Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Dec 2016 (Monday) 01:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New version of Affinity Photo ready to take on Photoshop?

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 12, 2016 01:33 |  #1

Affinity ready for Prime Time...

Affinity recently released version 1.5 and it finally looks like it might be a significant competitor for Photoshop. They have added a great Macro feature (like actions in PS).

What's to like:

Macro feature looks to be easier to use, easier to adapt and modify and easier to create alternatives which can be changed by the user during execution.

Equations which look powerful and are unavailable in PS.

Built in features which have better interface. Frequency Separation, tonal mapping, etc.

Better integrated RAW processing. Which leads to...

What not to like:

RAW processing is slow. Way too slow. (Capture One is still the King of the Hill for RAW processing in so many ways--speed, rendering, uniquely powerful feature set).

TIFF support for layers doesn't include layers generated in PS.

Still, it shows much promise. I haven't used it enough yet, but hope to play more.

What do you think? Have you tried it?

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

sponsored links
kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by kjonnnn.

Dec 12, 2016 01:50 |  #2

Layers?
Blends?
the list goes on

Photoshop does so much more than just Photographs. Maybe a better comparison would be against Lightroom for pure photographer-types. For those of us in design that use the big three, Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator, I dont think Adobe has to worry.

F2Bthere
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 12, 2016 01:56 |  #3

kjonnnn wrote in post #18210432 (external link)
Layers?
Blends?
the list goes on

Photoshop does so much more than just Photographs, I dont think theyll be concerned. Maybe a better comparison would be against lightroom.

What do you mean? Affinity has layers and blend modes. In fact, they allow easier comparison of blend modes.

Am I missing something?

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

russbecker
232 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 12, 2016 06:57 as a reply to  @ F2Bthere's post |  #4

I have adopted both Affinity Photo as a replacement for what I do with Adobe Photoshop (actually used Elements) and Designer as a replacement for Illustrator. So far I like everything I have seen; I started converting over to using Affinity Photo about halfway through the beta program and purchased it at the intro price of $40; it is easily worth double that.

Does it do EVERYTHING that Adobe Photoshop CC does? Of course not. Does Affinity Photo do most (as in say 95%) of what Photoshop does for photographers. IMO yes, and this includes actions/macros. Affinity Photo is certainly far ahead of Photoshop Elements (and doesn't include the fractionally baked organizer). Further, if you are familiar with using Elements/Photoshop, Affinity Photo uses much of the same menu structure and tool organization so there is not an enormous re-orientation of your workflow (no surprise here, they are trying to lure Photoshop users).

The Affinity products do not have to go out and find their mothership every time you start them; another plus.

I don't have any problem integrating Photo with my RAW processor (PhotoNinja 1.3.4) and IMatch (which I now use for DAM purposes).

7D2 | 7D | 80D | 40D | 100-400 f/4-5.6 IIL | 300 f/4 L | 70-200 f/2.8 IIL | 70-200 f/4L | 135 f/2 L | 85 f/1.8 | 100 f/2 | 60 f/2.8 macro | nifty-fifty | 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | Tamron 150-600 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Sigma 30 f/1.4 | Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 | Sigma 120-400

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,116 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 12, 2016 09:15 |  #5

russbecker wrote in post #18210536 (external link)
The Affinity products do not have to go out and find their mothership every time you start them; another plus.

You mean you purchase the software, own it, install it and use it? My! What a unique philosophy for software! LOL

Sarcasm aside, thanks for the post. I guess I need to get out more. Never knew about Affinity until this post. Took a look. Looks powerful, looks good, and recently ported for Windows. And the current price is $40. I recently succumbed to an Amazon special and purchased CC. But when it expires, Affinity will be a serious consideration. Heck, at $40 I may just buy and fart around with it now so when that day comes, I'm already up to speed. Are ya' listening Adobe? Software that I buy and own! You should consider that unique approach !!

Website (external link) |

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,747 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 12, 2016 09:26 |  #6

If you participate in testing the beta versions of Affinity Photo or Designer, or join the forum and participate there, you will find that the developers are listening and interacting with users in a way Adobe never will. If you offer feedback they respond, if you find bugs they get on them, if you request new features they will consider them and let you know how your request fits into the roadmap for the product.

It is still in its nascent stages and yet it offers users an application that is useful for more than a hobbyist messing around with a JPEG. Of course it is not Photoshop, but in a way that is one of its strengths. It has been designed and executed for modern machines, with modern code and interface elements. The implementation of new features is pretty amazing when you see how quickly it occurs and develops into a useable tool that is dependable and bug-free.

The trial is free. The applications cost $40. If you buy the retail version, you can download the beta for free and help make the next round of the application even better.

Give it a shot, you have nothing to lose.

Let me also note that the in-house video tutorials are second to none in their breadth, depth and usefulness. The online manual is equally well done.

kirk

Kirk
---

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,116 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by Picture North Carolina.

Dec 12, 2016 09:36 |  #7

kirkt wrote in post #18210656 (external link)
It has been designed and executed for modern machines, with modern code and interface elements.

After discovering this thread, I read a number of reviews. This is the one thing that was universally commented on - that Affinity was built from the ground up with new machines and technology in mind.

Questions: I can petition support, but might get a faster answer here. What about 3rd party plugin apps? Does stuff like Topaz, Nik, On1, Filter Forge, etc. plug into the Affinity workflow without the necessity of using any of them in the standalone mode?

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,066 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 12, 2016 10:02 |  #8

F2Bthere wrote in post #18210424 (external link)
Equations which look powerful and are unavailable in PS.

What do you mean by "equations"?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,747 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 12, 2016 10:24 |  #9

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18210666 (external link)
After discovering this thread, I read a number of reviews. This is the one thing that was universally commented on - that Affinity was built from the ground up with new machines and technology in mind.

Questions: I can petition support, but might get a faster answer here. What about 3rd party plugin apps? Does stuff like Topaz, Nik, On1, Filter Forge, etc. plug into the Affinity workflow without the necessity of using any of them in the standalone mode?

There is support for third-party photoshop-like plug-ins, but the compatibility for those plug-ins varies - you will find extensive discussions of third-party plug-in support on the forum. For the most popular plug-ins, you will find that they work or they don't, with many people requesting support for the plug-ins that currently do not work.

Most of the time, the plug-ins are already installed into a specific location on your machine, and there may also be support files for that plug-in that are installed in a separate location. In the Affinity Photo Preferences dialog, the user can specify the location for the plug-in as well as global approval for AP to search the machine for support files (this is a Mac thing, because of sandboxing, etc.). The windows experience is probable similar but may not be identical - YMMV, as I do not use windows.

kirk

Kirk
---

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,747 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 12, 2016 10:29 |  #10

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18210693 (external link)

What do you mean by "equations"?

Equations are used in a couple of places in AP. There is a "Distort" filter in which the user can apply a specific distortion via equations for the X and Y distortion.

Also, in the "Apply Image" filter, the user can specify how the R, G and B (or Lab or CMYK) channels of the destination for the apply image operation get made based on operations carried out on the source image or channel.

Take a look at the tutorial videos on Equations:

https://vimeo.com/1925​98818 (external link)

and Apply Image:

https://vimeo.com/1925​98897 (external link)

for example.

kirk

Kirk
---

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,116 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 12, 2016 11:12 |  #11

Most helpful, Kirk. Thank you.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,747 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by kirkt. (2 edits in all)

Dec 12, 2016 12:51 |  #12

It is worthwhile to join the forum - here is the complete list of all in-house Affinity Photo tutorials:

https://affinity.serif​.com …ty-photo-video-tutorials/ (external link)

grab a cup of coffee or six and take a look at them. They strike a nice balance between bite-sized videos that give you a pretty complete run down of the specific topic.

Enjoy!

kirk

also note that there is a similar set for Affinity Designer, which is Affinity's vector design tool (like Illustrator).

Kirk
---

gewb
691 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 12, 2016 13:04 |  #13

kirkt wrote in post #18210656 (external link)
If you participate in testing the beta versions of Affinity Photo or Designer, or join the forum and participate there, you will find that the developers are listening and interacting with users in a way Adobe never will.

kirk

I joined the Affinity beta test a while back and what you stated is spot on.

I also was an Adobe beta tester for several products for more than 10 years. Some Adobe dev teams are better than others but I give them an over all rating of "5" out of 10 but Affinity gets an "8" out of 10.

Regards,
GEWB

60D / Pro1 / A85

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,747 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by kirkt. (2 edits in all)

Dec 12, 2016 13:16 |  #14

gewb wrote in post #18210981 (external link)
I joined the Affinity beta test a while back and what you stated is spot on.

I also was an Adobe beta tester for several products for more than 10 years. Some Adobe dev teams are better than others but I give them an over all rating of "5" out of 10 but Affinity gets an "8" out of 10.

Regards,
GEWB

Do not get me wrong - I am a longtime PS user and I still use PS (CC 2017). That does not mean there isn't room for a different application.

Thank you for your insight!

kirk

Kirk
---

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,116 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 12, 2016 13:21 |  #15

Good info, all. And again, thanks for the info and post. At only $40 for a pop, I think I'm not only gonna' purchase the software, but actively support it.

What with Adobe's software rental philosophy, I think they have become a lumbering giant oil tanker at sea, slow to turn around. They need a good kick in the shins.

What with ON1's RAW under development, and Affinity's potential Photoshop competition, I think the competition will be beneficial to all.

sponsored links

19,054 views & 30 likes for this thread
New version of Affinity Photo ready to take on Photoshop?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.