Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 10:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Review WOW!

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by Pondrader.

Dec 31, 2016 19:30 |  #5086

patrol50 wrote in post #18229206 (external link)
definitely keep it jeff :grin:

I think he may fight me on that one lol. But I do think mine has turned out some Ok stuff....

Went for a little drive in the balmy weather we're having.. Got one or
two images from it.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
MikeWa
879 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 01, 2017 13:20 |  #5087

Pondrader wrote in post #18229299 (external link)
I think he may fight me on that one lol. But I do think mine has turned out some Ok stuff....

two images from it.
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Pondrader in
./showthread.php?p=182​29299&i=i145578852
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=182​29299&i=i243414594

Warm and sunny eh?

Mike

Mike...G9; 7D; 7D Mark II; EF-S 10-22mm; EF-S 18-135mm IS STM; EF 28-300mm F3.5-5.6L; EF 70-300mm IS USM; EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS-II; EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS; EXT 1.4-II & 2.0-III; The more I learn the less I know.

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 01, 2017 13:49 |  #5088

MikeWa wrote in post #18229874 (external link)
Warm and sunny eh?

Mike

Ya ... It's definitely winter. Moving snow has become a full time job.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

Doctor ­ Mabuse
27 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jan 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by Doctor Mabuse.

Jan 04, 2017 12:17 |  #5089

Hello All,

First post in this thread and I am seeking some advice as to how to get really zingingly sharp bird shots with my 7D2/100-400/1.4x combo.

For example this Great Spotted Woodpecker... he's in some pretty nice low winter sunshine, but I'm finding I need to crank the ISO to 400 in order to raise the shutter speed to get anything like a decent capture.

ISO 400 - f11 - 1/200... what should I concentrate on improving in those numbers?

And it's never as sharp as most of the pics I see here - I just can't get the eyes to go all mirror like, like you folks.

Help a lost soul out please!

Thanks a lot!

James

HOSTED PHOTO

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,409 posts
Gallery: 828 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by MatthewK. (2 edits in all)

Jan 04, 2017 12:26 |  #5090

Doctor Mabuse wrote in post #18232982 (external link)
Hello All,

First post in this thread and I am seeking some advice as to how to get really zingingly sharp bird shots with my 7D2/100-400/1.4x combo.

For example this Great Spotted Woodpecker... he's in some pretty nice low winter sunshine, but I'm finding I need to crank the ISO to 400 in order to raise the shutter speed to get anything like a decent capture.

ISO 400 - f11 - 1/200... what should I concentrate on improving in those numbers?

And it's never as sharp as most of the pics I see here - I just can't get the eyes to go all mirror like, like you folks.

Thanks a lot!

James
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Doctor Mabuse in
./showthread.php?p=182​32982&i=i49009207

Welcome to the club, James. You've chosen an excellent model, woodpeckers are really fun to shoot! You're allllllmost there on IQ, just a few small tweaks and you'll be shooting tack sharp. I was in the exact same bind as you when I started shooting this lens, and here's what the gurus here in this thread taught me:

SHUTTER SPEED. Even with the outstanding IS, 1/200 is too slow. Try for f/8, 1/1000 or faster, and whatever ISO gets you there. That was the breakthrough for me with this lens, especially on the dense-sensor crop cameras. You need good light though to achieve that though, otherwise you'll again start running into image degradation, this time from high ISO on the crop camera.

2020: New Year, New Decade, NO G.A.S (Yep, we're giving it another shot!)
Canon/Nikon/Fuji

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,593 posts
Gallery: 441 photos
Joined May 2008

Jan 04, 2017 12:26 |  #5091

Hello All,

Thanks a lot!

James
thumbnail

Pretty good shot! There might be some motion blur, though, so I would increase the shutter speed or support the camera. And some highlight detail seems to be lost - maybe this could be recovered in the processing. Don't worry about ISO. Sticking to a lower ISO compromises the other settings.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

3Rotor
865 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined May 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by 3Rotor. (2 edits in all)

Jan 04, 2017 12:38 |  #5092

Pondrader wrote in post #18229299 (external link)

two images from it.
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=182​29299&i=i145578852

This is a gorgeous shot, I love foxes.

I purchased a copy of this lens during the warmer months and have finally had the chance to play with it a bit. So far, I love it. I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces soon.

Instagram (external link)
www.jessemak.com (external link)

recrisp
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by recrisp. (6 edits in all)

Jan 04, 2017 12:50 as a reply to  @ Doctor Mabuse's post |  #5093

James,

I don't want to derail this thread, but I did a quick correction if you don't mind, I'll show it if you want, let me know.
So the thread doesn't get too derailed you can make your own new thread and that can be all yours to discuss how you want to do 'stuff'.
Actually, if you go to the BIRD TALK that might be the best place.

Let me know and I will post the shot I played with.

Randy

ADDED:

You need to be 'around' f/8 or less, all depending...
More than likely you'll be 'around' ISO 400 or more.
Your shutter-speed should be 'at least' the same number as your lens focal length, as in 400 or more, more is better if you can. If you don't freeze the action, even if you don't see much action it can show it in the outcome.

Photoshop of LightRoom is always good.
I use
Topaz DeNoise 6
Topaz Detail 3

These work WONDERS, it is easy to learn too, these two are all that you need, you do not need the other stuff they sell.
https://www.topazlabs.​com/store (external link)

Your shot needed to be on Daylight because your image was pretty yellow and appeared dirty to you when viewed.
If I had your RAW I could make it look pretty good, this jpeg you posted had already lost a considerable amount of information.
(I am not asking for your RAW though, I'm just saying)

Aside from that you actually did pretty good.

I can remember seeing people with all of the details in their shots and wondered how they did that, I asked and was still wondering, so don't worry, you will definitely get there.

Randy

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

MikeWa
879 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 04, 2017 13:09 |  #5094

Hello All,

Thanks a lot!

James
thumbnail

Nice shot James. A little more shutter speed wouldn't hurt. The warm sun can be easily adjusted in Light Room if desired. All in all I like it.

Mike

Mike...G9; 7D; 7D Mark II; EF-S 10-22mm; EF-S 18-135mm IS STM; EF 28-300mm F3.5-5.6L; EF 70-300mm IS USM; EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS-II; EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS; EXT 1.4-II & 2.0-III; The more I learn the less I know.

Doctor ­ Mabuse
27 posts
Joined Jan 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by Doctor Mabuse. (2 edits in all)

Jan 04, 2017 13:48 |  #5095

Thanks for the encouragement folks!

MatthewK wrote in post #18232993 (external link)
You've chosen an excellent model, woodpeckers are really fun to shoot!

‘Fun’ as in flippin’ hard Matthew! One of the shyest, most easily-spooked birds out there I reckon!

I was shooting on a tripod so I switched off IS.

To get up to a shutter speed of 600 @ f8 would have involved bumping ISO to well over 1000 - is that a) necessary and b) OK?

Maybe this shot can be at least partially rescued by someone who knows what they are doing with post-processing because I surely don’t!

recrisp wrote in post #18233029 (external link)
If I had your RAW I could make it look pretty good…

Yes please Randy - would love for you or someone to post up a better version so I/everyone else can see what can be done. At least then I would know my lens is working properly! How can I send it to you? (Looks like I need 20 posts before I can PM anyone.)

recrisp
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by recrisp.

Jan 04, 2017 14:01 as a reply to  @ Doctor Mabuse's post |  #5096

James,

Hopefully this comes out side-by-side.
What I previously wrote goes for this, hopefully that made sense.
I don't think that you can send a RAW in this forum, it doesn't matter anyway, this 'should show' you what it could look like if you squint your eyes really, REALLY hard! :)

Randy

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

recrisp
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined May 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by recrisp.

Jan 04, 2017 14:08 as a reply to  @ Doctor Mabuse's post |  #5097

Your lens is probably fine, all you need to do is make adjustments on your shooting, shooting above f/8 is not something that you want to do on birds, 99.9% of the time. You went several f/stops over the norm so that is why you feel that you needed to go past ISO 1000, sometimes though the light is not on your side so you do have to up it.
Anyway, as you get more used to it all it will start going together a little better. I am not sure how long you have been shooting but if you are fairly new at it someone that knows how to shoot other than manual can show you, I only shoot manual so I am not the one to show you the other settings. :)
I don't mind answering any questions though if you should.

Edited to add:
The area around the eye may have been recovered, I really didn't go all out, but more than likely it had no information left in it. Like I mentioned, having a RAW can do wonders for you, using a technique like I use or similar will allow you to get stuff that you normally would've thought impossible.

Randy

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,593 posts
Gallery: 441 photos
Joined May 2008

Jan 04, 2017 14:11 |  #5098

Doctor Mabuse wrote in post #18233093 (external link)
I was shooting on a tripod so I switched off IS.

Interesting, and good technique. Maybe the significant thing is that critical highlight detail around the eye has been lost. Recrisp's edit suggests the loss is unrecoverable. Just try to watch for bright highlights when shooting, and tone down the exposure if you can. Watch for blinkies!

To get up to a shutter speed of 600 @ f8 would have involved bumping ISO to well over 1000 - is that a) necessary and b) OK?

The old rule about the shutter speed doesn't apply if you were on a tripod. It also doesn't apply if you are hand-holding with IS on. And it is a very rough rule anyway, basically being a numerical coincidence. I set my shutter speed based on what has worked reasonably well for me before.

As far as ISO is concerned, try it. It doesn't cost anything except for time. Most would not consider 1000 to be very high. There is noise reduction capability in post-processing that can help a lot.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Doctor ­ Mabuse
27 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 04, 2017 14:17 |  #5099

recrisp wrote in post #18233111 (external link)
Hopefully this comes out side-by-side... this 'should show' you what it could look like

Randy,

That's witchcraft - how on earth did you do that with just a lousy JPEG? :-) Many thanks - it looks 100 times better!

OK, so maybe my raw shot isn't quite as bad as I thought. Looks like I basically need to raise my shutter speed and get busy in Lightroom, and my 100-400 MkII shots mights stand half a chance in this thread!

recrisp
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 04, 2017 14:22 as a reply to  @ Doctor Mabuse's post |  #5100

Yeah, what you have is not bad at all, and your lens is probably fine, which is always good news. :)
The main thing that is really obvious to me was that you didn't have your light balance corrected, it looked really yellow and blah. Selective sharpening and bring back some of the blown out areas and some that are too dark is all it took.

What I would do is to go to YouTube and see if you can find something that will help you in that area, I go there all of the time and learn stuff, it's free, there's a LOT of people that show others how to do all kinds of things too, pretty cool. :)

Randy

Gear List
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

3,693,854 views & 34,879 likes for this thread
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Review WOW!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.