Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 25 Oct 2016 (Tuesday) 07:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Are weddings a tough gig?

ksbal
Goldmember
2,743 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Nov 17, 2016 16:32 as a reply to  @ post 18187355 |  #31

True that! although I find it depends on the conditions...
The wedding I did in 97 degree heat with 100+ heat index... and I didnt' drink enough water till I got some warning signs.. that took a week to recover. The last one I shot second for.. piece of cake, but really nice weather and not all day.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

sponsored links
LucasCK
352 posts
Joined May 2010

Nov 17, 2016 17:28 as a reply to  @ ksbal's post |  #32

I've learnt to take a couple of bottles of water and some muesli bars in the car with me. I find in Sydney the wedding photographer is always the last one to eat at the reception

5d4, 2x6d, 5d2, 24-70L II, Sigma 35A 1.4, Canon 70-200 2.8L II, 135 2.0L, 430ex2, 600ex-rt
http://www.lucaskrausp​hotography.com (external link)
http://www.lucaskrausp​hotography.com …ane-wedding-photographer/ (external link)

banquetbear
Goldmember
1,587 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Nov 26, 2016 18:26 |  #33

LucasCK wrote in post #18187355 (external link)
I am finding wedding photography hard physically now. If I do two big weddings over the weekend it will take me a few days to recover. Sometimes I can barely get out of bed on Monday morning :oops:

...the last wedding I shot my assistant had to take over to finish the shoot, and I ended up in hospital with pneumonia and blood clots. :(

And yes, that was my very last wedding. Unlikely to do any more in the future.

www.bigmark.co.nzexternal link

mdvaden
Goldmember
2,831 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by mdvaden.

Dec 13, 2016 22:57 |  #34

I've only photographed at 3 weddings. I feel comfortable enough to continue.

So far, I've done scores of portraits. My first impression of weddings, is it can feel more like "work" but I don't mind work. But it seems to lack flexibility and ability to pause as needed like engagements or senior shots. Unless someone schedules back to back too tightly at the latter.

The weddings seem like a plane flight. Once the flight takes off, it's pretty much on route and things are a bit constrained until the destination. There seems little time for eating, etc..

As I move into this more, I'm going keep in within my comfort zone by not accepting weddings that are tougher than I care to deal with. Mostly regarding length of event or travel time.

As with my past arborist and landscape design business, I learned I don't have to say "yes" to everyone, and can still be polite.

vadenphotography.com (external link) . . . and . . . Coast Redwoods Main Page (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,276 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (3 edits in all)

Dec 14, 2016 00:08 |  #35

LucasCK wrote in post #18187355 (external link)
I am finding wedding photography hard physically now. If I do two big weddings over the weekend it will take me a few days to recover. Sometimes I can barely get out of bed on Monday morning :oops:

In the days of film, having to lift 5-10 lbs. (camera, lens, flash) to your eye more than 300 times (to deliver 300 shots) during the course of a day meant we were lifting and lowering 1.5 tons over the course of 8-10 hours (and that is assuming that we never bring the camera to our eye without taking at least one shot...bad assumption).

In these days of digital, with client expectations of 1000-2000 (or even more) photos, even if you have another photographer to help do it, it is still lifting and lowering 3 tons over the course of 8-10 hours.

Not to mention, the squat and rise exercise for the thighs and butt due to your own weight, when shooting low level shots. And the carrying all the gear from the car to the venue and back.
Anyone is well justified in feeling tired, it is simply that the young are more resilient and masochistic for the money it brings!  :p

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

mcap1972
151 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 14, 2016 08:43 |  #36

They are tough as they come but it gets a little easier with experience.

Avangard Photography (external link)

level5photog
171 posts
Joined Nov 2015

Jan 01, 2017 02:19 |  #37

I think it is a tough gig if you are a full time wedding photographer.

The wedding photography market now is so competitive with so many people want to enter the market for various reasons (college students who can't find job, stay at home mom/dad, weekend warrior, people leaving entry job, it's fun, etc). It's hard to compete against some of these people based on price, skill, or even marketing. Part timer and weekend warrior will have a lower cost of business to charge a more competitive price. People enjoy doing wedding photography and earning modest amount to pay for their camera gears. Youtube, and alot of great photography educations content out there make it really easy to learn lighting, editing and posing. Full timer have to compete with these part timers who are competent and talented photographers that are undercharging them. That's two-sided attacks. Social media also make it easy to market photography.

As for me, I do wedding photography as a side job and enjoy it very much. Doing this on side allow me to say No to clients who are difficult, demanding, and cheap. I charge a decent amount to make it worthwhile and have an assistant to help with carrying lighting gears, help me get the shots, etc. I can't imagine doing this when I get older or when everyone underbid each other to get the gig.

jcolman
Goldmember
2,615 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 01, 2017 11:45 |  #38

Shooting weddings is a simple receipe.

Take one part photojournalism, one part fashion photographer and one part commercial photographer. Mix in a dash of physcology, a smidgen of event planner and a touch of business acumen. Mix all together in rapid fashion with a hundred people watching and produce excellent results. Every. Time. With. No. Screw ups.

Then do it all over agin the following day.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 02, 2017 11:17 |  #39

Regardless as to the dynamic nature of weddings I would sum things up this way... if a photographer regularly finds themselves thinking weddings are a tough gig... they aren't cut out for doing them.

Peter

dasmith232
335 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 02, 2017 11:35 |  #40

George Zip wrote in post #18166319 (external link)
...Not taking anything away at all, but the weddings I have been to are fairly predictable when certain things happen at certain times...

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #18166337 (external link)
You could not have got this more wrong. Stuff goes wrong ALL THE TIME. I haven't been to one where something has't gone to plan...

Is it just me, or are these two statements actually saying the same thing? :) If you expect a glitch to happen, then you're predicting things pretty well.

I've done a couple weddings where things were pretty darn smooth, except for tiny glitches and no one freaked. And I've been in the awkward witness role of the bride and bride's mother in a shouting match with tears and all 1/2 before the ceremony started. Your people skills and how you react to things are huge.

Dave
Mostly using 5D3 with lots of different lenses and flash, but also still using a large format 4x5 film camera.

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 02, 2017 18:09 as a reply to  @ dasmith232's post |  #41

If you mean in the sense that the only predictable thing about weddings is that they are entirely unpredictable... kind of. The only commonality being that you have to be able to handle anything that is thrown at you.

Peter

jcolman
Goldmember
2,615 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 02, 2017 22:14 |  #42

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #18231119 (external link)
If you mean in the sense that the only predictable thing about weddings is that they are entirely unpredictable... kind of. The only commonality being that you have to be able to handle anything that is thrown at you.

this sums it all up perfectly.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

evolyllaphotography
63 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2016

Jan 05, 2017 20:04 |  #43

Everything said about the randomness and messiness of a wedding day is true. I believe, however, that taking good pictures is not the easiest part because these pictures are taken under those circumstances. These good pictures also rely on how well we communicate and interact with and sometimes give directions to the bride and groom and bridal party and parents and guests alike. Good pictures is also having an unique touch to the images in this competitive and saturated industry while meeting expectations. Good pictures is consistency. All said, wedding photography is fun and fulfilling!

Toronto Wedding Photographer | Evolylla Photography (external link)
follow me on Instagram (external link); follow me on Facebook (external link); Canon shooter

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,137 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 05, 2017 20:21 |  #44

Watch a few seasons of Bridezilla's or Say yes to the dress. I always thought they should follow with Say no to the ho. Much like teaching, dealing with children is the easy part. Adults are nuts.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

sponsored links

8,047 views & 37 likes for this thread
Are weddings a tough gig?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.