Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 19 Dec 2016 (Monday) 04:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Getting bored of photography

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,043 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Dec 20, 2016 10:18 |  #31

kf095 wrote in post #18218625 (external link)
One film camera is something natural and known for millions of people. Some of them are here on P.O.T.N. Like me. It was normal then I was younger. Nothing wrong with it now as well.

Photography or else, if you are forsing your self into something it is actually already over, done. Sell digital gear for now, buy better one later. Or same for very low price.

Competitions and "professionally" makes photography boring. IMO.

Film is a great way to go. You can pick up an old Leica M or say a hasselblad 500 C/M for a fraction of the cost of digital. I remember the first time I saw the B&W print coming up in a tray under the red glow of a safe light. I though it was magic. I remember it as if it were yesterday and it was over 40 years ago. I love film and if I still had a darkroom I would still be shooting it in some capacity.

sponsored links
urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,054 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 20, 2016 10:20 as a reply to  @ airfrogusmc's post |  #32

yeah thinking to actually get good film camera i will have to spend more than i would normally (like more than a hundred)

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

OhLook
Spiderwoman
18,394 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 20, 2016 10:24 |  #33

This may or may not be relevant for the OP. I'll toss it into the stew of comments just in case. Sometimes my enthusiasm for an activity has flagged when I didn't get signs that anyone but me cared about what I was doing. Then it revived when other people who understood that kind of activity took an interest. If you're being paid for your work, then obviously the payer values it. If you're not being paid, it doesn't mean your work is bad, but you may have a harder time getting feedback to tell you that your work is meaningful. (Being underpaid is a whole other story.) Isolation is a danger that comes with solitary pursuits. Getting involved with a person or group can help.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

airfrogusmc
36,043 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by airfrogusmc.

Dec 20, 2016 10:33 |  #34

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18218642 (external link)
yeah thinking to actually get good film camera i will have to spend more than i would normally (like more than a hundred)

A couple of inexpensive options and a couple of GREAT cameras.
http://www.ebay.com …966?hash=item2e​f891e6b6:g (external link):D~QAAOSwcUBYRHeS

http://www.ebay.com …caf34b:g:Oe4AAO​Sw44BYUZhV (external link)

A little more $$$
http://www.ebay.com …423?hash=item28​26a5172f:g (external link):xmUAAOSwo4pYU1mz

http://www.ebay.com …9e1373:g:pmgAAO​SwNRdX-BBh (external link)

http://www.ebay.com …6f20cc:g:lE4AAO​Sw-itXri4- (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 20, 2016 10:54 |  #35

Getting bored with photography...try using those pictures to create artistry.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,768 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 20, 2016 11:12 |  #36

TS, photography is possibly a fad for you as it is more many. I know more folks that got into photography, then stopped, then those that stuck with it.

Quite possibly a fad hobby, maybe time to move into something else? I was really good with cars at one time, my technical skills are still pretty high for mechanical work, but it was a fad.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 20, 2016 12:19 |  #37

I too have found myself in a rut lately. Part of it is because I've been steered by others to take photos of events and family and friends... I'm not taking photos for myself, but rather for them. It's sapped some of the desire to create from me.

2016 was a wash for me photographically. Work and family got in the way. 2017 will be a reboot. I also believe that part of what I enjoy about photography is the post processing aspect of it and printing. My goal is to create more personal prints in the coming year. Even when shooting events and family and friends... if I can create 1 print for each time I do so, I think I'll enjoy it more.

I also ordered a new small backpack so that I can carry a camera to work with me. I've left my camera at home for far too long. I used to bring it in a camera messenger. On the commuter rail to work, it's too much to carry along with a gym bag and a laptop bag. I ordered an inexpensive, inconspicuously sized bag to fit a body, 85 and 35, my gym clothes and a laptop.

NYS Photo wrote in post #18217404 (external link)
For me anyway hobbies are cyclical.

I agree with this. I have a lot of different interests, but lately I've been more invested in exercise and improving the house than in any other hobby I've picked up through the years.

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18217425 (external link)
see my next interest is cars.

I will caution against this, just because it's incredibly expensive the depreciation rate is too high. There was a local photographer that used to frequent this board - he said that in his younger days he spent way too much on cars and he was right. Incidentally, he also close down his very successful photography business. I'd venture to guess that he enjoys photography more these days when he has time. Reminds me... the Boston POTN group should reach back out to him.

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18217895 (external link)
.Photography is the one all-encompassing thing in my life...
TO THE OP:
If you do not feel that way about photography, then maybe it is best for you to ditch the gear and move on, and try to find the one thing that you can base your entire life on. .

I'm going to respectfully disagree with this. Too extreme. Under this rationale, too many of us will be forced to sell our gear. It's not all encompassing for me, but do I respect you for your passion for your work. I don't think I feel that strongly about anything really.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,429 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 20, 2016 12:43 |  #38

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18218640 (external link)
Film is a great way to go. You can pick up an old Leica M or say a hasselblad 500 C/M for a fraction of the cost of digital. I remember the first time I saw the B&W print coming up in a tray under the red glow of a safe light. I though it was magic. I remember it as if it were yesterday and it was over 40 years ago. I love film and if I still had a darkroom I would still be shooting it in some capacity.

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18218642 (external link)

If Zenit and Lybitel are good enough and working here is no big reason to spend more on Leica or Hassy. As long as camera feels nice it will deliver nice images. With film even box camera gives something special. It is digital where we depend on sharpens and quality of the lens. With film it is more like painting.

Lybitel-2

IMAGE: https://c3.staticflickr.com/6/5789/23301012530_125d251eb4.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Bv2M​em  (external link)

Rough condition Rollecord IIb (well under one hundred price)
IMAGE: https://c8.staticflickr.com/4/3915/19314800375_c47a7efc7b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/vqMp​ez  (external link)

Smena-8M (price is next to free)
IMAGE: https://c5.staticflickr.com/8/7650/16724417140_62250b5a09.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/rtT1​xE  (external link)

Well under one hundred OM-10 with 50 1.8 lens.
IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3889/14583620512_4b414c4719.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/odGS​hY  (external link)

You also don't need to take pictures often. One per day or less, roll last for one month and less pictures you'll take more keepers you'll get. You'll spend more time on observing and thinking. This might trigger to more reading, learning and books...

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

904canon
146 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2012

Dec 20, 2016 12:55 |  #39

Referrals from the paid clients always works with the majority of businesses.

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 20, 2016 14:17 |  #40

Was going to type something very similar to Allen's post ( was struck with how similar my experiences are) but will save the keystrokes. Read, re-read then read his advice again. It's spot on.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

airfrogusmc
36,043 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 20, 2016 14:44 |  #41

Foodguy wrote in post #18218876 (external link)
Was going to type something very similar to Allen's post ( was struck with how similar my experiences are) but will save the keystrokes. Read, re-read then read his advice again. It's spot on.

Thanks and how ya been?

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 20, 2016 15:21 |  #42

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18218916 (external link)
Thanks and how ya been?

I've been well...thanks for asking. Still 'clicking' away ::-P

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 20, 2016 18:10 |  #43

You know, there's a big difference between doing something as a passion/enthusiastic hobby, and doing it as a job, as a "pro"! Although you may start something as a "hobby", if you want to become "professional", well, that calls for a whole shift of "gears", and you have to keep attuned to the needs of your profession!

I've worked as a pro in a couple different fields, one running a service business that didn't start as a hobby, but I had to commit myself to being "the best in the business" (and I was pretty successful at that) by excelling on the quality of my craft, and then I also had to commit myself to the business end, getting out and winning customers and giving them great service! But seriously, even though I prided myself in the quality of my "craft", I never saw it as a "fun hobby"! It's just that if my motivation went down, well, my earnings went down!

And then, there was the time I got caught up in the "hobby" of technology. It was the mid-'80s, so computers were just coming out to play, but I delved into electronics and computer stuff as a passion, spare time but very active. That got to a point where I jumped into school, training for an actual career in tech, even though I was also running a service shop and working a part-time night job as well! But, it paid off, I started a new career with my "hobby enthusiasm" as the base, although, believe me, it takes WORK to get to WORK!!!

The point being, there is a difference between a hobby and a JOB. With a hobby, well, who cares but you and maybe some folks who care and want to see you happy, but still, it's up to you! With a Job, well, you'd best not get into the idea of being "bored"! Sure, it happens, but then it becomes a prime factor in losing that Job!

And then, as you move on with a hobby such as photography...well, it did become a hobby of mine, although in recent years various life "things" have really slowed me down. But still, my photography has been "special"! To this day, even though I'm not out taking photos much, I occasionally will glance at photos from over the years, in fact yesterday I posted some up from a "tumultuous" year back in '03, a lot of road trips, and got a whole lot of positive responses!

Note, though, that I've done very little "for pay" work. Photography has not been a Job for me, but has been a passion that I can share!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,054 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 21, 2016 03:24 |  #44

Thanks to everyone for sharing their feelings and opinions.
It does seem that photography is indeed a hard business to be in. I work professionally in IT and as mentioned by Tony, I get bored in this role but it pays the bills so i suck it up and keep going, It isnt a passion (server setup, config and maintenance) but the money is good. I also used to (still do occasionally) build computers but this is very few and far between and often done low key and for friends. I can see IF i was to try to turn that into a business i would get frustrated with it very quickly!

I'm taking this time to go through my old photos - re-edit them and find new ones i have forgotten i took.

There are some corkers that i have taken over the past few years and they make me smile when i see them but i also notice A LOT of photos that i have taken for others or taken hoping others would like them.

I think slowing down, stopping the whole 'business' thing and keep shooting on a when i want basis not trying to capture everything for everyone.

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

MatthewK
Goldmember
3,897 posts
Gallery: 704 photos
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by MatthewK.

Dec 21, 2016 04:52 |  #45

NYS Photo wrote in post #18217404 (external link)
For me anyway hobbies are cyclical. I have a good few hobbies, mostly expensive ones ߘ, I find myself coming into and out of passion with each.
I have way too much invested with most of them to just sell off stuff then reaquire it when I find my creative juices again.
Woodworking is one of those hobbies, I put it down for a few years and am just now getting back to it, I have every thing in place for me to just pick it up when I want.
My advice would be not to sell your equipment but rather just store it if you can.
I never got anywhere trying to force creativity, instead just let the will to create come to me in time and move on to other interests for the time being.

That's what I am seeing too, not just with my photography hobby, but in every hobby I have. Tennis, video games, cars, camping, all of them at one point or another just sort of temporarily fizzle out for a while, and then one day I suddenly have renewed interest in them. Don't worry, the interest and desire will come back on its own, and you'll have a different perspective on it that may potentially open up new faucets of the hobby for you.

well that didn't last long...

sponsored links

39,829 views & 285 likes for this thread
Getting bored of photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.