Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 26 Dec 2016 (Monday) 22:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Replacement for Zoombrowser - Win 10?

BobsYourUncle
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 26, 2016 22:30 |  #1

I've been using Zoombrowser since I got my first digital (Canon G2) in about 2002.
I love the program, it is absolutely perfect for my needs and I've never had any desire to use anything else. It's very intuitive, it pops ups and downloads all new pics when I plug my camera in, exports to folder or email etc etc.

Then I "upgraded" to Windows 10..........

I went to download ZB to my new OS and find out they don't make a version for Win 10.

Then I find out Canon doesn't support Zoombrowser any more. I shake my head and wonder why they do things like this.....

I have a mittful of various Canon cameras and need to easily transfer my pics to my computer.

Anyways, I'm not going to sit here and throw darts at Canon, but rather I need to find something to replace it with that does the same thing as ZB.

I've searched the net and these forums, read some stuff, likely missed the best threads on this topic, but I need a decent program to do exactly what ZB does.
I like how I can plug my camera in and it invokes the ZB download new pics screen and puts them in a folder with date time etc.

Can anyone who has found something that works in Win 10 please comment? I really don't need or want something so complicated that will do everything including change the oil in my truck. Just basic and useful like ZB was is all I want. Plug in my camera or card reader and get the pics on my Win 10 machine like ZB.

Thanks.

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,080 posts
Gallery: 152 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 2 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Dec 26, 2016 23:13 |  #2

You want old school? I'll give you Old School , the original Non OEM RAW converter for Canon is still around, and Windows 10 compatible.

BreezeBrowser!
http://www.breezesys.c​om/BreezeBrowser/ (external link)

It will feel very familiar indeed. :)

I'm pretty sure on Win10 you will still be able to tell BB to open and download images, you may need to add this one to complete the functionality though;

Downloader Pro:
http://www.breezesys.c​om/Downloader/index.ht​m (external link)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 26, 2016 23:19 as a reply to  @ CyberDyneSystems's post |  #3

Thanks!
I'll check it out.
Old school is ok with me.

EOS 70D
G11 and
380EX & 430EX

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
40,957 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Wilt. (4 edits in all)

Dec 26, 2016 23:21 |  #4

The software bundled with the new models like the EOS Rebel T6i no longer includes ImageBrowser EX or ZoomBrowser EX. The applications being provided now are only Digital Photo Professional (EPP) and EOS Utility. To display images in a slide show, you can use other software such as the image viewing software built into the operating system to download JPGs.

Unlike the early days of digital, a number of other programs have come along that provide equivalent or better capability than Zoombrower, so Canon apparently no longer saw a need to maintain it any longer.
I can't suggest what to use for page layout printing of photos, like the capabilities of Zoombrowser. I also am unable to comment about Win10 inherent capability to recognize RAW files for file management purposes (e.g. copy RAW from camera/memory to harddrive) independent of DPP.

I see it as less of a reason to criticize Canon, but much more of a reason to criticize Microsoft for dead ending so much software (apps and drivers) which ran on Windows 7 even the 64-bit version, with the launch of Windows 10!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

crofter
217 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 28, 2016 09:35 |  #5

Zoombrowser does work with Win 10,I use it all the time,still the best browser in my opinion.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/70718847@N02/ (external link)

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 29, 2016 10:15 as a reply to  @ crofter's post |  #6

I actually never tried to install it. I read a lot of info that it simply won't work on 64 bit Win 10.
Maybe I should just try and see what happens.
Thanks for that.

EOS 70D
G11 and
380EX & 430EX

eddieb1
797 posts
Joined Apr 2013

Dec 30, 2016 13:27 as a reply to  @ BobsYourUncle's post |  #7

Mine works just fine in Windows 10 64bit.

greyswan
Goldmember
1,088 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 07, 2017 10:19 |  #8

I have 64 bit and Win10, works just fine.

Chris
A clean house is a sign that my computer's broken...
gallery:https://ephemerastudio​.smugmug.com/ (external link)
Gear: 50D, 300 f4L, 70-200 f4L, 100 1.28 Macro, nifty fifty.

Littlefield
Goldmember
1,218 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by Littlefield. (2 edits in all)

Feb 15, 2017 05:57 |  #9

I have the original disc that came with Canon 7D has Zoombrowesr 6.5 on it. Will it work if I use it with Windows 10 64 bit ?
Don

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,400 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by John from PA.

Feb 15, 2017 06:40 as a reply to  @ Littlefield's post |  #10

Canon says no, even to version 6.9.0a which is available at http://support-sg.canon-asia.com …nts/SG/EN/02002​09401.html (external link). But if I was you I would give it a try since a web search indicates some people got it to run with Win10, but they don't specify whether 32 or 64 bit. It's a free download and the attempt only takes a few minutes.

By the way, a solution disk 31.1A that does have everything that is Win10 (64 bit) compatible is available at http://support-hk.canon-asia.com …nts/HK/EN/02004​74302.html (external link).

philmar
Cream of the Crop
7,530 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 23, 2017 23:28 |  #11

I use Canon's ImageBrowser EX v1.5.2.8

A photo I took HERE published in National GeographicTime on your hands? Then HERE'S plenty more photos to nibble on (external link):
http://https …photos/phil_mar​ion/albums (external link)

Photomeister12
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Mar 13, 2017 10:25 |  #12

I use Linux, there's some really good photo apps for it, it's also quite efficient. I was reading some information about it here: https://www.1and1.com …e-alternative-to-windows/ (external link) .

Check it out, I will let you know which applications are the best alternative of Zoombrowser but for Linux.

fstop72
21 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 21, 2018 19:37 |  #13

What did you find that works? All I want is a old ZB feature that let me take a 100 RAW files I would right click chose all of them and convert to jpeg. I could choose what size file I wanted it would convert very fast. That feature is gone .
I have some old EOS Canon utility with ZB on it.

Thanks in advance

Rob

fstop72
21 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 21, 2018 19:46 |  #14

Can I take an old disk with zoom browser on it and install to my Windows 10 64 bit computer and make it work. I need the feature choose as many RAw file you want right click and convert to jpeg.

bpiper7
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 21, 2018 21:22 |  #15

fstop72 wrote in post #18611074 (external link)
What did you find that works? All I want is a old ZB feature that let me take a 100 RAW files I would right click chose all of them and convert to jpeg. I could choose what size file I wanted it would convert very fast. That feature is gone .
I have some old EOS Canon utility with ZB on it.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Just saw this is a revived thread. I'm running Zoombrowser 6.9.0.1 on 64 bit Win 10. I think I upgraded to 10 so the zoombrowser just came along. I would try to install it and see.

Bill

billpiperphotos.com (external link)
Gear: 60D - 400D - 15-85 EF-S, 55-250 EF-S,18-55mm EF-S, EF, 50mm 1.8 and more stuff .

sponsored links

15,205 views & 1 like for this thread
Replacement for Zoombrowser - Win 10?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.