Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 19 Dec 2016 (Monday) 04:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Getting bored of photography

MatthewK
Goldmember
3,776 posts
Gallery: 675 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 21, 2016 05:01 as a reply to  @ post 18219452 |  #46

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18217425 (external link)
see my next interest is cars. I have wanted to get myself a nicer car for a long time now (well over 5 years) and selling my camera kit would go to fund it. I would also nbe able to sell my current shed at my own pace and then if need be buy another camera once again. by which time the technology will have progressed.

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18217434 (external link)
a bit late to go to school for me...
I'm happy in my IT job but thought photography would be good turning my hobby into a business.

OP, we're so similar that it's as if I am reading an autobiography about myself. I used to love computers, so I went to school for IT and now it's my profession, and I'd do anything to never have to touch a computer again. Photography has always been a passion, so a couple of years ago I turned it into a side business, and it totally sucked all of the love out of it for me. It took almost a year of not shooting for it to regain my interest. A few years on, I've a totally renewed interest in photography, am shooting completely different things, trying new techniques, and at the same time again doing side work for money... this time though, it's at my own pace and leisure. I don't need the money from it, so I don't force it, and it really let's me view it as part of the hobby pursuit vs. a job.

well that didn't last long...

sponsored links
urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,046 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 21, 2016 06:04 as a reply to  @ MatthewK's post |  #47

Thanks Matthew,

It is a tough decision to make for me as i keep thinking of things i would love to shoot but i can't find the time or enthusiasm or models to shoot. so i'm wondering what's the point?

I am actually going to my GP today to talk about my mood in general (not just photography) as i'm struggling so that could also be a part of it.

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

Van ­ Gogh
Goldmember
1,317 posts
Gallery: 118 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Jun 2013

Dec 21, 2016 06:53 |  #48

My philosophy would go against many people here but.

Unless you go pro, you will get bored of photography.
Hobbies come and go as some people have already said, and if you keep photography as a hobby, you will get bored of it at one point in time.
Once you start charging, you kind of stick with photography. And I don't see how you can't charge but also parallel have fun when shooting for yourself.
Thinking of getting paid is the natural progression of every hobby if you go into it far and deep enough.

Camera - 2x5Dmk3, C100 mkii, 70D, 60D
Lenses - 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS ii, 85mm f1.2L II, 35mm f1.4 ART, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS
Lighting - 3 x 600EX RT's, Printer - Epson 3880

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,046 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 21, 2016 07:15 |  #49

see my issue is finding the clients, Everyone (not everyone but a vast majority) of the clients would rather have a group of people shooting for free / free entry to the event than have a paid photographer.
If i could see the returns i would be more inclined to stick with it but in the current market there are 50 people offering stuff for free for every 1 person wanting to charge and 10 people offering an undercut on the price.

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,973 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Dec 21, 2016 10:35 |  #50

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18219557 (external link)
see my issue is finding the clients, Everyone (not everyone but a vast majority) of the clients would rather have a group of people shooting for free / free entry to the event than have a paid photographer.
If i could see the returns i would be more inclined to stick with it but in the current market there are 50 people offering stuff for free for every 1 person wanting to charge and 10 people offering an undercut on the price.

The secret is getting to clients where free doesn't even enter their mindset because WAY to much is on the line. Get to a point where people come to you for the way your work looks because your work doesn't look like everyone else and get to clients that see the difference and appreciate it.

My personal work is my hobby so to speak and that is the stuff I never get bored with because I have to do it. I have to create.

My pro work I don't get bored with but I do not love it all the time. Like any job some parts of it are better than other parts. I don't deal at all with the general public so its that regard it's a good thing because other visual professionals usually are also educated in the arts so they usually get it and they also pay because they know what it costs and it aint their money so it's not personal. The good far outweighs the bad with my pro work. I can't think of a better way to support myself and it lets me buy good equipment, keeps me extremely sharp technically and lets me create for me.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 21, 2016 11:09 |  #51
bannedPermanent ban

They key is to show your potential clients how your work that costs the client $2,500 will earn them more ( money, satisfaction...whateve​r ) than the works of the people doing it for free.

If you cannot convince your potential clients that there is value in your work ( because either you cannot differentiate your work from the work for free or you are just a lousy sales person ) then it's time to move onto other business.

If you are fighting for clients with the freebees, YOU need to adjust something...not the client nor the freebees.

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,323 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 21, 2016 11:59 |  #52

"People don't seem to want to pay for something they can get for free."

I can't imagine why they would. OTOH, if you were to provide something that they can't get for free you might be on to something.

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 21, 2016 12:54 |  #53
bannedPermanent ban

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18219557 (external link)

You aren't alone in this. There are no magic formulas to make it in the photography industry. You need to shoot for clients that care about paying for artistic creations. You need to shoot for clients that care about paying for your photography. Is that simple. Even if your works stand out and different, they may not want to pay for them because they either don't understand what art is or they don't usually pay for photos. Once you get to the point that people aren't paying for your works, is time to move on. Or just stop wasting your energy into shooting for people who won't pay you at all.

Is really important to keep your artistic motivation alive and so that you would continue to create regardless if money is involved.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,202 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Dec 21, 2016 12:54 |  #54

Hogloff wrote in post #18219776 (external link)
They key is to show your potential clients how your work that costs the client $2,500 will earn them more ( money, satisfaction...whateve​r ) than the works of the people doing it for free.

This is an important concept for folks to understand. I believe that if you really want to make money doing photography, then you need to target the clients who NEED your work, rather than those who just think it'd be nice to have.

Those who NEED your work are those who run, or work for, successful businesses that bring in lots and lots of money on an annual basis. They need unique, quality images for their advertising and promotional endeavors. To some extent, their success depends on having top-notch advertising, and unique, compelling photos are a big part of that.

The flip side are the clients who don't NEED photos, but think they would be nice to have. This includes the senior portrait / engagement / wedding / kiddie sports genres. It also includes the race car owner, dirt bike rider, rodeo athlete, or part-time band member that thinks it'd be cool to have a "great shot" of themselves "in action" so that they can put it on their website, hang it on their wall, or post it to their Facebook page.

In my opinion, the photographers who are really successful (like airfrog) cater to the first group, and ignore the 2nd group entirely. Sure, there are some exceptions, but if you look at each demographic as a whole.........well, can't you see where the money really is?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by ksbal.

Dec 21, 2016 13:56 as a reply to  @ post 18217434 |  #55

You can turn it into a business... if...

1. you can produce a product better and with more wow than an iphone
2. you can produce pictures joe average can't.

Otherwise, no, you can't make people pay for something they perceive they can do themselves.

Also, you have to show what you sell. Print some of your best images large, and if they are good, others will want the same and are willing to pay for it.

Fortunately, my horse passion got me into this hobby, and I'm not bragging when I say there isn't anyone within several hundred miles of me that can get pictures of horses like I can. And do it under about any conditions you can throw at me.

It isn't my primary job, but it is my second one, and I do things that are for pay, and for my soul, and sometimes that is both in one.

Find a nitch.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

Phoenixkh
a mere speck
6,829 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined May 2011

Dec 21, 2016 16:14 |  #56

I have several hobbies that continue to bring me enjoyment on a regular basis... photography being one of them.

I love music and have a decent collection of albums. I also play guitar, though I don't play as much as I once did. I read every day (books, not websites). And I take lots of photographs, though for me, it's seasonal. The bird rookeries around Florida are amazing in the Spring and are all over the place.

I don't want to go pro in any of my hobbies. They provide sustenance for my inner being. Work is work.... I need more than that for me to enjoy life. We are all different, so for some, work might provide what they need for that inner place.

Lots of people who see my work tell me to go pro. I find it amusing, to say the least. I get some keepers but then I look at the National Geographic stuff.... or even some of the bird/wildlife photos on POTN. I don't really take the photographs for others, though I will admit, it is nice to hear appreciation from others. I get that warm and fuzzy feeling when I upload the photos into Lightroom and see how well I've done. That's after a good outing, obviously. I've had a few bad days too....I'm sure we all do.

I do agree with the above suggestions of trying something new. I am trying to learn to take decent photographs with people in them. People are tough for me.... birds are so much easier. ;)

Kim (the male variety) Canon 1DX2 | 1D IV | 16-35 f/4 IS | 24-105 f/4 IS | 100L IS macro | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 100-400Lii | 50 f/1.8 STM | Canon 1.4X III
RRS tripod and monopod | 580EXII | Cinch 1 & Loop 3 Special Edition | Editing Encouraged

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 21, 2016 16:29 |  #57

As to making/earning money with photography, well, the thing is, it is in fact Work!

I admire those such as Allen (airfrog) who have built a career out of their photography, but I didn't arrive at that point!

I will say that people have suggested that I "show" my work, as in galleries and/or street fair booths, and maybe someone would grab a photo and pay for it, that would be cool, although when you think about it, those scenarios do require Work, as in finding a venue, investing time (and money) in preparing your presentations, working with the venue to properly present your work and then in dealing with possible customers, that type of stuff. Honestly, I've thought about those things but just never got around to putting the Work into things! Even putting together a Web site where I can show my work and, as requested, deliver to a customer, takes Work, Oh Well! :)

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 21, 2016 18:07 |  #58

As to making/earning money with photography, well, the thing is, it is in fact Work!

Tony, I am aghast at that statement. Many contributors herein assume that it's merely a matter of squeezing the shutter.
Now you're saying that it's not the case.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
35,973 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Dec 21, 2016 19:44 |  #59

Tony, it is a lot better than anything else I could do for a living. What a passport it has been. I have traveled to really cool places and get paid to do it. Photographed and met celebrities. Photographed mayors, senators, governors, veterans and all kinds of other creatives famous and not so famous. Have photographed in open heart surgery. Photography has gotten me into all kinds of worlds I probably would have never been able to enter.

Chauncey if it were easy everyone would be successful both visually and financially. The fact that most fail at this shows that especially in todays world one needs every advantage one can have. That means doing the things that are necessary to put yourself in a position to be successful. But most don't want to do that. It's just pushing button after all.

MatthewK
Goldmember
3,776 posts
Gallery: 675 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 22, 2016 05:32 |  #60

Finding clients is mostly word of mouth, with a small website/Instagram/Face​book presence for sample work and contact reference. The tough part is just getting your foot in the right door. I've found that once you have a solid client, more work naturally starts to spring from them due to natural networking. Almost all of my clients are references from past clients.

Phoenixkh wrote in post #18220001 (external link)
I have several hobbies that continue to bring me enjoyment on a regular basis... photography being one of them.

I love music and have a decent collection of albums. I also play guitar, though I don't play as much as I once did. I read every day (books, not websites). And I take lots of photographs, though for me, it's seasonal. The bird rookeries around Florida are amazing in the Spring and are all over the place.

I don't want to go pro in any of my hobbies. They provide sustenance for my inner being. Work is work.... I need more than that for me to enjoy life. We are all different, so for some, work might provide what they need for that inner place.

Lots of people who see my work tell me to go pro. I find it amusing, to say the least. I get some keepers but then I look at the National Geographic stuff.... or even some of the bird/wildlife photos on POTN. I don't really take the photographs for others, though I will admit, it is nice to hear appreciation from others. I get that warm and fuzzy feeling when I upload the photos into Lightroom and see how well I've done. That's after a good outing, obviously. I've had a few bad days too....I'm sure we all do.

I do agree with the above suggestions of trying something new. I am trying to learn to take decent photographs with people in them. People are tough for me.... birds are so much easier. ;)

Love this post, it about sums up what photography means to me as a hobby. That warm and fuzzy feeling you describe, after seeing your work on screen after a day of shooting and you nail that shot that makes it all worth while, is absolute satisfaction.

The disconnect I have, and what sometimes gives me a feeling of hopelessness, is that clients are wanting/asking for shots that generally don't exhibit what gives me that same feeling. Basically, the subjects I photograph as a hobby interest me a million times more than what I occasionally shoot for pay; the photos are technically good, they satisfy the requirements set forth in the contract, I receive compensation for them... that's when the camera simply becomes a tool, photography a job, the results a paycheck. I can appreciate that, and have nothing but accolades for those of you pros that make a living off of photography, it's tough work, and I hope that you can glean satisfaction from it. In my IT work, I don't, it's nothing but a paycheck, and I hate it.

well that didn't last long...

sponsored links

39,121 views & 285 likes for this thread
Getting bored of photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.