Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Dec 2016 (Saturday) 10:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dropbox: Goodbye Public Folder (And Public Access to Your Shared Photos)

mathogre
Goldmember
3,604 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 17, 2016 10:36 |  #1

Hi!

Most of the photos I share here at PotN are done through my public folder on Dropbox. As of March 15, 2017, the Ides of March (hmmm...), all of that goes away. All of my linked photos will be shown as a white box with an x. Yay. If you use the Dropbox public folder, your photos will receive the same treatment. You *could* in theory go back and relink photos, but woe to anyone who has an award winning photo in your gallery. You can replace the link, but your award goes away. But the real tragedy is that anything you currently share via the Dropbox public folder by default will be unavailable for public viewing. For me that's probably hundreds of photos. Why are they doing this? From a Dropbox email: "We’re always looking to improve the Dropbox sharing experience." Makes you wonder what they're smoking out in the Bay area.

https://www.dropboxfor​um.com …public-folder/td-p/197906 (external link)

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

sponsored links
alan_potter
wireless groping system
2,408 posts
Gallery: 164 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2005

Dec 17, 2016 17:02 |  #2

It is fascinating to watch ill-informed - or inappropriately goaled - product managers destroy a company's reputation with a single ill-considered move.

Falkirk, Scotland.
Project 365 Blog (external link) | flickr (external link)

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,270 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 17, 2016 17:23 |  #3

alan_potter wrote in post #18216006 (external link)
It is fascinating to watch ill-informed - or inappropriately goaled - product managers destroy a company's reputation with a single ill-considered move.

I completely agree but the worst part is that news like this is so commonplace it no longer comes as a surprise.

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,341 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 17, 2016 17:36 |  #4

This is one big reason I'm not a real fan of "the cloud". Stuff changes randomly. Stuff disappears. Stuff changes to align with the monetary goals of the publisher, not the satisfaction of the user. They all figure that once they have your data, you're stuck.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by Bassat.

Dec 17, 2016 18:20 |  #5

I have a flickr account I've never used. I don't use any public/social medium for sharing photos. My wife will post some shots of interest to others (parties/graduations/b​irthdays/etc.) on her facebook page. What, exactly, am I missing?

alan_potter
wireless groping system
2,408 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 18, 2016 09:35 |  #6

I can accept service changes if I am using a free service. They provide it free, I use it at no cost to myself, I don't think I have much of a leg to stand on if they change what they give me for nothing.

But... if I am paying for it and they do something stoopid, like changing URLs for my existing files, then it's clear that it's time to walk away. That's just not appropriate.

Having said that, short of renting your own VPS it's hard to see what you can trust...

Falkirk, Scotland.

alan_potter
wireless groping system
2,408 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 18, 2016 09:36 |  #7

Bassat wrote in post #18216064 (external link)
I have a flickr account I've never used. I don't use any public/social medium for sharing photos. My wife will post some shots of interest to others (parties/graduations/b​irthdays/etc.) on her facebook page. What, exactly, am I missing?

If that covers everything you want to do with your pictures, then nothing.

If you find that you want to exhibit your pictures in a way that your current setup doesn't allow, you might need something more.

Falkirk, Scotland.

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 18, 2016 10:18 |  #8

alan_potter wrote in post #18216530 (external link)
If that covers everything you want to do with your pictures, then nothing.

If you find that you want to exhibit your pictures in a way that your current setup doesn't allow, you might need something more.

I get that. It's just that I'm happy doing things (mostly) the old fashioned way. I take photos, hang prints, and share with folks close to me. Sometimes family asks for high-quality files for printing. Most folks just take what my wife posts on FB. It works for us.

NYS ­ Photo
117 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jan 2016

Dec 18, 2016 10:29 |  #9

Bassat wrote in post #18216575 (external link)
I get that. It's just that I'm happy doing things (mostly) the old fashioned way. I take photos, hang prints, and share with folks close to me. Sometimes family asks for high-quality files for printing. Most folks just take what my wife posts on FB. It works for us.

I strikes me a little odd that here on a public photography forum you wouldn't want to display some of your work. Not to say that I/we need to display work for self gratification or for a way of building our own self esteem, I'm just saying that I would think that a person on a photography forum would want their work discussed and what better way to start that discussion than with a few photos.
Picture hosting sites give us that medium for which to display the craft.

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 18, 2016 10:55 |  #10

Bassat wrote in post #18216064 (external link)

Its called "Getting your message out"

Businesses (even photography businesses) use social media to communicate with their customers (and potential customers). Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn and many other sites allow businesses to post their accomplishments, trends, stock information, new hires and all kinds of other things via pictures and verbiage that the public may be interested in. Also Blogs allow businesses to keep steady flow of information going out to interested parties about technical, social, political or other news they want to share.

Some individuals, as well, feel that their day-to-day accomplishments are of interest to the general public and post things like cooking tips, craft techniques, parenting information and many other topics where pictures and words combine to carry their message to the world.

The good news (for those of us not interested in a steady stream of day-to-day esoterica) these sites usually require you to subscribe to them. So you can avoid parts of the information superhighway your not interested in.

If you don 't feel the need to "Get your message out" or maybe you don't have a message, that's OK. Many millions agree with you. For others its a requirement of their business. And for some its a style of interaction their comfortable with.

In the old days, church socials, book clubs, dances and coffee klatches were the common method for that social interaction. For the most part, they've all been replaced by social media. Where you can connect and share from the comfort of your own home. Even POTN, for many, has replaced the need to join a photography club. Members here share their time and experience to help others and display their accomplishments.

Personally (and on topic) I use DropBox to share documents/events/photo​s with members of the condo I live in. Most are not too computer-savvy and its an easy way for us to communicate and share ideas. I'm hoping this change won't affect our use of it.

Sit back and enjoy. Or unsubscribe.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 18, 2016 11:26 |  #11

Walt & NYS,

I get it. My photography, much like my piano playing, is primarily for me. I don't need to share either with the general public to 'validate' my ability, or lack thereof, in either endeavor. I do what I do, for me. Sure, my daughter wants me to shoot her son's athletics. The entire family expects me to show up at christmas with cameras/lens/lights/um​brellas. THAT, I do for them. Not to say I don't enjoy it, but it was not my prime motivation for buying a camera (singular? that is truly hilarious!) in the first place.

If you want to take the time to search my posts for photographs, you'll find most of them were test shots, made at the request of another member, or to make some point or another. I've posted very few of my photos... anywhere. My guess is that 75% of what I shoot never makes it to the computer. Only 10% of what does ever gets shared with anyone, including my wife. I don't hide it; its there if she wants to see it. I would guess I shoot about 5000 frames a year. I specifically ask my wife to look at perhaps 10 of them. I enjoy the process of photography as much, perhaps more, than the results.

My photography and my piano playing are activities I can get wholly and completely into all by myself. I have been working on playing Hey Jude for more than 5 years. Once I had a really good feel for the song, I decided that the left hand of the original is boring and could use some improvement, to my ear. I have been working on that, in my spare time, for most of those 5 years. The only classical piece I can play is Fur Elise. I love that music, but I can't do it justice. My wife is the only person who has ever heard me play either song. My photography is much the same. For me.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 18, 2016 12:22 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

mike_d wrote in post #18216031 (external link)
This is one big reason I'm not a real fan of "the cloud". Stuff changes randomly. Stuff disappears. Stuff changes to align with the monetary goals of the publisher, not the satisfaction of the user. They all figure that once they have your data, you're stuck.

Same here. Once I had to open a Dropsux account because a magazine I did work for found it 'too difficult' to work with FTP. I never cared for it; even less when I deleted files and they were not really deleted –I had to log on and delete the deleted images manually ('Are you sure you really want to delete? They'll be gone forever!'). Even then, I'm dubitous whether the photos were actually deleted from their servers: they might have simply hidden them from my eyes and they might still have them for all I know.

After I stopped dealing with that client I let the Dropbox account lag and it was eventually closed (supposedly), after I kept ignoring their several E-mails sent about the impending account deletion.

I use a VPS and send files to clients from it or deliver them in person. Dropbox can drop dead.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by WaltA. (2 edits in all)

Dec 18, 2016 12:34 |  #13

Alveric wrote in post #18216670 (external link)
Same here. Once I had to open a Dropsux account because a magazine I did work for found it 'too difficult' to work with FTP. I never cared for it; even less when I deleted files and they were not really deleted –I had to log on and delete the deleted images manually ('Are you sure you really want to delete? They'll be gone forever!'). Even then, I'm dubitous whether the photos were actually deleted from their servers: they might have simply hidden them from my eyes and they might still have them for all I know.

After I stopped dealing with that client I let the Dropbox account lag and it was eventually closed (supposedly), after I kept ignoring their several E-mails sent about the impending account deletion.

I use a VPS and send files to clients from it or deliver them in person. Dropbox can drop dead.

Many businesses I work with use DropBox (the business one not the free one) especially companies that have employees based world-wide. I'm sure your paranoia is well founded but I've never had an issue working with the product.

One company I work with has their whole application suite (used by airlines around the world) in the "cloud".
Which is a euphemism for "remote from your location". No problems in 3 1/2 years.

Walt

mathogre
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,604 posts
Gallery: 108 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 18, 2016 12:39 |  #14

I'll state for the record I have no technical problems with Dropbox. I use their free service, and would pay - at this point, probably a considerable amount - to keep the public folder as is, public and easy to use. My complaint is that all of the work I've done will be suddenly lost.

As regards sharing, it's whatever anyone wants. This post was more of a heads up to Dropbox public folder users, free and paid, as it will affect all users.

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by WaltA. (2 edits in all)

Dec 18, 2016 13:09 |  #15

mathogre wrote in post #18216698 (external link)
I'll state for the record I have no technical problems with Dropbox. I use their free service, and would pay - at this point, probably a considerable amount - to keep the public folder as is, public and easy to use. My complaint is that all of the work I've done will be suddenly lost.

As regards sharing, it's whatever anyone wants. This post was more of a heads up to Dropbox public folder users, free and paid, as it will affect all users.

I'm no DropBox expert (altho I am the admin). Please explain how this change will affect me.

I set up a TEAM folder for my condo associates and made them all members of the team. Then I share links with them to documents I want them to see and comment on.

I assumed there is no PUBLIC access and just ignored the messages from DropBox. This is the Free version, BTW

thanks

EDIT: Just logged in to DropBox now and see no evidence of a PUBLIC folder or a folder than can be seen by everyone without me sharing it with them.

Walt

sponsored links

5,687 views & 12 likes for this thread
Dropbox: Goodbye Public Folder (And Public Access to Your Shared Photos)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.