Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 02 Apr 2009 (Thursday) 16:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Vista Print?? a scam.....?

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,629 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 24, 2016 11:28 |  #61

Svetlana wrote in post #8748338 (external link)
I print through Moo (external link). Love my cards and always get compliments whenever I hand them out - great quality, yes more expensive but worth every $.

When I first got cards. I ordered from both Moo and Vista Print just to compare quality for when I wanted to order again. The ones from Moo I was not happy with due to my error and they replaced them no questions asked. Vista Print never arrived and my card was never charged.

sponsored links
Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 24, 2016 12:33 |  #62
bannedPermanent ban

I ordered some magnet calendars from them a couple of years back. Smooth as silk and the products were within expectations. That was my only business with them, but they've never spammed my mailbox ever since (either because I unsubscribed or it's simply not their modus operandi, either it's good: there are so many operations that keep spamming you no matter how many times you 'unsubscribe').

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

jmweb
516 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 05, 2017 16:38 |  #63

VistaPrint is cheap. It's cheap paper which means cheap quality. It may seem fine to some but honestly, why are you purchasing business cards in the first place?
To stand out and make an impression? If so, get quality cards that make an impression. You want your card to be the one that stands out when people dig into their pockets. Not the one
that feels like a cheap paper.

One beef i have is when people get the free VistaPrint business cards. It's saying you are comfortable with VistaPrint advertising their business on your business card. And it makes
you look cheap.

Bottom line, first impressions matter but so do your business cards.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,895 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 05, 2017 19:33 as a reply to  @ jmweb's post |  #64

When I ordered cards thru VistaPrint, I got them printed on heavy paper with a clear coat . They are stiff and thick. You just need to remember to upgrade to the best paper and finish that they offer before you submit your order.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by ksbal.

Jan 06, 2017 14:53 |  #65

A few years ago, Vista Print would sign you up to a monthly subscription when you 'agreed' to those wonderful discounts. Luckily I caught on and got out of them ... that 'too good to be true' feeling I had about them. Now I use FedEx Office.. very happy with their product, and I can double side color.

(edited... forgot Kinkos merged/is now Fed Ex)

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
2,771 posts
Gallery: 216 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 08, 2017 06:37 |  #66

no problem over last 8 years of doing business with vistaprint uk

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,895 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 08, 2017 10:11 |  #67

ksbal wrote in post #18235719 (external link)
A few years ago, Vista Print would sign you up to a monthly subscription when you 'agreed' to those wonderful discounts. Luckily I caught on and got out of them ...

I'v been doing business with them for 5 years now, and never had any such trouble. I don't know what you mean by 'subscription'. By this do you mean they would automatically charge you through your credit card at monthly intervals? If not, then what do you mean?

Are you sure your dealings with them were just a few years ago? Is there a chance that perhaps it was actually several years ago, and not a few?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

don1163
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2015

Jan 08, 2017 12:04 |  #68

I had some business cards from them that were printed to dark....they reprinted them free of charge but the colours were still poor..

1DX, 500L f4, 70-200L f2.8II, 100L f2.8 macro ,16-35 f4, 1.4xIII, Metz 64-AF1

bildeb0rg
Goldmember
2,771 posts
Gallery: 216 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 09, 2017 02:21 |  #69

Its like going into a bar that serves beer for a quid a pint. You get what you pay for. If you want your beer in a chalice served by a guy in a waistcoat that knocks the head off with a knife, use Loxley Colour, who are stunning btw

Benitoite
Goldmember
4,745 posts
Gallery: 438 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 09, 2017 03:33 |  #70

www.moo.com (external link) seems to have a lot more quality options than Vista Print. I used Vista Print eons ago a handful of times. Looking back, only paying $10 for 2 years worth of cards, and looking at the sad quality, you really get what you pay for. Looking at moo makes me think I skimped way to much on the cards.
I still use the free return address stamper they gave me.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,895 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner.

Jan 09, 2017 09:46 |  #71

bildeb0rg wrote in post #18238415 (external link)
Its like going into a bar that serves beer for a quid a pint. You get what you pay for.

Benitoite wrote in post #18238447 (external link)
Looking back, only paying $10 for 2 years worth of cards, and looking at the sad quality, you really get what you pay for.

Maybe this is why others have been dissatisfied with Vista Print; they do have low quality options, and if you choose any of those 'economical' options, then of course you're going to get poor or mediocre quality.

When I used VistaPrint, I paid about $60 for my cards. I used all of the the best options and upgrades that they had. I couldn't care less about saving money; I used VistaPrint because at the time I thought they offered the very best cards I could find, and they also had great customer support via telephone with someone who spoke clearly, with English as a first language.

bildeb0rg wrote in post #18238415 (external link)
. . . . . use Loxley Colour, who are stunning btw

I'm interested! Do they make really thick, glossy card? By thick I mean, like, almost as thick and as rigid as a credit card.

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 10, 2017 08:45 |  #72

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18237559 (external link)
I'v been doing business with them for 5 years now, and never had any such trouble. I don't know what you mean by 'subscription'. By this do you mean they would automatically charge you through your credit card at monthly intervals? If not, then what do you mean?

Are you sure your dealings with them were just a few years ago? Is there a chance that perhaps it was actually several years ago, and not a few?

Well, maybe 6 or 7years - but yes, they would then do monthly charges to your card as when you got the great discounts, you were agreeing to the terms burried on another page in small print.

Links to others with same experience:
card charged 2007 (external link)

Another list, 2009 (external link)

It looks like they may have cleaned up their act since I used them, but apparently now they are having other issues unrelated to business cards.

At any rate, I just purchased 1000 cards, double sided color, for $64 including tax and shipping from FedEx Office.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,962 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 13, 2017 16:32 |  #73

For those asking about what they are like now, I went to the link to the consumer advice page that was linked to early in this thread. It had a lot of posts that were from the very recent past, IIRC maybe a couple of dozen that seemed to cover the whole of 2016, lots of them talking about exactly the same issues that seem to go back years. In among the negative posts were also some good ones. I guess as with most mail order businesses there are a lot of people who get what they ordered, and that is all they are worried about. You are of course also far more likely to see negative postings, especially on those types of sites, because it it where they angry and disgruntled, who have had a bad experience seem to end up, looking to resolve the problem, or at least to let off some steam about it. Still the litany of very similar complaints, and from all over the world too, since Vistaprint in now a global brand, not just the USA makes me inclined to think that the company still has some issues that have never really been resolved. probably 90% of the customers got what they thought they wanted. The problem is that with a global company the size of Vistaprint that 10% of unhappy customers is a very significant number of folks.

I know enough folks who have had low level issues with using Vistaprint that they would not be anywhere on my list of companies to go to for printing or any other services. Not that using a local design/print shop is likely to be completely pain free either, but at least with local you have a chance to personally deal with the issue face to face.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,895 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner. (2 edits in all)

Jan 13, 2017 18:18 |  #74

BigAl007 wrote in post #18243525 (external link)
Not that using a local design/print shop is likely to be completely pain free either, but at least with local you have a chance to personally deal with the issue face to face.

Unfortunately, the very thing that turned me towards VistaPrint was the frustration I dealt with when trying to use my local print shop. There is only one shop within 100 miles of me that offers business card printing. And this shop, surprisingly, does not do any of the actual printing themselves. They do not readily disclose this, but when pushed to meet a close deadline that I had, they eventually needed to explain why there was no way they could have my business cards available within one week. And their reason was that it takes x amount of days to get the cards shipped to them once they are printed. So all this local shop is doing is uploading a file to some internet company and ordering the cards the same way I can do it at home myself. FRUSTRATING!

Then of course the local shop charges an arm and a leg for the same cards I can get elsewhere, because they themselves are paying the same price I would pay if I ordered them myself, but then they have to add their profit on top of that. In my experience, the local brick and mortar shop is the absolute WORST option for me to use. They are slow and they are super-expensive and the product they offer is exactly the same as what I can order myself thru VistaPrint for 1/2 the price.

And there is no other option within 100 miles.

Buying local sucks.

jhkphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
305 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 02, 2018 14:40 |  #75

Just to check in, 9 years later. :-D

Vista print is not a scam, and they seem to provide good products while being a very affordable choice.

I use overnightprints.com now, and I really like them. Anyone else think Overnight Prints is the best current choice for affordable online printer? is there an online printer you all like better?

www.johnkepchar.com (external link)
@TAPphotoStudio
https://www.instagram.​com/tapphotostudio/ (external link)
White Backgrounds in your product photography: Video Tutorial
https://youtu.be/q286a​-4lqqE (external link)

sponsored links

19,270 views & 9 likes for this thread
Vista Print?? a scam.....?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.