Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 17 Dec 2016 (Saturday) 10:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dropbox: Goodbye Public Folder (And Public Access to Your Shared Photos)

NYS ­ Photo
117 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jan 2016

Dec 18, 2016 13:10 as a reply to  @ post 18216626 |  #16

Fair enough Bassat, I get it that "it is for You" and you alone. And that sharing it with others does nothing for you in the way of enjoying your recreation or hobby.
I was just commenting on how I think sharing your photos may, or may not I guess, enhance your experience in this hobby. I certainly wouldn't want to try and pressure anyone in doing something they don't and that's the case here as well. I'm just thinking you may get more out of the hobby by sharing, that is all.

sponsored links
kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 18, 2016 13:10 as a reply to  @ post 18216698 |  #17

Why would your work be lost? Is that the only place you have them? If so, why? I'm not undertanding the angst. I use Dropbox and Google Drive to make large files or a large number of files available to someone I am doing something for, and for easy access for some files when I need them. But all are stored somewhere else additionally.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 18, 2016 13:14 |  #18

shutterpat wrote in post #18197568 (external link)
Ultimate Warrior...

NYS Photo wrote in post #18216743 (external link)
Fair enough Bassat, I get it that "it is for You" and you alone. And that sharing it with others does nothing for you in the way of enjoying your recreation or hobby.
I was just commenting on how I think sharing your photos may, or may not I guess, enhance your experience in this hobby. I certainly wouldn't want to try and pressure anyone in doing something they don't and that's the case here as well. I'm just thinking you may get more out of the hobby by sharing, that is all.

Well, I have to admit it may. I've never tried it. I'll make that my New Year's resolution. Share some new photos.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,257 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 18, 2016 13:20 |  #19

kjonnnn wrote in post #18216744 (external link)
Why would your work be lost? Is that the only place you have them? If so, why? I'm not undertanding the angst. I use Dropbox and Google Drive to make large files or a large number of files available to someone I am doing something for, and for easy access for some files when I need them. But all are stored somewhere else additionally.

The issue isn't that the user is losing their files. Its that Dropbox has arbitrarily decided to break millions of links users have created over the years.

WaltA
Goldmember
3,862 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 18, 2016 13:20 |  #20

kjonnnn wrote in post #18216744 (external link)

I agree. DropBox has a desktop app and it mirrors all the folders/files you designate on your desktop to the "cloud".
Anything worth storing should be stored in 2 (or more) places including a separate geographic location.

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,257 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by mike_d.

Dec 18, 2016 13:31 |  #21

Alveric wrote in post #18216670 (external link)
Same here. Once I had to open a Dropsux account because a magazine I did work for found it 'too difficult' to work with FTP. I never cared for it; even less when I deleted files and they were not really deleted –I had to log on and delete the deleted images manually ('Are you sure you really want to delete? They'll be gone forever!'). Even then, I'm dubitous whether the photos were actually deleted from their servers: they might have simply hidden them from my eyes and they might still have them for all I know.

After I stopped dealing with that client I let the Dropbox account lag and it was eventually closed (supposedly), after I kept ignoring their several E-mails sent about the impending account deletion.

I use a VPS and send files to clients from it or deliver them in person. Dropbox can drop dead.

I use Drobox, but only for short-term storage for my own convenience. I have it configured to grab all the pictures I take with my phone and my wife's phone. I then import pictures and videos of the kids into Lightroom. Its easier than periodically connecting our phones to my computer.

I also use it to distribute large zip files. For example, I'll take a bunch of pictures of a friend's kid, cull, edit, zip up high resolution versions of the keepers, drag the zip file into Dropbox and email them a link. The link only needs to stay active long enough for them to download the file.

I never used Dropbox to host pictures for display on forums. My main concern was that someone could possibly discover other files in the folder structure revealed in the link. I use Photobucket for that and everything there is a throw-away item that I don't care if everyone sees.

I use SmugMug for sharing photos with friends and family. I'm careful to preserve the structure so that old links continue to work. Hopefully SmugMug never decides to "improve" things and break everything. But since they're not posted publicly, the number of people I'd have to notify is limited.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,257 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 18, 2016 13:35 |  #22

WaltA wrote in post #18216759 (external link)
I agree. DropBox has a desktop app and it mirrors all the folders/files you designate on your desktop to the "cloud".
Anything worth storing should be stored in 2 (or more) places including a separate geographic location.

This is how it should be done. But I know people using services like Google Drive or OneDrive without the desktop client installed. They just throw stuff in there from their phone, tablet, or web interface and trust that everything will always be accessible. To me, the biggest danger is not that these services will outright shut down, but that the user will lose access to the account. People use and re-use weak passwords they their accounts get "hacked". Or they could run afoul of a rule in line 6000 of the TOS and get their account locked. Unlike banking, there's no consumer protection laws and no office to visit. If Google locks you out of your account, what are you really going to do?

mathogre
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,537 posts
Gallery: 103 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 18, 2016 13:36 |  #23

WaltA wrote in post #18216742 (external link)
I'm no DropBox expert (altho I am the admin). Please explain how this change will affect me.

I set up a TEAM folder for my condo associates and made them all members of the team. Then I share links with them to documents I want them to see and comment on.

I assumed there is no PUBLIC access and just ignored the messages from DropBox. This is the Free version, BTW

thanks

EDIT: Just logged in to DropBox now and see no evidence of a PUBLIC folder or a folder than can be seen by everyone without me sharing it with them.

Dropbox provided a public folder for users in the past, but stopped providing it a few years ago. Anyone still having it could use it.

From that, I, and many other people, would put photos in the public folder, and then embed them into forums such as PotN. Now, once the public folder capability goes away, those links and thus the embedded photos, go away, replaced by a white box with a red x.

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18039793

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 18, 2016 13:40 |  #24
bannedPermanent ban

WaltA wrote in post #18216688 (external link)
Many businesses I work with use DropBox (the business one not the free one) especially companies that have employees based world-wide. I'm sure your paranoia is well founded but I've never had an issue working with the product.

One company I work with has their whole application suite (used by airlines around the world) in the "cloud".
Which is a euphemism for "remote from your location". No problems in 3 1/2 years.

Yes, the company I worked for was spread out over the world and we used Dropbox when large documents or a large number of documents needed to be see by many remote people. Worked flawlessly.

If someone is paranoid about putting their stuff online...then there is always snail mail which is more likely to be stolen than any documents or photos using the likes of Dropbox.

I guess these same people don't use e-mail as they can reside on some foreign servers...right Hilary? Oh...what about people using this forum...all this info is stored somewhere...what if they steal it????

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 18, 2016 13:46 |  #25

I've never used DropBox...

I do, in fact, Share my photos online. My online PBase gallery has about 9,000 photos, and I share photos here and actively on Facebook. My online photos have all been edited and sized for Web sharing, though. If I wanted to "share" a full-sized photo, I'd use another route.

I'd also stress that I don't depend on an online "source" for permanent photo storage! I use my computer workstation as well as external hard drives for permanent storage. I can't imagine trusting an online "source" for permanent storage, although when I had a career in the tech industry, sure, we had a global network where stuff was stored and shared, but my personal photos are for ME to have and to hold!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 18, 2016 13:46 as a reply to  @ WaltA's post |  #26

Exactly. I use Dropbox on my PC and it has folders with files. If Dropbox shut down today, I'd still have my files. Thats why I was confused that the OP said they would lose files. Maybe I missed something.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 18, 2016 13:48 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

mathogre wrote in post #18216779 (external link)
Dropbox provided a public folder for users in the past, but stopped providing it a few years ago. Anyone still having it could use it.

From that, I, and many other people, would put photos in the public folder, and then embed them into forums such as PotN. Now, once the public folder capability goes away, those links and thus the embedded photos, go away, replaced by a white box with a red x.

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18039793

If they stopped providing the public folder 2 years ago for new accounts...I think the writing should have been on the wall and in that 2 years, you should have transitioned to some other method. Dropbox is now giving you a final 3 months to make this transition, which is a fair amount of time IMHO.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,257 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 18, 2016 13:49 |  #28

Hogloff wrote in post #18216788 (external link)
If they stopped providing the public folder 2 years ago for new accounts...I think the writing should have been on the wall and in that 2 years, you should have transitioned to some other method. Dropbox is now giving you a final 3 months to make this transition, which is a fair amount of time IMHO.

But if someone has had an account for years, they're not likely to know that NEW accounts lack a public folder.

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 18, 2016 13:51 as a reply to  @ mike_d's post |  #29

I WAS addressing that issue because the OP said they would lose files. Thats why I inquired how. As for the links issue, I would never think of using dropbox with permanent links for photo sharing. That doesnt make make sense to me.

WaltA
Goldmember
3,862 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 18, 2016 13:51 as a reply to  @ mathogre's post |  #30

AHA. thats why I didn't see it. I only open my DropBox account last year.

Thanks

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

sponsored links

5,232 views & 12 likes for this thread
Dropbox: Goodbye Public Folder (And Public Access to Your Shared Photos)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.