Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 19 Dec 2016 (Monday) 04:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Getting bored of photography

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
1,627 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2016

Jan 02, 2017 17:44 |  #286

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18231068 (external link)
...Admittedly, this modus operandi isn't a very lucrative form of photography.......but somehow I manage to sell enough to pay the bills and keep the household going, which is all that matters to me...

Your work definitely speaks for itself. I can see why people would want to license them. Can I ask, how do you market yourself? Is it strictly through your site or do you also license through stock sites? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photography (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,592 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner. (9 edits in all)

Jan 02, 2017 18:54 |  #287

-Duck- wrote in post #18231096 (external link)
Your work definitely speaks for itself. I can see why people would want to license them. Can I ask, how do you market yourself? Is it strictly through your site or do you also license through stock sites? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

I sell primarily thru stock sites.....simply because I don't like selling photos.

Don't get me wrong - I love it when an image sells! .But the actual act of selling --- of promoting myself, introducing myself to potential buyers, trying to get people to use my work --- is something that I really hate doing. .And I pretty much try to avoid doing anything that I don't like. .I guess that's laziness, but I've pretty much manipulated my life so that I only do things that I like to do, and I only do those things when I feel like doing them.

I do have a few clients that I work with personally - a few publishers who I've worked with for several years now, and from time to time they email me and inquire about using a given image for a given project. That's fine, because they are coming to me and I don't have to promote myself. Those sales are easy. Some other sales come in because someone sees a photo that I have put on my website, or on Flickr, or here on POTN or on some other internet forum. So they email me or call me and ask about licensing the image.

I also do some local/regional sales, mainly through a regional art gallery and a local interior design company. The gallery likes to sell prints and merchandise like greeting cards and calendars. The interior design company will once in a blue moon spec out one of my images to be printed on metal at a fairly big size. The area I live in is very sparsely populated, and very impoverished, but there are a few folks about that have money to spend on art, hence these sales.

The sales that I do independently and locally don't result in much volume, but they do augment my stock sales, and over the course of a year it adds up to a helpful sum.

Several friends of mine are also in the business of photographing wildlife full time, and they are MUCH more successful than I am, if you measure success by gross sales and net income. But they spend a lot of their time emailing magazine editors and negotiating with image buyers and continually cold-calling publishers and ad agencies in attempts to get their work sold. That is what you need to do if you want to make decent money at this. And that is what I do not like doing.......I would rather surf the internet, watch football games and Netflix, hang with friends, play strategy games, talk about art, look at my photos for hours and hours on a nice big 5K monitor, volunteer at church and at local conservation-oriented organizations, and most of all - go out on road trips and photo expeditions to search for animals and do the actual photography.

I work really, really hard at the photography itself. But I don't put much effort at all into selling / making money with my photography.

So I end up doing what I feel like doing almost all of the time, and am kinda poor, and my friends spend a good deal of their time doing things that they don't really like to do very much, and as a result they are successful financially.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sjones
Goldmember
2,214 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 02, 2017 21:58 |  #288

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18231150 (external link)
I sell primarily thru stock sites.....simply because I don't like selling photos.

Don't get me wrong - I love it when an image sells! .But the actual act of selling --- of promoting myself, introducing myself to potential buyers, trying to get people to use my work --- is something that I really hate doing. .And I pretty much try to avoid doing anything that I don't like. .I guess that's laziness, but I've pretty much manipulated my life so that I only do things that I like to do, and I only do those things when I feel like doing them....

That’s not laziness, that instead seems to be the secret to happiness or at least a well balanced life.

Summer 2017 (external link)
Grateful I'm not blind to Eggleston's brilliance.
It's the Photographer (external link) | God Loves Photoshop (external link)

aphphoto
422 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 03, 2017 00:49 |  #289

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18230390 (external link)
My god, what have I started!?

Since you're still here (and I've just discovered the thread lol) I'll bring it back to your original post and the word that caught my attention was "motorsport". That was your mistake - thinking that you could turn motorsport photography into a business. Is it possible? YES. Is it likely? Oh, hell, no.
In a world where well-known names are struggling to make ends meet and hang onto clients you chose a particularly difficult area to specialize in. Almost impossible to make money in. You need a few major things to line up just right and you will still have to worry that it can be taken away from you tomorrow by someone willing to do it just a little bit cheaper. Happy to go into this more if anyone is interested but I can assure you that motorsports alone is not where you are going to make enough money to turn your photography into something you can make a living at.

who gives a rat crap how much gear you can list?

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
I am a squirrel who loves rubbing bottles and I have Nuts in my drawers, too!
2,041 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 03, 2017 02:56 |  #290

thanks for the replies,

Wel lwith it being the new year etc i have come up with a plan and am taking a step back from "businessy stuff"
I have 2 weddings booked off the back of my previous work in general and two weddings i have done before so i am happy with that.
I have also bought myself a REALLY nice Olympus Trip 35 camera and a shed load of film and going to be doing more shooting for me.
Really looking forward to getting back into my film photography and seeing what i can create. Already spoken with a few small companies about displaying my work in their establishments (coffee shops and hotels)

Feeling positive this morning!

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

WaltA
Goldmember
3,862 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 03, 2017 11:07 |  #291

urbanfreestyle wrote in post #18231484 (external link)
thanks for the replies,

Wel lwith it being the new year etc i have come up with a plan and am taking a step back from "businessy stuff"
I have 2 weddings booked off the back of my previous work in general and two weddings i have done before so i am happy with that.
I have also bought myself a REALLY nice Olympus Trip 35 camera and a shed load of film and going to be doing more shooting for me.
Really looking forward to getting back into my film photography and seeing what i can create. Already spoken with a few small companies about displaying my work in their establishments (coffee shops and hotels)

Feeling positive this morning!

Good for you. Sometimes this thread took a turn for the negative but I'm glad there was some incentive/positivity in here for you.
Good luck

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,041 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 03, 2017 18:28 |  #292

On another note I bought a new car today (new to me) so gonna go take some pics of it :-)

Facebook (external link)
Canon 1D Mk IV | Canon 50mm 1.8 Mk1 | Sigma 'Bigma' 50-500 | Fuji XE1 | Helios 44/m | 50mm 1.4 | Manfrotto 055CX PRO3 | 3LT Mohawk ballhead | Lubitel 2 med format camera |

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
1,627 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited over 1 year ago by -Duck-.

Jan 03, 2017 20:48 |  #293

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18231150 (external link)
I sell primarily thru stock sites.....simply because I don't like selling photos...

Thanks for the great response. It helps me see possible avenues for me to pursue. Like you, I hate sales. Hopefully in the near future I'll be able to hire a sales manager. Or perhaps that's just wishful thinking on my part. ;-)a

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photography (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 04, 2017 05:47 |  #294

I sell primarily thru stock sites

which stock sites Tom?

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,592 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner.

Jan 05, 2017 11:39 |  #295

chauncey wrote in post #18232671 (external link)
which stock sites Tom?

A couple of sites I am on as "Tom Reichner", but for the others I use pseudonyms. Why? Because I don't want other commercially-minded photographers knowing what agencies I work with. If others knew, then they might want to submit to these agencies themselves.......which would increase the amount of competition I have on these sites. I want the agencies' customers buying MY shots, not those of other photographers. In short, I don't want anyone else to make any money that could have been mine. Therefore I choose to be an anonymous contributor with several sites. But it is no secret that I sell through Shutterstock - just google my name and that's what pops up, I'm told. I used to sell through Alamy and Fotolia, but sales there dropped so far that it isn't worth it anymore, and I have removed almost all of my images from those sites.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 05, 2017 14:26 |  #296

Thanks Tom, I've heard of Shutterstock but not the others.

My question is, about these sites, how do you separate yourself from the plethora of other photographers that use those sites?

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

urbanfreestyle
THREAD ­ STARTER
2,041 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 05, 2017 16:29 |  #297

Holy hijack batman!

Facebook (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,592 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by Tom Reichner.

Jan 05, 2017 19:23 |  #298

chauncey wrote in post #18234471 (external link)
Thanks Tom, I've heard of Shutterstock but not the others.

My question is, about these sites, how do you separate yourself from the plethora of other photographers that use those sites?

Primarily it is the subject matter, as it relates to supply and demand.

There is an enormous demand for images of people, manmade things such as products and buildings, and domestic animals such as cats and horses. There is also an enormous supply of such imagery. Practically anyone can shoot images of these subjects, and there are literally millions of people who want to sell images thru stock sites. The result is that even though the demand is great, the supply is greater still, and it is very difficult to make much of anything selling such images.

There is also an enormous supply of images that are not realistic photographic representations of things, but rather 'artsy' renderings. This type of imagery includes both vectors and heavily photoshopped photos; things that are at least 50% 'digital art', as much of the content is created on the computer and/or with the use of photo editing software. The supply is huge - lots and lots of people create this stuff and create huge volumes of it. Yet the demand for this stuff is only moderate. So again, it is very difficult for anyone to make any worthwhile money selling such images as stock.

There is only a small demand for true wildlife photos. Yet, even though the demand is small, the supply is even smaller........at least the current supply that is available on a royalty-free basis through stock agencies. The same thing can be said for the work I have done recently with photographing wild fires - small demand, but an even smaller supply.

If one can capture full-frame portraits of wild animals, with nice blurred out backgrounds that isolate the subject, one has a reasonable chance to make a few dollars from the sale of such imagery. The same can be said for images of wildfires as they flare up and consume forests, brush, and grasslands with raging flames - that stuff sells because there isn't much of it out there.

So I have kind of lucked out in that the subject matter I like to shoot is one of the few things that seem to have a favorable balance between supply and demand.

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,516 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 05, 2017 20:03 |  #299

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18234786 (external link)
There is only a small demand for true wildlife photos. Yet, even though the demand is small, the supply is even smaller . . .

If one can capture full-frame portraits of wild animals, with nice blurred out backgrounds that isolate the subject, one has a reasonable chance to make a few dollars from the sale of such imagery.

This may be doubly true of very small animals, if one identifies the species and can tag an image accordingly. Note: "may be." I haven't looked into any paying markets. But after I started submitting insect photos to BugGuide, I got requests from writers of entomological articles and reference books to use some of my images. I'm far from an expert photographer; I don't have pro-level equipment. A shot from a compact camera can be in demand because most shooters don't bother with the lesser-known tiny creatures.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

Nathan
So boring
7,724 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 1 year ago by Nathan.

Jan 06, 2017 10:23 as a reply to  @ urbanfreestyle's post |  #300

When people a bored, then tend to fill time with small talk and chatter. When that doesn't work... they find something interesting they want to talk about. Boredom can not - and should not - sustain itself. Something like:

• Dude - I'm bored.
  • Dudette - Yeah? Me, too. What do you wanna do?
  • Dude - I dunno. Not be bored.
  • Dudette - Yeah. Sucks being bored.
  • Dude - ...
  • Dudette - ...
  • Dude2 - Hey, what's up? Whatchoo doin'?
  • Dudette - Nothing.
  • Dude - Bored.
  • Dude2 - Oh, hey, I've been doing this lately.
  • Dudette - Oh, yeah? I've been wanting to learn more about that.
  • Dude - Hey... uhm... guys?... I wasn't done being bored.
  • Dude2 - ...
  • Dudette - ...

Yerp. I'm bored.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 35 L | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 580 EX II x2

sponsored links

36,464 views & 281 likes for this thread
Getting bored of photography
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.