Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 19 Dec 2016 (Monday) 04:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Getting bored of photography

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,060 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 23, 2016 03:46 as a reply to  @ post 18221408 |  #76

Yeah i'm down near Exeter. The market is saturated at the moment in every genre, now i shoot street and focus more on the art than trying to get followers.

I do have a permanent position at a local drag and drift event but unpaid

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

sponsored links
welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,448 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Dec 23, 2016 04:00 |  #77

Yeah, difficult, so you're having to rely on reputation to put you ahead of the pack and into paid work, and that takes time and hard work in profession that can develop from a hobby, keep at it. Remember, to be a success at anything, all you have to do is be better than average...

EOS R 5D III, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

Nathan
So boring
7,733 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 23, 2016 09:15 |  #78

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18220631 (external link)
I would dread to total up how much i have spent on photo related costs vs how much i made from it.

Why dread it? A hobby is a hobby. It costs money. It's also an investment in your own mental and creative health. I've been paid exactly $405 for all the photography I've done throughout the years. I've obviously spent quite a bit more.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 23, 2016 17:50 |  #79
bannedPermanent ban

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18221420 (external link)
Yeah i'm down near Exeter. The market is saturated at the moment in every genre, now i shoot street and focus more on the art than trying to get followers.

An unpaid permanent position??? :) :)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,165 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 23, 2016 18:03 |  #80

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18221420 (external link)

so you've got a job that pays the bills...you're more focused on your art than gaining followers...

i'd take a break from trying to earn money from it...and as i suggested earlier, give yourself a challenge to accomplish in the upcoming year...something that will get you out and about more, make you take photos that you weren't taking before, spark some creativity...a photo a day, although i'm sure for many here is not a big deal, but if you're working a different job, it'll get you to take photos on the days when you just want to sit in and watch netflix

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,277 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

Dec 23, 2016 18:03 |  #81

TooManyShots wrote in post #18221983 (external link)
An unpaid permanent position??? :) :)

And that is where the problem is.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 23, 2016 18:10 |  #82
bannedPermanent ban

airfrogusmc wrote in post #18221994 (external link)
And that is where the problem is.

He is contributing his own problem??? :) :) No offense to the OP. I just find a bit of humor in this...anyway.....

Facebook (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 23, 2016 18:26 |  #83

Well, to be fair...

I've had a few scenarios in which I did volunteer work, active work, where I did have requests from the sponsoring "outfit". One very active one was with an organization of "kite boarders" here in the Pacific Northwest, very active along the Columbia River. Another was with a group that was putting on "drum circles" in a local park with a bandstand. A third was with an organization that worked with local businesses to do "events", things like outdoor concerts, local artwork, various things.

Like I said, I did volunteer work, in fact there were only a few times when someone would actually give me money if I was doing shoots that were important to them.

But, the thing is, I was into this as an enthusiastic photographer who in the process volunteered to do some things that would benefit a worthwhile "activity", and I was something I was doing for pure pleasure, not Work! Of course, if a major "paying" job came out of things, well, fine, but in the meantime my focus (and my pleasure) came from hours and days out and enjoying life activities and getting photos of it!

In other words, don't be down-looking at those who do work for no pay, it's just a different approach to the activity of photography (and hopefully having fun while you're at it!)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 23, 2016 18:41 |  #84
bannedPermanent ban

tonylong wrote in post #18222010 (external link)
Well, to be fair...

I've had a few scenarios in which I did volunteer work, active work, where I did have requests from the sponsoring "outfit". One very active one was with an organization of "kite boarders" here in the Pacific Northwest, very active along the Columbia River. Another was with a group that was putting on "drum circles" in a local park with a bandstand. A third was with an organization that worked with local businesses to do "events", things like outdoor concerts, local artwork, various things.

Like I said, I did volunteer work, in fact there were only a few times when someone would actually give me money if I was doing shoots that were important to them.

But, the thing is, I was into this as an enthusiastic photographer who in the process volunteered to do some things that would benefit a worthwhile "activity", and I was something I was doing for pure pleasure, not Work! Of course, if a major "paying" job came out of things, well, fine, but in the meantime my focus (and my pleasure) came from hours and days out and enjoying life activities and getting photos of it!

In other words, don't be down-looking at those who do work for no pay, it's just a different approach to the activity of photography (and hopefully having fun while you're at it!)!

Don't think anyone is looking down at photogs shooting for free but depends on your clients and the subject matters. I shoot a lot of cycling races with guys racing with $4k to $5k bikes. They aren't pros. They paid for their gear fyi. If they tell me they can't afford to pay for my photos, is not going to be my permanent job shooting for free. Just saying. This year I shot a lot bike races because I have been contracted to shoot for a local team and they sponsored many local racing series. The money isn't a lot but because they paid me for the entire season, I would travel far just to cover their races...which I did. I even put their photos on my FB account to taunt all other non-paying racers...hahahahaha...​..

Guys into moto racing with tricked out cars but can't afford to pay for photos??? Hehehehehe....

Facebook (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,277 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 23, 2016 18:45 |  #85

I volunteer for a few organizations i believe in but I didn't before I had established my business and what I do is I charge them and when they pay I donate the money back. I would say when starting out never work for free. It usually sets up something that you can't recover from and then the client never sees you in the right light. But hey what do I know about it.

Some things I don't do.

I don't shoot for friends or family, period.
I don't work for free. I am not a slave. This is serious because it feeds my family.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 23, 2016 18:56 |  #86

TooManyShots wrote in post #18222020 (external link)
Don't think anyone is looking down at photogs shooting for free.

Snort!

There is no greater area of angst than the middle-lower rung of professional photographers fending off the cheapest end of the business and the dreaded 'free' photogs. Just wade in to the pit of despair that is the discussion around parents who dare to take pictures of their own child playing a sport and <<shudder>> handing out free pictures of their peers to parents for free. It's the end of the world.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

airfrogusmc
36,277 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by airfrogusmc.

Dec 23, 2016 19:02 |  #87

IIRC the OP was referring to commercial work and unpaid permanent position But one thing I do know is that if you are serious about the business end it is hard to recover from free work when you are just getting started.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by TooManyShots.

Dec 23, 2016 19:16 |  #88
bannedPermanent ban

JeffreyG wrote in post #18222029 (external link)
Snort!

There is no greater area of angst than the middle-lower rung of professional photographers fending off the cheapest end of the business and the dreaded 'free' photogs. Just wade in to the pit of despair that is the discussion around parents who dare to take pictures of their own child playing a sport and <<shudder>> handing out free pictures of their peers to parents for free. It's the end of the world.

Free work has its place..opportunity to exercise your artistic creation and to try out new styles. When starting out for the first 2 years or so. After that, they really don't serve any purposes other than to continue to provide free photography for your potential audience. It can not be a permanent thing...shooting for free can not be a permanent thing, period..... No one has the obligations for work for free. Is not required by law. Is like a one way marriage...:) I have said this before in few pages back, move on when shooting for free could no longer provide the necessary artistic inspiration...other than for people who expect to get free photos.... Here, you are truly becoming a slave. Feel the duty to provide free photography for people who won't care enough to pay for your work and you get nothing out of it other than the hope that something good would turn up. The first year is ok. After few years.....you get the ideas....

Facebook (external link)

airfrogusmc
36,277 posts
Joined May 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by airfrogusmc. (4 edits in all)

Dec 23, 2016 19:22 |  #89

I will respectfully disagree. In my years of doing this free work usually leads to more free work. In the beginning it is very difficult to be taken as anything but that free guy especially if you are talking commercial work. Most clients that you would want wouldn't hire a free guy anyway. Usually the agency or someone in the organization (marketing/communicati​ons) hires the photographer and to much is usually on the line to take a chance on an unknown part of the team. They usually hire someone they know or that comes strongly recommend by one of their friends in another agent or organization. If you are TRULY serious about doing this for a living then see my previous comments. Most do not want to do what it takes to be truly successful.
https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=18217517

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 23, 2016 19:48 |  #90
bannedPermanent ban

BTW, I was referring to the OP "permanent volunteer work" for the local racing events...:) Don't want to get side tracked from the topic...fyi.

Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

42,336 views & 285 likes for this thread
Getting bored of photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.