Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 19 Dec 2016 (Monday) 04:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Getting bored of photography

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,060 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 19, 2016 09:50 as a reply to  @ post 18217517 |  #16

sadly not even the paid work is paying the bills :-(

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

sponsored links
airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,277 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Dec 19, 2016 10:08 |  #17

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18217521 (external link)
sadly not even the paid work is paying the bills :-(

Where do you live and is there anyone you can go to work for? What are you trying to make a living doing? What have you done to make a client come to you? Does your work look like everyone else? Are you marketing yourself the way everyone else is? The herd mentality is truly the kiss of death in my opinion. If you work looks like everyone else and you are try to reach a client the way everyone else is do you really think that is going to work?

I don't have a website. Not how I would get my clients. In fact it could hurt me in the long run.

For my personal work I like people to see my work the way it should be seen, as a large print in relationship to other pieces from the same body of work in a gallery or similar place wit good lighting and appropriate presentation for the work.

Do what you have to do for the pro side and do what you want for you, personal side, and try and not become part of the herd.

That would be my best advice.

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,060 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 19, 2016 10:16 |  #18

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18217539 (external link)
Where do you live and is there anyone you can go to work for? What are you trying to make a living doing? What have you done to make a client come to you? Does your work look like everyone else? Are you marketing yourself the way everyone else is? The herd mentality is truly the kiss of death in my opinion. If you work looks like everyone else and you are try to reach a client the way everyone else is do you really think that is going to work?

I don't have a website. Not how I would get my clients. In fact it could hurt me in the long run.

For my personal work I like people to see my work the way it should be seen, as a large print in relationship to other pieces from the same body of work in a gallery or similar place wit good lighting and appropriate presentation for the work.

Do what you have to do for the pro side and do what you want for you, personal side, and try and not become part of the herd.

That would be my best advice.

I live in the middle of nowhere in the south west UK.
No one is hiring photographers at the moment (spoke to about 9 or 10 companies)
I have done offers, contacted agencies, models and organised events to raise my profile
My work is unique and have been told that's a good thing
i try to market uniquely.
the issue is that i have got some ideas but need help to fulfil them... no one is interested or people say yes but then just fizzle out.

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

airfrogusmc
36,277 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 19, 2016 10:23 |  #19

How bad do you want it? Read my remarks in my previous post about living in the middle of nowhere and making it. How can you separate yourself and how do you get into the area that you need to get into?

I would say if you are serious do what you have to do. If not keep it as a hobby.

I majored in it in college B/A. Work for the first 5 years for others making crap but learning SO MUCH and making important contacts and building relationships. I did what i had to do. Living in a majored market helped. Having a strong portfolio and showing that i was serious (4 years of college) was all part of it for me. Took decades to build the client base I now have. My largest client took over 5 years to land. (Persistence). I still have my very first client. It is very difficult to make a full time living doing this. You need to give yourself every edge that you can. If you are not that serous keep it as a hobby, keep the day job and do an occasional pro job and stay happy.

Paul.C
35 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2016

Dec 19, 2016 15:32 |  #20

I was a hobbyist photographer for about 5-6 years...had a lot of people commenting that they enjoyed my work, so I decided to go to school for it and fill in all the gaps that I had. But even though I went to school, I really don't have a desire to make a full blown career out of my own personal business. Thankfully where I live, I make a living as an e-comm studio photographer, I second hand shoot weddings on the weekends, which leaves me to still shoot what I want on my free time. I sometimes got bored with certain ideas or themes though...

What worked for me, I started shooting film again. Trying to mess around with expired film and see what comes out of it. It brought back the joy of photography for me again and I love it.

I don't say give up, just try different mediums which may bring you more joy. We all get in a small creative slump sometimes, but keep at it. You won't regret it =)

Photographer/Retoucher​/Artist/Nerd
www.paulcerbonephotogr​aphy.com

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,877 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Dec 19, 2016 16:18 |  #21

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18217517 (external link)
I am a photographer. It's not a hat that I take off the shelf and put on when needed. It really defines who I am.

I so completely relate to this statement.

Photography is the one all-encompassing thing in my life. The reason I have a home is so that there is a place to eat and rest at, so that I can be more effective when I venture forth to do more photography. The reason I have a car is so that I can get around to different places to take pictures. The reason I have a computer is so that I can work on pictures. The reason that I don't have a wife or kids is so that I can spend as much time as possible on photography, without other distractions or responsibilities getting in the way. The reason that I take on non-photography work is so that I can have more money to put into my photographic pursuits. The reason I moved from Philadelphia to a very remote area of Washington state (leaving all I had ever known and all of my friends and family behind for good) was so that I would be close to the wildlife that I want to photograph.

Almost everything in my life is based on my photography. That is the one thing that matters to me, above everything else.

TO THE OP:
If you do not feel that way about photography, then maybe it is best for you to ditch the gear and move on, and try to find the one thing that you can base your entire life on.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 19, 2016 16:26 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

Yeah, I feel you. Just down size your gear (even downgrading them) and this would save you some money and freeing up some cash. Keep the essential. Shoot whenever you want and at whatever you want.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 19, 2016 17:26 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18217895 (external link)

I so completely relate to this statement.

Photography is the one all-encompassing thing in my life. The reason I have a home is so that there is a place to eat and rest at, so that I can be more effective when I venture forth to do more photography. The reason I have a car is so that I can get around to different places to take pictures. The reason I have a computer is so that I can work on pictures. The reason that I don't have a wife or kids is so that I can spend as much time as possible on photography, without other distractions or responsibilities getting in the way. The reason that I take on non-photography work is so that I can have more money to put into my photographic pursuits. The reason I moved from Philadelphia to a very remote area of Washington state (leaving all I had ever known and all of my friends and family behind for good) was so that I would be close to the wildlife that I want to photograph.

Almost everything in my life is based on my photography. That is the one thing that matters to me, above everything else.

TO THE OP:
If you do not feel that way about photography, then maybe it is best for you to ditch the gear and move on, and try to find the one thing that you can base your entire life on.

You sound like you live a lonely life. Just saying...

I have a few friends that make their profession around photography. They don't "dive in" like you and are still very productive. I think there are many ways to skin this cat...yours is just one extreme.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,877 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 19, 2016 17:34 |  #24

Hogloff wrote in post #18217954 (external link)
You sound like you live a lonely life. Just saying...

Actually, quite the opposite. In fact, I often spend so much time around other people and engaging with them that I just can't wait to go home and be by myself for a while. It's like, I desperately need this certain amount of "alone time", yet struggle to get enough of it.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 19, 2016 18:33 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18217962 (external link)

Actually, quite the opposite. In fact, I often spend so much time around other people and engaging with them that I just can't wait to go home and be by myself for a while. It's like, I desperately need this certain amount of "alone time", yet struggle to get enough of it.

I find successful photographers are the ones that socialize as even in today's digital world, smoozing is still the most effective means of advertising and getting your next sale.

WaltA
Goldmember
3,863 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 19, 2016 18:56 |  #26

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18217517 (external link)
=airfrogusmc;18217517]It's different for everyone. I have been doing this full time and supporting the family with it since 1986. (30 years this year). I have seen them come and go over the years and one thing that I see in those that have longevity is most do personal work outside and separate from their pro work. The professional work feeds the beast and pays for everything including the base to do your personal work from. Professional work is the clients. It revolves around what they and their agents (and by agents I mean people like art directors, designers, account managers, etc) need. If you don't feed that need and exceed that need consistently you wont stay in business. Personal work is where the passion is. The pro work feeds the family. The personal work feeds the soul.

I feel more passionate about photography now than I did 30 years ago. I am a photographer. It's not a hat that I take off the shelf and put on when needed. It really defines who I am. So my personal work is the hobby side of it for me. No one tells me what I should photograph or how with my personal work. My pro work is usually a collaboration. I actually enjoy that side of things a lot but I know in the end that it's not mine, it's the clients. As I have said, if I don't exceed the clients expectations consistently then I don't stay in business.

Allen

Allan, two things about your post I wanted to comment on.

You are so right that its different for everyone.

But unlike you, I've always said "What I do doesn't define who I am".

I've had a couple of different professions. OK, I've had 5 different professions that have provided me and my family with an income at different times in my life.

I've had a number of different hobbies, music, photography and others. But I never felt confident enough (or interested enough) to turn them into professions.

My real job (that I still do) is one that lets me choose what I do and who I do it for and where I do it from. I have been successful (and lucky) to reach that position in life.

But I still don't want what I do to define who I am.

I believe I'm more than what I do.

You're very successful at what you do. Your skill at street photography has fascinated me since I joined POTN. Your photos are truly amazing and your creativity helps me learn more about the art.

For the thread starter, I feel your pain. Photography is a hobby to me. And I still feel like I don't get out enough - don't have the drive I did a year or so ago. But it'll come back. Malveaux posted some great ideas a bit back in the thread. And Allan's are a good picture (pun intended) of someone who's spent his life at this trade. Good advice there as well.

Hope you solve your doldrums..

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

airfrogusmc
36,277 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 19, 2016 19:46 |  #27

I hear ya Walt.

For me I studied it in college. I have taught it at the college level. it has been feeding my family for several decades. I do it as my day job and I do it as my creative outlet.

There is rarely a day that I am not shooting or doing something directly involved with it. Most of my friends are photographers or artists. So I would say it is my life and defines who I am.

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,060 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 20, 2016 02:52 |  #28

Thanks for all the feedback and support.
I was reading the post about the film option and funnily enough i have started getting back into that.
I have myself a Lubitel 2 120 film camera and a Zenit EM 35mm camera.
I think my aim is to get into these a lot more and sell my A6k. If i have an important event i will either shoot film or rent a cam (saw i can get a7RII for £35 a day!)

Facebook (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Alveric.

Dec 20, 2016 09:51 as a reply to  @ WaltA's post |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

I'm with WaltA on this one. That's one reason I'm opposed to 'My Name Photography' as a business name. I make the photography, not the other way around. If, for some reason, I need/want/have to stop doing photography and migrate to something else, I don't want my name perpetually branded to a certain occupation.

I'm also with airfrogusmc on the note of being. (It's all based on the talents each of us was gifted with. You either have it in you or you don't. Of course, you can listen to postmodern propaganda and their 'if you want it you can make it happen–don't let anyone tell you you can't–blah, blach' spurious mantras, and proceed to waste precious time trying to make yourself something you ain't. Each man's call.)

In the case of the OP here, though, either rethink or find an area of photography you really enjoy and do nothing else, or yeah, leave it as a hobby and go find something your talents let you perform successfully. Yes, it's hard to make it nowadays—been there as well—it really sux when you can't pay the bills and you don't know how to do anything else, or no one will hire you because you don't have the experience or the papers. But if you really have it in you, guess you just have to keep thinking of ways to make it happen: we all have to.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,499 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by kf095.

Dec 20, 2016 09:53 |  #30

One film camera is something natural and known for millions of people. Some of them are here on P.O.T.N. Like me. It was normal then I was younger. Nothing wrong with it now as well.

Photography or else, if you are forsing your self into something it is actually already over, done. Sell digital gear for now, buy better one later. Or same for very low price.

Competitions and "professionally" makes photography boring. IMO.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links

42,307 views & 285 likes for this thread
Getting bored of photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.