Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show us your setup and the final result!

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 17, 2016 10:39 as a reply to  @ post 18215709 |  #10351
bannedPermanent ban

Cool. The few food photography I've done has been real food and no stylists (low budget jobs). Sometimes I've gotten to eat the food, sometimes nay.

I wonder how many tricks one is allowed to use nowadays, what with the regulating bodies demanding that the real product be portrayed lest it be deceiving the consumer and all.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sponsored links
SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,451 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Dec 17, 2016 10:48 |  #10352

OKAY, it's time to eat something! I'll be back. :-P

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 17, 2016 10:48 |  #10353

Alveric wrote in post #18215715 (external link)
Cool. The few food photography I've done has been real food and no stylists (low budget jobs). Sometimes I've gotten to eat the food, sometimes nay.

I wonder how many tricks one is allowed to use nowadays, what with the regulating bodies demanding that the real product be portrayed lest it be deceiving the consumer and all.

The FTC gets involved in the US. They approve retail package designs and is the reason that the catch-all phrase 'serving suggestion' is on most packaging. That phrase covers a lot of ground. I've had to certify the photography on lots of packages that the photos are representative of the product and food stylists have had to verify that the food was cooked in accordance with package instructions...(even if it's simply opening an oven door insert food, take out and put on the set)...but those were internal documents for the manufacturers to cover their butts. Generally speaking for packaging work, the food that's depicted on the front is what's inside (even if the food in the photo has been 'massaged' to look it's best). For advertising/pop/editor​ial, it's still the wild west with few rules.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

windpig
Chopped liver
14,886 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 17, 2016 11:22 |  #10354

Foodguy wrote in post #18215709 (external link)
Not to minimize the tricks but the heavy handed use of non-edible additives was more so in the 'old days' when the goal was to make food look perfect. The trend now is more toward 'real' and the food stylists tend to be a little more natural in the handling using less weird stuff. Still use Armorall on lobsters to help them keep their shine though :p

Front and back...all real, just built for photography. The drip on there cheese is vegetable oil for a little added shine.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Foodguy in
./showthread.php?p=182​15709&i=i185720477
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

My personal favorite though is ice cream...we usually get 2-3 gallons for each scoop so there's always lots left over. :-)

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Foodguy in
./showthread.php?p=182​15709&i=i138609990
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

The ice cream image is awesome. The burger image lighting is to contrasty for me, I'd have a lighter background an some fill. Looks yummy though.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

bjbsav
Goldmember
1,271 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 17, 2016 17:40 as a reply to  @ post 18215135 |  #10355

The more images I see from the 135L the more I want one.

My name is Ben from Savannah, GA
Canon cameras and glass
Facebook - Brengman Photography (external link) My Website (external link)

stlprk
122 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2014

Dec 17, 2016 19:24 as a reply to  @ post 18215135 |  #10356

nice shot...

---
Kumar
Canon 5D Mark III, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, Canon 135mm f2.0 L, Sigma 105mm f1.4.

dasmith232
335 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 17, 2016 22:08 |  #10357

I was thinking about posting in the "super macro and guess" thread, but I don't know if I can keep pace with y'all and the questions... Maybe later. So instead, I also found this "setup and behind the scenes" thread intriguing...

Here's the picture:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Dave
Mostly using 5D3 with lots of different lenses and flash, but also still using a large format 4x5 film camera.

dasmith232
335 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 17, 2016 22:11 |  #10358

I've repurposed an old enlarger lens with a bellows unit. I've been using it for both macro as well as tilt-shift photography with longer focal length lenses. The working distance is really nice to work with. In this setup, it's a Nikon PB-4 bellows with a 135mm Nikkor enlarger lens attached. The aperture (set manually on the lens) is f/11.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Dave
Mostly using 5D3 with lots of different lenses and flash, but also still using a large format 4x5 film camera.

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 17, 2016 22:23 |  #10359

Foodguy wrote in post #18215726 (external link)
The FTC gets involved in the US. They approve retail package designs and is the reason that the catch-all phrase 'serving suggestion' is on most packaging. That phrase covers a lot of ground. I've had to certify the photography on lots of packages that the photos are representative of the product and food stylists have had to verify that the food was cooked in accordance with package instructions...(even if it's simply opening an oven door insert food, take out and put on the set)...but those were internal documents for the manufacturers to cover their butts. Generally speaking for packaging work, the food that's depicted on the front is what's inside (even if the food in the photo has been 'massaged' to look it's best). For advertising/pop/editor​ial, it's still the wild west with few rules.

I remember an art director coming into the studio in great distress because the FTC had made a big deal with a soup manufacturer because they were using marbles in the broth to make the veggies, etc. stand up out in the pictures.
The company began using pictures of all the ingredients on a chopping block for its packaging art.

Even at the time, I appreciated the desire to ensure that the pictures were reasonably accurate depictions of the product.

As for ice cream, it was usually mashed potatoes so the hot lights wouldn't turn it into a blob.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,086 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 18, 2016 20:34 |  #10360

My bare bones kit. RB-90 ricebowl and a Flashpoint Zoom Li-on R2 with the Sigma 85 Art.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

JVthePT
Goldmember
1,468 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined May 2012

Dec 19, 2016 11:35 as a reply to  @ Talley's post |  #10361

Yikes, what's going on with her forehead? Is it something done in post or is it a bruise?

6D & 7D mark II - Canon 16-35 f/4 IS L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8 L, Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II L, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS II, Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 100 f/2.8 USM macro, Canon EF 1.4x III
flickr (external link)

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
1,098 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Joined Dec 2015

Dec 19, 2016 11:43 as a reply to  @ JVthePT's post |  #10362

Looks like post. Otherwise she would not pose or smile!

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,622 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 19, 2016 13:39 |  #10363

JVthePT wrote in post #18217629 (external link)
Yikes, what's going on with her forehead? Is it something done in post or is it a bruise?

This is what happens if you set a Canon EF 24 f/1.4L II to 85mm focal length... ;-)a

K ­ Soze
Goldmember
1,782 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 19, 2016 18:39 |  #10364

I'm stuck in Chicago at my 83yo Mom's house because she needed some unexpected surgery. It is very cold and I have been very board. So i raided the fridge and added a few things from the local produce market.

I like it well enough. I might adjust black level when I get back home in a few days, hard to tell on my laptop.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

I try to make art by pushing buttons

Pippan
Goldmember
1,770 posts
Gallery: 144 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 19, 2016 19:00 as a reply to  @ K Soze's post |  #10365

Not often you see a starfruit in a still life. :)

— Please feel free to offer your thoughts on how I might improve my images —

sponsored links

5,843,794 views & 9,793 likes for this thread
Show us your setup and the final result!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.