Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Dec 2016 (Monday) 05:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Negative software?

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,054 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 2 years ago by urbanfreestyle.

Dec 12, 2016 05:45 |  #1

Hi all,

So i have recently started back into film photography and have taken photos of my negatives into DNG.
Obviously these are orange and i know i CAN use lightroom to edit them but from what i have read it can be a long winded method. I was wondering if there was any software people could recommend for turning a negative to a standard positive?

The shots are colour by the way and no i don't want to buy a special photo scanner.
I am running OSX on my mac mini but can run any windows VM if need be.

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

sponsored links
Benitoite
Goldmember
4,752 posts
Gallery: 438 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2015

Dec 12, 2016 06:40 |  #2

Do you mean they are orange before or after inverting the colors?

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,054 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 12, 2016 06:46 as a reply to  @ Benitoite's post |  #3

before, like the actual physical negs and images taken, I know i can invert and then tweak a lot but trying to make it as quick and painless as possible.

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

birderman
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 12, 2016 11:03 |  #4

anything on this site helpful https://www.iamthejeff​.com …-c-41-negative-film-scans (external link)

Birderman
London, UK
my photos on Flickr (external link)
My Website (external link) or my Facebook - KishWphotos (external link)

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,054 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 13, 2016 03:13 |  #5

Thanks for that, will try the action when i get home, was hoping there was something similar to that but for lightroom so i didnt have to run extra. For some reason photoshop is a scary thing for me! lol

Facebook (external link)

ashleykaryl
204 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 13, 2016 06:45 as a reply to  @ urbanfreestyle's post |  #6

To answer your specific question I am not aware of any software that does precisely what you want and this is not something I have tried myself.

I have a few old family images taken from colour negative that have been turned into digital files using a film scanner and I think this may be the only practical option. The colour comes out looking fairly normal and can then be adjusted in Photoshop, however you do need a film scanner and colour negative is notoriously tricky. The files themselves are Tiff rather than DNG.

Unfortunately scanner profiling does not really work with negatives due to the orange mask that varies considerably with changes in exposure and cannot reliably match a target. Scanning colour negative is rather like being colour blind and forced to play twister with a slipped disc.

X-Rite Coloratti Pro, Phase One Ambassador
Author of Colour Management Pro
https://colourmanageme​ntpro.com (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,783 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 13, 2016 10:11 |  #7

The typical workflow for film negs is to produce a linear scan and then process the file into a positive for printing/web. There are specific applications that are designed around this workflow and automatically remove the film base, etc. and invert the color using a profile specific to the film type.

If you choose not to scan your negs, then you are essentially dealing with a raw file that will be converted to a gamma-encoded file - I suppose there are workflows that would use regular raw processing tools to deal with the inversion, but you may not preserve the actual film color characteristics in doing so. A simple google search returns many links on how to do this in Lightroom or Photoshop.

Take a look at this collection of information related to a product called ColorNeg. http://www.c-f-systems.com/ColorNegat​iveFAQ.html (external link)

Hopefully the information contained on the site might help you adopt a workflow that works best for you.

kirk

Kirk
---

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,054 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 13, 2016 10:42 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #8

Well i'm actually using the lr mobile app on my phone and lomo camera scanner hardware

Facebook (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 13, 2016 12:03 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

Silverfast has some, ahem, profiles, and is able to deal with the orange mask.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

klevin
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 13, 2016 17:49 |  #10

I used colorneg a few years back and it worked well, but recognize it's not easy. There's also software like vuescan that operates while scanning, but you'll always need further adjustment.

That said, such a primitive scanning setup as you're using is guaranteed to give sub optimal results. Phones and scanners don't have the sensor linearity you need for good results. This is because color neg film, in addition to the orange mask, is a low contrast medium. So ideally you need a scanner with good bit depth so you can increase the contrast without artifacts such as banding.

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,054 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 14, 2016 03:30 as a reply to  @ klevin's post |  #11

Thanks for the replies all,

I think i will try some of the PS actions and i have a trial of colour neg.
in all honesty my pure aim is to get a better scan than the shop i used before (which were horriffic)
If i get reasonable even viewable results i will look into buying a dedicated scanner.

Facebook (external link)

yb98
Goldmember
2,586 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Dec 21, 2016 06:56 |  #12

http://digitol.free.fr​/forum/viewtopic.php?f​=2&t=281 (external link)
but i's for DPP...

Best DPP Threads
DPP++ Video Channel (external link)
New Version DPP++ 11.3 released (external link)

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,054 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 21, 2016 07:22 |  #13

Thanks, Sadly i no longer use Canon, I use a sony mirrorless and my iphone raw.

Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

2,461 views & 1 like for this thread
Negative software?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.