Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 02 Jan 2017 (Monday) 13:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

When to grant exclusive rights, etc.

Cbutterworth
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jul 2016

Jan 02, 2017 13:45 |  #1

OK, so got a good photo of a Christmas decoration. I posted a quick copy of it in a previous thread, a small'ish jpg on 500px and the BBC used it as one of their reader's photos. That latter was a one-time usage right.

So, I am thinking of emailing the manufacturer a low-res, watermarked version to see if they want to purchased full, exclusive rights.

In doing this I assume I'd lose the ability to sell it elsewhere. But that about in a personal online portfolio or on my Facebook album?

Maybe, I'd be better off offering it via 500px marketplace.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Charlie

sponsored links
Scott ­ Spellman
203 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by Scott Spellman.

Jan 02, 2017 14:37 |  #2

While it may have the most value to the manufacturer, you can offer many other options besides exclusive rights. You can offer use for X years non exclusive, social media only, copyright transfer, etc. You dont have to loose the ability sell or use elsewhere. Since it has already been posted online by the BBC, exclusive use is long past a meaningful option. Most companies never purchase rights for non-commissioned photos for this exact reason.

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,040 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 02, 2017 14:49 |  #3

I think the answer to "When to grant exclusive rights?" is "When someone pays for it".

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

Cbutterworth
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jul 2016

Jan 02, 2017 14:51 |  #4

Duh..... of course "exclusive rights" would not be possible now - Thanks for pointing that out.

Charlie

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,140 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 02, 2017 21:13 |  #5

Scott Spellman wrote in post #18230921 (external link)
....Most companies never purchase rights for non-commissioned photos for this exact reason.

This ^
It is always worth contacting the company but the odds are that they wont be interested. Most companies of any size at all have a marketing plan which is planned a year in advance and requires particular images to go with it. Unless your image just happens to exactly match what they need it isn't going to be of any use.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,791 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by Tom Reichner. (5 edits in all)

Jan 02, 2017 23:31 |  #6

Cbutterworth wrote in post #18230868 (external link)
OK, so got a good photo of a Christmas decoration . . . . . and the BBC used it as one of their reader's photos. That latter was a one-time usage right.

So, I am thinking of emailing the manufacturer a low-res, watermarked version to see if they want to purchased full, exclusive rights.

It doesn't seem like you can offer exclusive rights, because first rights are no longer in tact. Why? Because the image was already used by the BBC. The only exclusivity you can offer is from this time going forward. If you enter an agreement with the manufacturer that says, "exclusive rights", and then they find out it has already been used elsewhere, you could be in alot of trouble for breach of contract.

Scott Spellman wrote in post #18230921 (external link)
Since it has already been posted online by the BBC, exclusive use is long past a meaningful option.

Yup! Exactly right, Scott.

EDIT:
D'oh! I didn't see this (quoted below) when I wrote my post. That's what I get for posting before I read the other responses.

Cbutterworth wrote in post #18230932 (external link)
Duh..... of course "exclusive rights" would not be possible now - Thanks for pointing that out.

Charlie

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

1,232 views & 0 likes for this thread
When to grant exclusive rights, etc.
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.