Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 21 Dec 2016 (Wednesday) 05:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help with Film (35mm negs)

urbanfreestyle
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,054 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 21, 2016 05:19 |  #1

Hi all, so i have recently started digitising some of my film and run into a big (to me) problem.

I have attached a neg as captured and then one i have edited. There is crazy grain and colours are so off it's unreal.
Can anyone help with this?
The shots i got on CD from the developers had a really weird green tinge to them too :-(

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,585 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Dec 21, 2016 05:31 |  #2

Did I see you say you're not a big Ps/post processing kind of guy? Film is tough and requires a bit of knowledge to get great images, not to mention a really good scanner.

Go into Curves, with the inversed color image open, double click the black eyedropper, use the film base as a starting point and set a black point.

The idea is to sample the base, then make it neutral and true black. Other colors will need to be tweaked individually ... plus, every film is different so you kinda need to do it with every new brand/type.

You're better off shooting chrome film if the goal is to scan it.

Btw, what is the scanning method?

Edit: you're going to have to set a whit point too.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

jabtas
Goldmember
3,058 posts
Gallery: 194 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 21, 2016 05:33 |  #3

This may help

https://www.iamthejeff​.com …-c-41-negative-film-scans (external link)

Tim
Some Canon stuff, some Sigma stuff and yet more Canon stuff
My Gallery - http://www.pbase.com/j​abtas (external link)

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,054 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 21, 2016 06:11 |  #4

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18219497 (external link)
Did I see you say you're not a big Ps/post processing kind of guy?
Go into Curves, with the inversed color image open, double click the black eyedropper, use the film base as a starting point and set a black point.

Btw, what is the scanning method?

Yeah not a big PP kind of person, not great with Photoshop.
the scanning is using the Adobe Lighroom mobile app (to scan in as DNG file) on an iphone 7 and the Lomography Smartphone Film Scanner
https://shop.lomograph​y.com/en/smartphone-scanner (external link)

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,054 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 21, 2016 06:25 as a reply to  @ urbanfreestyle's post |  #5

Tried another one...

HOSTED PHOTO

Facebook (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,783 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 21, 2016 07:42 as a reply to  @ urbanfreestyle's post |  #6

Any chance you can post a link to one of the source digitized neg files using Dropbox or similar sharing site for the file? If you do, please also post the film type.

thanks.

kirk

Kirk
---

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,783 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 21, 2016 07:47 |  #7

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18219488 (external link)
Hi all, so i have recently started digitising some of my film and run into a big (to me) problem.

I have attached a neg as captured and then one i have edited. There is crazy grain and colours are so off it's unreal.
Can anyone help with this?
The shots i got on CD from the developers had a really weird green tinge to them too :-(

Here is your posted negative render treated with a simple curves adjustment to invert the colors (drag black point up to the top of the output axis, drag white point down to the bottom of the output axis for the master curve) followed by a second curves adjustment layer where auto curves, enhance per channel contrast, was applied.

kirk

HOSTED PHOTO

Kirk
---

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,550 posts
Gallery: 387 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Archibald.

Dec 21, 2016 08:08 |  #8

I've been doing some of this too (see separate thread).

Over time the color dyes fade, and they do so at different rates. This changes the contrast of those dye layers, giving weird effects like magenta highlights and green shadows as in your example. To solve, as already noted, you need to work on the curves. Sometimes if you're lucky a whole bunch of pics can be corrected with the same settings - but in my experience, negs differ, even in the same roll, and you need to do trial and error for each to get the best results.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,054 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 21, 2016 08:22 |  #9

This link should work for the original scanned dng and my edited version
https://www.dropbox.co​m …UCYx_AB84s1XPc4​R4Ica?dl=0 (external link)

I cant remember what the film was but i have a feeling it was Fuji Superia x-tra 400

Facebook (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,783 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by kirkt. (3 edits in all)

Dec 21, 2016 09:57 as a reply to  @ urbanfreestyle's post |  #10

I opened in your DNG in Adobe Camera Raw and used the Curves in ACR to invert the image (drag BP up, drag WP down). Then I applied AUTO WB and adjusted the tone sliders and added some clarity and some NR.

When you apply the inverted Curve in ACR, the tone sliders are reversed in their roles - for example, the Shadows slider controls the highlights, etc.

Does this look more like what you are expecting?

kirk

EDIT: Another way to go about doing this is to invert with the curve, then use the WB tool to set the neutral - click on the film base (where it is originally orange, along the edge). This will neutralize the orange - carry on from there.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Kirk
---

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,054 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 21, 2016 12:27 |  #11

Yeah much more like it thanks :-) got rid of the hue nicely! So it's more me needing to learn the post for film. Gonna try some b/w next. Any recommendations on what film to use? I think I have also been spoilt with low noise / grain, high ISO goodness. Film is so much different

Facebook (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,585 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 21, 2016 12:39 |  #12

kirkt wrote in post #18219700 (external link)
I opened in your DNG in Adobe Camera Raw and used the Curves in ACR to invert the image (drag BP up, drag WP down). Then I applied AUTO WB and adjusted the tone sliders and added some clarity and some NR.

When you apply the inverted Curve in ACR, the tone sliders are reversed in their roles - for example, the Shadows slider controls the highlights, etc.

Does this look more like what you are expecting?

kirk

EDIT: Another way to go about doing this is to invert with the curve, then use the WB tool to set the neutral - click on the film base (where it is originally orange, along the edge). This will neutralize the orange - carry on from there.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by kirkt in
./showthread.php?p=182​19700&i=i192104387
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by kirkt in
./showthread.php?p=182​19700&i=i115706253
forum: RAW, Post Processing & Printing

i made a similar conversion but did not use the white balance tool and rather than increasing contrast, i just cranked the clarity to about 90 i think. That also kept from having to mess around with the highlight and shadow recovery, or even exposure. I did go into the ACR color thingy, and crank the aquas to get the sky a little darker.

once in photoshop i used the shown curve which is a much more precise way to increase contrast in specific areas while keeping other areas where you want them.

the biggest image quality issue here is that you only capturing about 800 pixels per inch ... most film scanners are minimum 1200 and often 3000 or 4000 ppi. Kinda sucks that the image is such a small portion of the frame.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,054 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 21, 2016 18:33 |  #13

Thanks for the replies. So really for a 'better' image it would be worth investing in a film scanner?

Facebook (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
8,550 posts
Gallery: 387 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Dec 21, 2016 19:14 |  #14

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18220093 (external link)
Thanks for the replies. So really for a 'better' image it would be worth investing in a film scanner?

Get the post-processing figured out first. That is the most important step to success.

Then depending on how you feel and how many negs you have to do and whether or not you want to send them out, etc., you could consider a better scanner.

Some folks just shoot the neg with their DSLR or iPhone.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 77D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,531 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 21, 2016 19:58 |  #15

Archibald wrote in post #18219606 (external link)
Over time the color dyes fade, and they do so at different rates. This changes the contrast of those dye layers, giving weird effects like magenta highlights and green shadows as in your example.

But it sounds as if this wa a recently shot roll, and the digitizing was done by the place that processed the film, in which case dye fade should not yet be an issue.
OP, can you provide confirmation if this was recently shot+processed, or old shot processed many years ago?

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

sponsored links

3,594 views & 5 likes for this thread
Help with Film (35mm negs)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.