Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
Thread started 04 Dec 2016 (Sunday) 14:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

About to purchse talk me out of it

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,397 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Dec 05, 2016 21:35 |  #16

For versatility, the choices are either the 100-400 II which is the top dog, the Sigma you mentioned and the new Tamron. The 400/5.6 is a great lens, very light with excellent AF, but it is a prime and doesn't have IS, so it has its limitations in that regard. Buy the 10-400 II if you can afford it, otherwise the other two are pretty good alternatives.

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

sponsored links
Mudhog79
THREAD ­ STARTER
232 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 08, 2016 17:07 |  #17

Scrumhalf wrote in post #18204662 (external link)
For versatility, the choices are either the 100-400 II which is the top dog, the Sigma you mentioned and the new Tamron. The 400/5.6 is a great lens, very light with excellent AF, but it is a prime and doesn't have IS, so it has its limitations in that regard. Buy the 10-400 II if you can afford it, otherwise the other two are pretty good alternatives.

I think where I am is the sigma 150 to 600 or the prime Canon 400 f5.6. I just can't decide, still reading everything I can.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EFS 55-250mm IS, EF 50mm f/1.4, EFS 17-55 mm f/2.8 IS, 430 EXII Speedlite, Fiesol 3441T, Photo Clam PC-40NS
FramedMoments (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,060 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 08, 2016 17:37 as a reply to  @ Mudhog79's post |  #18

See if you can get out and try them. Many photographers are happy to discuss their gear and, maybe, let you try it out. Others are not so tread softly - personally I am more than happy to let people play.
I lean towards the 400 F5.6 L - but that is me, not you! I am more concerned about AF and don't like IS, however if reach is your goal than the 150-600 may be the better option.

It's all swings and roundabouts!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Grizz1
Goldmember
1,705 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 08, 2016 22:23 as a reply to  @ johnf3f's post |  #19

That's a good suggestion from John, go try them. For me I have a 1 1/2 hour drive to the nearest camera store that will have the 150-600 and a Canon 400 but it would be worth my time. The store I go to will let me attach a lens and take a few shots just outside their door from the sidewalk, at least a person can compare the two and get a feel for the lens. Not ideal conditions maybe but there will be people, passing cars, perhaps a few birds or planes in the sky.

Mudhog79, It sounds like you are real close to having a new lens on your camera.:-)

Steve
2 Canon 60D's, 70D 18-135,-55-250, Sigma 150-500 OS,Sigma 50mm 1.4 ,Sigma 120-300 Sport,Sigma 10-20. 580EXII

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,554 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by digital paradise.

Dec 08, 2016 22:39 |  #20

Grizz1 wrote in post #18207652 (external link)
That's a good suggestion from John, go try them. For me I have a 1 1/2 hour drive to the nearest camera store that will have the 150-600 and a Canon 400 but it would be worth my time. The store I go to will let me attach a lens and take a few shots just outside their door from the sidewalk, at least a person can compare the two and get a feel for the lens. Not ideal conditions maybe but there will be people, passing cars, perhaps a few birds or planes in the sky.

Mudhog79, It sounds like you are real close to having a new lens on your camera.:-)

I'm the same. I can go to my local mom and pop store and try any gear outside but there are usually no birds around. I try to shoot moving vehicles but I'm so self conscious doing that. I only try to shoot when someones back is turned but even then.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,709 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 08, 2016 22:41 |  #21

Mudhog79 wrote in post #18203173 (external link)
... Now tell my why i shouldnt buy this lens, i am looking to stay around $1000.00 +/- $200.

Because it is often on sale around Christmas for around $800.00

Update after reading some of the posts below.

I think I am going to hold off and look at the Canon 400mm f5.6 L a little more before deciding.
I may even rent one or both of these to see how I like them.

The 400mm prime is an amazing lens and currently used at a fantastic price. It however has a number of drawbacks vs the other lens, no IS, no 600mm no 150mm etc.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

filam
476 posts
Gallery: 272 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by filam. (2 edits in all)

Dec 09, 2016 15:52 |  #22

Sigma 150-600 C is a winner.
With wildlife the environment its so varied and you'll be shooting in nice light one minute then could be under cover in the woods in the next. close in or faraway.
With the Canon 5.6l and a crop body your looking at 1/640 sec or more, below that keeper rate will drop unless you us a support. It''s good for Bif, I don't see hardly any at the hides and reserves most use the Sigma or Tamron 150-600mm besides f5.6 still isn't that fast. You have more features to use and is a lot cheaper and in the field the zooms are more flexible with the ever changing situations.
Here's a Robin I recently took in my garden light was poor and handheld 600mm f6.3 1/40 sec dont think the Canon could do that.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Canon 1dx 7Dmk2
Canon 600mm f4L IS USM - Canon 50mm f1.8II
Canon 580 EXII
Gitzo GT5532S Tripod- Wimberly WH-200 mkII
flickr (external link)

Sgt.
914 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 10, 2016 10:26 |  #23

I have the 400 5.6, my only complaint is the 12 ft MFD.

Iain
7D MKII
Another minion in the Pondrader fan club

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,060 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 10, 2016 17:33 as a reply to  @ Sgt.'s post |  #24

This can be reduced a bit with extension tubes, which are dirt cheap, not ideal but a workaround.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Mudhog79
THREAD ­ STARTER
232 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 11, 2016 14:26 |  #25

filam wrote in post #18208190 (external link)
Sigma 150-600 C is a winner.
With wildlife the environment its so varied and you'll be shooting in nice light one minute then could be under cover in the woods in the next. close in or faraway.
With the Canon 5.6l and a crop body your looking at 1/640 sec or more, below that keeper rate will drop unless you us a support. It''s good for Bif, I don't see hardly any at the hides and reserves most use the Sigma or Tamron 150-600mm besides f5.6 still isn't that fast. You have more features to use and is a lot cheaper and in the field the zooms are more flexible with the ever changing situations.
Here's a Robin I recently took in my garden light was poor and handheld 600mm f6.3 1/40 sec dont think the Canon could do that.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by filam in
./showthread.php?p=182​08190&i=i124981051
forum: Wildlife Talk

Great photo and thanks for the reply with photo. Do you feel it is pretty heavy to carry around? I see a good bit of people reporting shooting this handheld i just have no comparison for a lens in the 5 to 6 lb range. Do you feel the AF works well on locking on with this lens?

Thanks again.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EFS 55-250mm IS, EF 50mm f/1.4, EFS 17-55 mm f/2.8 IS, 430 EXII Speedlite, Fiesol 3441T, Photo Clam PC-40NS

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,050 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 11, 2016 14:40 as a reply to  @ Mudhog79's post |  #26

it is just a bit over 4lbs...handholding is obviously person dependent...but i'd think that weight is definitely doable...i'd grab a 2-liter bottle of water/soda...hold it out like a lens, and you're pretty close to the same weight

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

filam
476 posts
Gallery: 272 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 11, 2016 14:50 |  #27

Mudhog79 wrote in post #18209899 (external link)
Great photo and thanks for the reply with photo. Do you feel it is pretty heavy to carry around? I see a good bit of people reporting shooting this handheld i just have no comparison for a lens in the 5 to 6 lb range. Do you feel the AF works well on locking on with this lens?

Thanks again.

I'm a Carpenter so fairly strong, I've carried it about with no probs, the longest being 10 miles. Shooting handheld does require technique it is long and heavy, but you so get used to it. I try to use it in the field with a tripod or mono pod.
AF is good as expected in good light and in low light can hunt a bit. It does when trying to focus on a BIF be a bit slow. Close in can snap into focus quick.
Have a look at my Gallery for some images take with this lens in various situations.

Canon 1dx 7Dmk2
Canon 600mm f4L IS USM - Canon 50mm f1.8II
Canon 580 EXII
Gitzo GT5532S Tripod- Wimberly WH-200 mkII
flickr (external link)

Mudhog79
THREAD ­ STARTER
232 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by Mudhog79. (2 edits in all)

Dec 14, 2016 21:34 |  #28

An update for today, i updated the original post but have added here as well.

Update 12/14/16
I think i have now narrowed down my selection. I dont want to be stuck at 400mm so i have decided to look more at the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Lens and the Sigma 150mm - 600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM "Contemporary" Lens. They both have IS, the Canon is a little faster but the Sigma have a little more reach. Neither is weather proof. I hear the Canon referred to as a dust pump but from what i can tell from reading this is not really an issue. I know there is a new Canon MKII but it is not in my price range. he Sigma is heavier. Any reason to choose one over the other other than cost as it looks like i can get the Sigma for a better deal.

Has anyone seen recently these lenses for a good price? I have seen the Canon for $1299 and the Sigma for $989 including the docking station.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,709 posts
Gallery: 160 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 14, 2016 23:27 |  #29

Let me correct you on some of your statement,

The SIGMA has a LOT more reach!

The "dust pump" effect will happen to any zoom that extends it;s length, via push pull or twist, as the internal volume obviously increases as it extends. People's belif that push pull did something magic to make it worse is inaccurate.

I owned the 100-400mm for over a decade, it was my go to wildlife zoom, and the best for what it did the whole time I owned it.

Now I own the MkII AND the SIGMA C.
The SIGMA Beats the old version of the 100-400mm in every way with two exceptipons;

- Weight
- Speed of zooming.

But NOTHING beats the old 100-400mm in the latter regard, not even the new MkII, due it's magnificently instantaneous push pull zoom.

For the same price, I would go with the much more "contemporary" lens design, the SIGMA with better IS, better range,. better IQ, and in many ways better AF.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,050 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 14, 2016 23:28 as a reply to  @ Mudhog79's post |  #30

canon for $1299 new? i'd buy it used...it should be like under $800 used...that might even be high...the value of it really went down with all the newer longer lenses...

as far as the sigma being slower...it's f5.6 up to 387mm...so it's really just slower in that tiny bit at the end...but you gain the longer length...there's also the tamron lenses...the two 150-600mm's they offer are both f5.6 up to 427mm...so you're not giving up speed...

people will say the lenses will not be the best for BIF, but i'm sure with some practice you could still probably pull off some shots...maybe not every shot in accession, but it's still possible

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

5,700 views & 15 likes for this thread
About to purchse talk me out of it
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.