Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 07 Dec 2016 (Wednesday) 09:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Northern Namibia: Etosha and Beyond

buddy4344
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Gallery: 400 photos
Best ofs: 14
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 17, 2016 11:24 |  #31

Moving along, we got to Goas and, as yesterday, there were plenty of zebra at the waterhole. I shot for a few minutes and then remembered I had brought along on the trip a 6-stop neutral density filter. Getting long shutter times in daylight is usually a challenge and this would decrease light to the sensor and allow those longer shutter speeds. My plan coming to Etosha was that I wanted some longer exposure shots of animals at waterholes with the hope one or two animals would remain motionless, while other animals moved around, creating a mix of motion and static animals. Than plan worked fairly well, however, I had not considered a few factors: I was in a vehicle with another person and I was on a beanbag with a super-telephoto lens. Any motion by my fellow photographer in the vehicle ruined shots. Any motion by me while shooting long ruined the shots. I quickly learned that the idea has great potential, but technique requires practice and patience. I will try this again in the future.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Buddy4344

Gear: Olympus EM1X, Olympus/Zuiko Lenses: 150-400mm f/4.5, 40-150mm f/2.8, 12-40 f/2.8, Oly 2x and 1.4x TCon, Kiboko 30L and 22L+

sponsored links
buddy4344
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 17, 2016 11:25 |  #32

While I had the 6-stop ND on the camera, I also shot pan shots of the zebra as they came and went from the waterhole. While the keeper rate is always low on this type shot, I was moderately successful as this method did not depend on the driver or me staying still. This technique depends on some part of the moving animal not bobbing up and down as you pan.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Buddy4344

Gear: Olympus EM1X, Olympus/Zuiko Lenses: 150-400mm f/4.5, 40-150mm f/2.8, 12-40 f/2.8, Oly 2x and 1.4x TCon, Kiboko 30L and 22L+

buddy4344
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 17, 2016 11:26 |  #33

A few more pans

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Buddy4344

buddy4344
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 17, 2016 11:27 |  #34

I also shot a few 'traditional' shots.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Buddy4344

buddy4344
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined Nov 2006
Post edited over 5 years ago by buddy4344.

Dec 17, 2016 11:28 |  #35

Today we needed to transfer from the Halali Lodge to the Okaukuejo Lodge, so we headed west with plans to stop at a few holes along the way. We shot some birds, a few springbok, but the most in transit fun was when we got to the Nebrownii Waterhole. This is where we had seen the ‘white ghost’ bull elephants and, sure enough, they were once more headed to the water hole. There were several vehicles and a bus at the waterhole, so positioning our vehicles was a problem. I shot theses brutes from a great distance and has considerable problems getting shape images due to the heat thermals.

I also shot a photo of this scruffy little bird at the waterhole. The bird is a rufous-napped lark. It seemed to epitomize the harsh existence animals have in this environment.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Buddy4344

buddy4344
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,544 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 17, 2016 11:31 |  #36

We arrived at Okaukuejo at about lunchtime. During the mid-day, the options are a buffet similar to the one we had eaten at Halali or a few grilled items like sausage, hot dogs or hamburgers. I went with the hamburger, but had immediate regrets as I saw the lady put the pre-cooked burger on a bun into a microwave. Thank goodness, I also ordered chips (French fries) as they were acceptable once covered in salt and tomato sauce (ketchup).

By the time we finished our lunch, it was late enough to allow check-in to the rooms. We quickly did this, then grabbed our cameras to see what was happening at the Okaukuejo waterhole. GReat timing as a black rhino was going for a swim and also a few oryx (also called gemsbok) were having a drink.

Stay tuned, next up - my first impressions of Okaukuejo Waterhole!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Buddy4344

TheLaird
Goldmember
2,604 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Dec 21, 2016 07:12 |  #37

Buddy .. many thanks for the early Christmas present. This thread is terrific. Quality photos but even more importantly, good detail of the trip.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Illegitimi non carborundum --- as they said in Roman times ---

sponsored links

16,350 views & 23 likes for this thread
Northern Namibia: Etosha and Beyond
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.