Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Dec 2016 (Wednesday) 11:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Phottix Laso Transmitter vs. Canon ST-E3-RT

Roxie2401
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by Roxie2401. (2 edits in all)

Dec 28, 2016 11:46 |  #1

I have always stayed with original Canon gear - but the cost of the Canon ST-E3-RT is pretty extreme - but I know it is quality equipment, weather sealed and fully compatible with my 600EX-RTs. (It always bugs me that I could never buy two 600's at the same time to take advantage of the "Two 600Ex-Rt and St-E3-Rt package" offered at B&H. If I could, the price of the transmitter would have been $80 less - grrr. And sure enough, I now have two 600's - just not purchased at the same time.)

I know Youngnuo makes the YN-E3-RT for much less but it seems to have quality issues - some work, some have broken battery doors, smaller hot shoe fit - loose, etc.

Now comes the Phottix - priced right between the two units (Canon and Yongnuo).

The question is how good is the Phottix Laso? Seems better built but still not weather sealed. How is the AF Assist light on the Phottix; is it better than the Yongnuo? In practice, how important is the AF Assist? Other than reading the literature, does anyone have practical experience with these units that they can share? I do like that both the Yongnuo and Phottix have firmwear upgrade capability. The Canon does not but how often would this be needed? UPDATE: Correction - Canon units can have firmware updates but only by sending the unit to Canon.

In reading some reviews, the Phottix seems to have a greater range - although that was tested with their own receiver and not just the basic 600EX-RT - so I don't know if the extended range is transmitter to Phottix receiver or also to the receiver in the 600.

So, does anyone have actual experience with the Phottix Laso transmitter that they can share - quality, performance, features similar to the ST-E3-RT, etc.?

Thanks very much.

sponsored links
agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 28, 2016 13:37 |  #2

I don't have a Phottix Laso transmitter but I do have 2 Canon ST-E3-RT and 3 Yongnuo YN-E3-RT transmitters and 3 Phottix Laso receivers. If I were to buy an RT transmitter, with what I know now, I would try first the Phottix Laso. So I think you're on the right track. If you do buy one please come back and let us know what you think. There is very little info that I can find.

First off Yongnuo's focus assist is only slightly better than no focus assist at all but if the Phottix Laso transmitter's focus assist is anything like the focus assist on the Phottix MItros+ flash, then it will be very comparable to Canons. I own a couple of Mitros+ flash units and their focus assist is impressive. I have thought about selling my Canon ST-E3-RT's and replacing them with the Phottix Laso's just for the focus assist. But, now that I have switched to Godox for all my "off camera" flash I no longer use my Canon RT system except for those occasions where I use "on camera" flash.

I have found myself in several situations where I needed focus assist when using my Godox system and the Godox focus assist, on their transmitters, may be even worse than that of the Yongnuo's. I am using the Godox AD360IIc's with my Canon RT system via the Phottix Laso receivers. If the Laso transmitter has a good focus assist then that would be another reason to continue to use my Canon RT system in a situation other than when using "on camera" flash.

Rand

Gear

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
16,081 posts
Gallery: 112 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 28, 2016 14:29 |  #3

Just a heads up. There have been reports about YN RT gear manufactured before August 2016 that does not play nicely with the 80D and 5D4. Not sure about newer bodies. No AF assist and ETTL issues. Someone at another site got a reply from YN saying to send it to YN for servicing. FW update won't do it.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by Roxie2401. (2 edits in all)

Dec 28, 2016 14:31 |  #4

Thanks to both of you for the information. I know that the Phottix Laso has only been around about a year, but it seems (appearance wise) pretty good.

I am still hoping someone on the forum will have some actual experience they are willing to share........

It would be great if someone could compare the AF Assist from the actual 600EX-RT Speedlight with that of the AF Assist from the Phottix Laso. I don't know that much about the AF Assist in the 600 to know what focus points it covers, but the manual says it supports all AF points - wow; I've heard that the Youngnuo is too high and only sometimes hits the center AF point.

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 28, 2016 19:14 as a reply to  @ Roxie2401's post |  #5

Just bought a demo unit from B&H so should have an answer for you next week. B&H has demo units for $139.

Rand

Gear

Roxie2401
THREAD ­ STARTER
355 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 28, 2016 20:53 as a reply to  @ agv8or's post |  #6

Rand,

That's great! I would very much appreciate your evaluation on the unit, not only the AF Assist.

Curious - what is a demo unit? Isn't B&H the best to deal with!!

agv8or
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by agv8or.

Dec 28, 2016 21:47 as a reply to  @ Roxie2401's post |  #7

Here is their description: Never owned - Used for demonstration purposes only

It was $25 cheaper than a new one.

If you go to this post at Flash havoc ( http://flashhavoc.com …sn600sc-speedlite-review/ (external link) ) and scroll down to the bottom of the story there is some pictures of focus assist patterns for Yongnuo and Canon 600's. The focus assist pattern on the Mitros+ is very similar to the Canon when using the outer focus points. Like I stated it works really well and just as good as any of my Canon Speedltes. If the Laso transmitter has the same pattern then it will be much better than the yongnuo or the Godox transmitters I have which project those little dashes which give me erratic focus results.

Rand

Gear

SereneSpeed
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 29, 2016 15:03 |  #8

digital paradise wrote in post #18225832 (external link)
Just a heads up. There have been reports about YN RT gear manufactured before August 2016 that does not play nicely with the 80D and 5D4. Not sure about newer bodies. No AF assist and ETTL issues. Someone at another site got a reply from YN saying to send it to YN for servicing. FW update won't do it.

I don't use my YN600's much anymore (or any speedlight for that matter...) but I have used them for two shoots since getting the 5D4 and have not noticed any difference than when I used my 5D3. Both times, they were controlled with a YN-E3 mounted on the 5D4.

https://www.danbcreati​ve.com (external link) - Commercial Work
http://unabashedbeauty​.com (external link) - Boudoir/NSFW

digital ­ paradise
16,081 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 29, 2016 15:09 |  #9

SereneSpeed wrote in post #18226842 (external link)
I don't use my YN600's much anymore (or any speedlight for that matter...) but I have used them for two shoots since getting the 5D4 and have not noticed any difference than when I used my 5D3. Both times, they were controlled with a YN-E3 mounted on the 5D4.

That is interesting. I know for sure the 80D is effected and they included the 5D4 on another site.

Image Editing OK

SereneSpeed
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 29, 2016 15:23 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #10

Link to the other site? Specifics, so I can test?

digital ­ paradise
16,081 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 29, 2016 15:34 |  #11

I believe the response from YN is in this thread.

https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/post/5877213​7 (external link)

Image Editing OK

digital ­ paradise
16,081 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 29, 2016 15:42 |  #12

This is the post.

https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/post/5878868​4 (external link)

Image Editing OK

SereneSpeed
Goldmember
1,032 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Dec 29, 2016 16:09 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #13

I just tested with the YN600 on camera and you are correct about the AF assist, it does not function. The ETTL works perfectly though.

Funny, the first time I used the YN600 with the 5D4 was an indoor architectural shot and I was using manual focus, the next time I was using Servo AF, so the lack of AF assist just did not register with me. Thanks for the heads-up.

digital ­ paradise
16,081 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 29, 2016 16:35 |  #14

OK. I knew it was the assist for sure but there was some chatter in other threads about ETTL but I did not pay close attention as I don't own YN gear. It was just probably a user question.

Image Editing OK

rcheung07
522 posts
Joined May 2007

Jun 01, 2017 09:17 |  #15

I have the Phottix Laso Trigger. It doesn't have weather sealing like the Canon but it should be able to take a little drizzly. Excellent build quality, doesn't feel cheap like the YN and it functions 100% so far with all my Canon 600s' Takes 2x AA and has auto focus beam assist. I can't tell but sometimes it feels the beam is off center a little but but it does work.

Have: 2x Canon 5D Mark III | 15 Fisheye 2.8 | 50 1.2 | 85 1.2 II | 100 Marco 2.8 IS | 16-35 2.8 II | 24-70 2.8 II | 70-200 2.8 IS | 4x 600ex-rt

sponsored links

6,087 views & 2 likes for this thread
Phottix Laso Transmitter vs. Canon ST-E3-RT
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.