikon lenses including those without aperture rings). With this adapter, you can use any full frame Nikon lens as a Tilt-Shift lens on any Fuji camera. There are plenty of good quality, inexpensive manual focus Nikon lenses. This will give you much more capability in interiors and architecture. Normally, a Tilt Shift lens will set you back $1000 or more. Now you can have any focal length.

http://www.adorama.com​/katsnkgfjx.html (external link)

Lighting...Godox 360 is portable, lightweight, bare-bulb capable (great for interiors), has a superior tube design and is about five times as powerful as a speedlight. Works very well with modifiers (again, tube design).

Adorama version of Godox 360 is often on sale for $350. Currently, it's at $280 (lowest I've ever seen it) for the complete package including wireless control/triggers:

http://www.adorama.com​/fplfsl360k1.html (external link)

Sticking with Canon and want TTL, too? Get this one:

http://www.adorama.com …tml#source=prod​uctOptions (external link)

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

Deardorff
110 posts
Joined Oct 2016

Dec 07, 2016 22:02 |  #3

If you like the Canon 1 series bodies the 1DsMkIII at lower ISO settings is still "the bee's knees". At higher settings is is surpassed by newer bodies.

For what you say look at the 6D with a grip. Can be had for well under $1000 if you look around. Higher ISO is excellent and you have the full frame you like and enjoy.

Without the need for high ISO I like the 1DsMkIII all the way. Night and dim interior images the 6D is worth it.

"I've been a procrastinator all my life. I keep meaning to do something about that."

DesolateMirror
364 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 08, 2016 02:00 |  #4

Another vote for 6D. They are pretty cheap used or refurbished. The main advantage you will get over your 5D is live-view (can install magic lantern for focus peaking) and much much better low light/high iso capabilities. Also some video/wifi/gps stuff. The body doesn't feel as good in my hands as the 5d/1d series. It's full frame like the 5D and has great dynamic range as well as a few more megapixels.

I'd skip the 5D2. The 6D center AF point is great, but if you need more for tracking fast moving subjects you could save up for something that offers a bit more in terms of AF points, the 5D3 is a good option, the 6D and 5D3 are both great for real estate and portraits.

RamboGT5
THREAD ­ STARTER
117 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 08, 2016 09:12 |  #5

DesolateMirror wrote in post #18206773 (external link)
Another vote for 6D. They are pretty cheap used or refurbished. The main advantage you will get over your 5D is live-view (can install magic lantern for focus peaking) and much much better low light/high iso capabilities. Also some video/wifi/gps stuff. The body doesn't feel as good in my hands as the 5d/1d series. It's full frame like the 5D and has great dynamic range as well as a few more megapixels.

I'd skip the 5D2. The 6D center AF point is great, but if you need more for tracking fast moving subjects you could save up for something that offers a bit more in terms of AF points, the 5D3 is a good option, the 6D and 5D3 are both great for real estate and portraits.

Thanks! I've been reading a bit on the 6D. I have seen some nice prices too. The button layout does look awful though. Reminds me of a huge Rebel.

F2Bthere wrote in post #18206611 (external link)
Sell all of it and get a Fuji Xpro2 or XT2. Live view all the time, lighter weight, lower cost, world class optics. And a much better set of tilt-shift options for architecture than Canon (or Nikon) can offer (see below). Better color, especially for flesh tones.

The 10-24mm from Fuji is a fantastic wide angle lens and would be a great first lens for your purposes.

Buy a tilt-shift adapter for Nikon G (this works with all Nikon lenses including those without aperture rings). With this adapter, you can use any full frame Nikon lens as a Tilt-Shift lens on any Fuji camera. There are plenty of good quality, inexpensive manual focus Nikon lenses. This will give you much more capability in interiors and architecture. Normally, a Tilt Shift lens will set you back $1000 or more. Now you can have any focal length.

http://www.adorama.com​/katsnkgfjx.html (external link)

Lighting...Godox 360 is portable, lightweight, bare-bulb capable (great for interiors), has a superior tube design and is about five times as powerful as a speedlight. Works very well with modifiers (again, tube design).

Adorama version of Godox 360 is often on sale for $350. Currently, it's at $280 (lowest I've ever seen it) for the complete package including wireless control/triggers:

http://www.adorama.com​/fplfsl360k1.html (external link)

Sticking with Canon and want TTL, too? Get this one:

http://www.adorama.com …tml#source=prod​uctOptions (external link)

Wow, those Flashpoint lights look perfect! Not bad at the price either. Can I use my current flashed with it? I'm reading on them now. I had a Fuji X100 and it had great image quality, but was pretty limited. Not to mention the user experience. I sold it earlier this year.

Deardorff wrote in post #18206621 (external link)
If you like the Canon 1 series bodies the 1DsMkIII at lower ISO settings is still "the bee's knees". At higher settings is is surpassed by newer bodies.

For what you say look at the 6D with a grip. Can be had for well under $1000 if you look around. Higher ISO is excellent and you have the full frame you like and enjoy.

Without the need for high ISO I like the 1DsMkIII all the way. Night and dim interior images the 6D is worth it.

A huge piece of me still wants the 1D body, but logically the 6D will be the best candidate. What 1D body is equivalent to the 6D?

Thanks guys.

RAMSEYALEXANDER
Canon 5Dc - Canon 1D mkII N Canon 50 1.4 USM - Sigma 10-20 - Yongnuo 565EXII - Speedlite 430EX
Flickr (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 08, 2016 09:51 |  #6

RamboGT5 wrote in post #18206558 (external link)
... I should have never touched the 1D body and I feel horribly confused.

You've said a mouthful, there! This spring, I bought a package deal containing 1D & 1DII. After deciphering the really odd menu system, I grew to love the controls. I had them about 6 weeks, and sold them to fund a 1DIII. I did one baseball game with it. What it lacked was megapixels, and auto-ISO. I had that one about 6 weeks before I sold it and bought a 1DIV. I love the feel. I love the controls. I love the results.

Full disclosure: I am getting older, and am still recovering from injuries related to a motorcycle accident. I just bought an 80D because the controls are so similar to my beloved 6D's controls. If the 80D works out for outdoor, daytime sports, I'll probably be putting the 1DIV on a shelf. No way I'd sell it for what they are going for today.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,499 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 08, 2016 10:44 |  #7

5DMKII will give you LV and more pixels to crop, which is useful for architecture. If architecture, I do recommend T&S lenses. They are fun for studio portraits as well, gives similar effects as with LF view camera standards.

IMO, 5D, not 5D MKII is better camera for portraits. I've sold my 5D because Canon stopped to support it, purchased 5D MKII and it was just not as good as 5D for portraits.
I would sell 1D MKII, keep 5D for studio portraits and get 5D MKII for architecture.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,281 posts
Gallery: 1696 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 2 years ago by MalVeauX.

Dec 08, 2016 11:19 |  #8

Heya,

You've touched a 1D body and there's stuff about it that is great. But everything the 1D body offers really is not going to do anything other than offer frustration probably for your application (architecture). The crop factor is annoying because you simply cannot get a wide lens for it without going into ultrawide territory, and if you get into TSE lenses, you will be basically looking at near telephoto focal length fields of view. The LCD on the older 1D's are bad, plain and simple. The controls the early 1D series are very inconvenient--you can learn them, but they're super inconvenient. You get a lot of weight and other stuff, such as the build quality, ancient heavy batteries, etc, in the 1D bodies--but for what purpose in architecture?

I think you'd be far better off with a 5D2 or 6D for your purposes. Standard focal lengths will have associated fields of view for your applications. 5D2 as the budget option. 6D if you want a wifi option (which is great as you can then use a phone or tablet as your LCD instead of fooling with a flip screen, so down low or up high shots become a breeze for you).

6D is where I'd go based on what you've described for use.

For portrait in a studio, it really doesn't matter what you use. A headshot in studio with a full frame and 85mm and an AP-C at 50mm will be impossible for you to figure out which was which with regards to the output. The only time it will really make a significant discernible difference is outdoors with field of view for focal length lens options and depth of field control (but only on the thinnest end of things).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,845 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 08, 2016 11:25 |  #9

wireless control via smartphone or tablet on my 6D has proven very beneficial for the architecture work I have done. So much that I would say it is a requirement for RE/arch.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

RamboGT5
THREAD ­ STARTER
117 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 10, 2016 12:44 |  #10

Thanks for all of the help guys! I really do appreciate it. I'll be trying to get my 5D sold so it can go to a 6D. I do like the features you can add one, but if I can find 5DmkII cheaper, I may go with that. Does anyone recommend Nikon at all? I noticed some of their bodies fill in the 'hole' that some Canon bodies have.

RAMSEYALEXANDER
Flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 10, 2016 18:52 |  #11

RamboGT5 wrote in post #18208856 (external link)
Thanks for all of the help guys! I really do appreciate it. I'll be trying to get my 5D sold so it can go to a 6D. I do like the features you can add one, but if I can find 5DmkII cheaper, I may go with that. Does anyone recommend Nikon at all? I noticed some of their bodies fill in the 'hole' that some Canon bodies have.

I'd say "Yeah, there are plenty of Nikon users/fans here who could give recommendations!"

The challenge of course is that this is a forum with a history of being Canon-specific. When discussions arise where Canon vs. Nikon becomes the subject, you probably won't gain a lot of "what to buy" feedback that will be objective.

Also, the fact that your whole original post was oriented around Canon gear, well, people have responded accordingly!

If you really want suggestions about Nikon gear, you'd likely be better served posting in the Nikon sub-forum here or the "General Gear Talk" sub-forum here!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

DesolateMirror
364 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 11, 2016 03:11 |  #12

RamboGT5 wrote in post #18208856 (external link)

The equivalent to Canon's 6D would probably be a Nikon D610. Have a look at D750 too. The D750 might be a bit too pricey though. Check out the reviews and specs, check out the prices of the body and lenses.

6D vs D610: http://snapsort.com …6D-vs-Nikon-D610/detailed (external link)
D610 vs D750: http://snapsort.com …10-vs-Nikon-D750/detailed (external link)

They are all great cameras and will do the job (including the 5D2). You already have some canon gear and changing brands will most likely will lose you some money in the process.

RamboGT5
THREAD ­ STARTER
117 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 03, 2017 21:18 |  #13

Thanks for the help guys! I do appreciate it all. After rigorous thinking and analyzing. I choosing to sell my 5D to upgrade to the Mk II.

RAMSEYALEXANDER
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,269 views & 1 like for this thread
Help on what to buy.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.