Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 01 Dec 2016 (Thursday) 07:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CAPTURE ONE PRO 10 Released

haffende
121 posts
Gallery: 22 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 01, 2016 07:57 |  #1

New version released 12 months after last one and the upgrade price is 99 Eur. As much as I love this software I'm not happy about the lack of 'significant' improvements to warrant this big upgrade cost. If this is now an annual upgrade cycle then Adobe CC is looking more attractive at around the same annual cost.

Ian H

EOS1DXMKII, EOS7D MKII, EF85 1.2 II L, EF24-70 2.8L, EF24-105 4.0 IS L, EF70-200 2.8 IS II L, EF100-400 4.5-5.6 IS II L, EF500 4.0 IS L, 580EX
My flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,644 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 01, 2016 08:22 |  #2

Something tells me they may switch to subscription only before long.

I keep wanting to get back in to Capture One, but I don't want it cataloging my photos for me necessarily. I vaguely recall 7 being a pain in the butt, which is why & when I started to move away from C1.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

craigbeckta
191 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 01, 2016 09:11 |  #3

I know that yearly upgrades can be annoying.

And I do agree, I like how Adobe upgrades are included in the subscription fee.

If it helps, I have a coupon code that saves you 10% off Capture One Pro 10.

Just use the Coupon Code: AMBCRAIG

"Online Digital Photography Training ( Image Classroom )" (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,171 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Dec 01, 2016 19:19 |  #4

It seems you can't please all of the people all of the time. Adobe introduce a subscription and people moan about that because the perpetual license/upgrade system is better.... and others don't like the perpetual license/upgrade system.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,644 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 01, 2016 22:09 |  #5

Dan Marchant wrote in post #18200557 (external link)
It seems you can't please all of the people all of the time. Adobe introduce a subscription and people moan about that because the perpetual license/upgrade system is better.... and others don't like the perpetual license/upgrade system.

For me it's a question of price and product. Adobe's Photographer subscription hits the right price point, prior to that you had to spend $20/mo just for Photoshop and that wasn't reasonable in my opinion. I don't necessarily find their pricing for the whole suite unreasonable, but I don't use enough of the various programs often enough to justify it. Fortunately for those few times I need Illustrator or Acrobat Pro or whatnot, I have an older CS5 suite I can still use. Unfortunately it doesn't include some software like Premiere, which might frustrate me if I ever get in to doing video.

Another software suite we use at work went to a yearly subscription model and the value is not in it. Unfortunately, they may not offer perpetual licenses anymore which will prove to be disruptive.

Did they need to price it where they did? Were they not profitable with their previous pricing and licensing model? No idea, but the transition to subscription based/software as a service doesn't always go smoothly based on those factors.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Alveric. (3 edits in all)

Dec 01, 2016 23:04 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Well, unlike Arsobe, Phase One isn't 'automatically' ramming the updates down anyone's throat. A good approach for those running older computers that might not be able to handle the upgrade. Now, maybe CrappyCloud's algorithms automatically detect whether a machine meets the optimal requirements and bypasses updates if it doesn't: I don't know—it'd be nice if someone clarified that.

I reiterate that Phase One forces no one to upgrade: no pesky pop-ups, no E-mails other than that of the announcement, no threats that one's current version is obsolete, no software suddenly stopping working. You can download the trial and roll back if you don't like it. As a matter of fact, newer versions of CaptureOne are installed onto a new folder: they do not touch the previous installations, they only read your preferences files and create new ones in the newer version's own folder. How's that for non-intrusiveness?

I'm still running version 8 just fine. And I will wait to pull the trigger on v. 10 till I check PhaseOne's forums to see how the ones who did upgrade are doing and if there are any major issues.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by bps.

Dec 02, 2016 00:00 |  #7

No offense my friends, but let's not discuss the same old tired conversation about upgrades versus subscription models. Let's discuss the new features of C1P 10. I'm interested in hearing some real-world reports from users. I've read some great things so far about C1P 10, but it's mostly coming from beta testers and sponsored artists, so I'm interested in more real-world feedback from everyday users.

I've heard that it is significantly faster, especially with large catalogs. Can anyone speak to this?

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

craigbeckta
191 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 02, 2016 07:58 |  #8

I have done some early testing and I notice an improvement in speed and performance although that will depend on your computer set up of course.

I believe the ability to use Tangent elements is a good feature for people who prefer a more hands on approach.

"Online Digital Photography Training ( Image Classroom )" (external link)

NinetyEight
"Banned for life"
3,193 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 03, 2016 05:24 as a reply to  @ Colorblinded's post |  #9

You don't have to use a catalogue in C1, just use a 'Session' and browse to your images.

Kev

Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
811 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Best ofs: 16
Joined Jun 2003

Dec 03, 2016 13:03 |  #10

Alveric wrote in post #18200749 (external link)
Well, unlike Arsobe, Phase One isn't 'automatically' ramming the updates down anyone's throat. A good approach for those running older computers that might not be able to handle the upgrade. Now, maybe CrappyCloud's algorithms automatically detect whether a machine meets the optimal requirements and bypasses updates if it doesn't: I don't know—it'd be nice if someone clarified that.

I reiterate that Phase One forces no one to upgrade: no pesky pop-ups, no E-mails other than that of the announcement, no threats that one's current version is obsolete, no software suddenly stopping working. You can download the trial and roll back if you don't like it. As a matter of fact, newer versions of CaptureOne are installed onto a new folder: they do not touch the previous installations, they only read your preferences files and create new ones in the newer version's own folder. How's that for non-intrusiveness?

I'm still running version 8 just fine. And I will wait to pull the trigger on v. 10 till I check PhaseOne's forums to see how the ones who did upgrade are doing and if there are any major issues.

I clarified that for you some time ago.

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 19, 2016 18:47 as a reply to  @ Dan Marchant's post |  #11

I still don't use the subscription system. I use CS5, the last of the really good released because it has RAW and PDF preview and also the photo packages. I use DNG converter on my raw and then process them in CS5.

Mathmans
268 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Dec 20, 2016 12:26 as a reply to  @ Shooting's post |  #12

I've just got a full version. Haven't installed it yet.
I looked at youtube videos and net tutorials and I'm not sure about it. Looks the same as version 9 I have.

My photos:
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/149610703@N05/ (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,436 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Dec 20, 2016 12:37 |  #13

But the big advantage of NOT paying for a subscribstion, is you don;t HAVE to pay for an upgrade.

The OP states that he does not feel the 10 update is worth paying $99.00
this is a perfectly valid point of view, but where I get confused is,..

So don't pay the $99.00!

I fail to see the problem.

This is certainly the model that I prefer. Adobe used to let me skip versions of Photoshop so i could wait for the features I wanted to shell out an upgrade cost,. (like waiting 4 versions for them to finally adopt 64 bit)

Now I would have to pay monthly and who knows how long I would have to wait get an upgrade that meant anything to me.

Personally I am much happier being able to CHOOSE what upgrade I pay for.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 20, 2016 15:13 |  #14

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18218786 (external link)
Personally I am much happier being able to CHOOSE what upgrade I pay for.

I agree. I would much rather choose when I want to upgrade!

Cheers,
Bryan

My Gear List

RussellJ
217 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2013

Dec 20, 2016 16:37 |  #15

I just moved from Adobe after 6 years of using their software plus in High School. I dont mind the pay per month but I find that COP 10 is just a better software for me over lightroom. What Phase One should do is add their Media Sort software and do a bundle.

Outdoor Adventure Photographer
Darktide Photo - darktidephoto.com

sponsored links

3,776 views & 5 likes for this thread
CAPTURE ONE PRO 10 Released
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.