Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
Thread started 02 Nov 2016 (Wednesday) 05:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Camera Bags and Lens Hoods

ShadowHillsPhoto
504 posts
Gallery: 156 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Jan 01, 2017 17:45 as a reply to  @ post 18229860 |  #16

Make a space that's large enough for your largest hood, then nest the other hoods inside that one.

sponsored links
Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,442 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 01, 2017 20:30 |  #17

ShadowHillsPhoto wrote in post #18230112 (external link)
Make a space that's large enough for your largest hood, then nest the other hoods inside that one.

Nah, when I grab a lens I want to be ready to go. Don't want to dig for the proper lens Hood.

Aus.Morgo
555 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 01, 2017 21:02 |  #18

I think it depends on the bags your looking at. Once you get to a certain level they really are designed by people interested in photography.

Here's a bad photo of my Gura Gear Bataflae 32L (taken from my old iphone)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i392.photobucke​t.com …/IMG_6862_zps10​bktcpg.jpg (external link)

Easily fits the 600 F4 IS on the left and the 200-400 with a 1D4 attached on the right. Both with hoods reversed. Still room to include a 1.4x TC, spare batts etc in the side or front pockets.

Gear List

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,622 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 04, 2017 22:47 |  #19

Aus.Morgo wrote in post #18230276 (external link)
I think it depends on the bags your looking at. Once you get to a certain level they really are designed by people interested in photography.

Here's a bad photo of my Gura Gear Bataflae 32L (taken from my old iphone)

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://s392.photobucke​t.com …6862_zps10bktcp​g.jpg.html  (external link)

Easily fits the 600 F4 IS on the left and the 200-400 with a 1D4 attached on the right. Both with hoods reversed. Still room to include a 1.4x TC, spare batts etc in the side or front pockets.

Showoff...

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

Aus.Morgo
555 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 06, 2017 01:14 |  #20

Talley wrote in post #18233677 (external link)
Showoff...

Just a little I guess :)

Gear List

Nethawked
791 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 06, 2017 10:24 |  #21

There are bags of all shapes and sizes. The problem is we must compromise between size and weight when carrying gear. Yeah, I'd love to pull out my equipment and be ready but not be compromised by bulk. Now, if I can't squeeze lenses + hoods in my bag(s) I thread them all through a heavy velcro strap and they carry attached to the outside of my pack.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,193 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined May 2008

Jan 06, 2017 11:44 |  #22

Wow, you guys are so organized, with such prestigious camera bags and everything fitting precisely.

I don't think I have as much gear as you guys do, but I still have too much to fit into a single bag. So at home my stuff is stored here and there in different places, distributed over shelves and a couple of bags.

Storage in bags becomes an issue for me when travelling with gear, or going on a shoot. Those two purposes are so different, they call for different solutions. Compactness and efficiency is important for the former, usability for the latter. The latter situation, going on a shoot, varies a lot for me. Of course I never take everything. Generally I just hang a body and lens around my neck (sits on a car seat when driving). Additional stuff might go into a canvas bag, or maybe a hard case, and sometimes even in a pocket, all depending on what I need and what it is. A different solution for different shoots.

I'm admiring the bags you guys have, but so far can't see their utility for how I use my gear.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

Aus.Morgo
555 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 06, 2017 16:10 |  #23

Archibald wrote in post #18235522 (external link)
I'm admiring the bags you guys have, but so far can't see their utility for how I use my gear.

As you say different bags for different purposes.

I have my Gura gear bags for carrying big telephotos, or one telephoto and other gear when traveling with Canon gear.

A small Domke shoulder bag for carrying an Xpro2 and a spare lens for general photo walk abouts or traveling.

A think tank airport series for carrying the Fuji kit when traveling as it also takes an ipad and laptop.

An ONA bag for the Fuji to carry two bodies and an Ipad for street.

Pelican cases for location shoots or traveling in country as these just go in the back of the car and are filled with gear. They're not taken out as they are too heavy and bulky to really carry far.
I've done the camera sitting on the front seat in the past, only takes that one time when you have to hit the brakes hard to send that $$$ kit to the floor, which is where the Pelican cases come in handy.

Gear List

Tomi ­ Hawk
Goldmember
1,676 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 06, 2017 16:15 |  #24

jamsomito wrote in post #18173738 (external link)
I like storing them on the lens too because it's enough time and effort just swapping lenses that I don't want to also have to dig around for the hood in a different place and sift through them to find the right one.

Bingo! Been doin it this way forever ..

WishfulDoing
300 posts
Joined Sep 2015

Jan 06, 2017 16:44 |  #25

This is where rubber lens hoods come in handy.

IMAGE: http://s008.radikal.ru/i304/1701/13/a69b843424cb.jpg

Archibald
You must be quackers!
6,193 posts
Gallery: 190 photos
Joined May 2008

Jan 06, 2017 16:57 |  #26

Aus.Morgo wrote in post #18235794 (external link)
I've done the camera sitting on the front seat in the past, only takes that one time when you have to hit the brakes hard to send that $$$ kit to the floor, which is where the Pelican cases come in handy.

Yes, it is a calculated risk. I want to be ready for critters that I might find along the way. Many won't wait for me to get the camera out of a case.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,080 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 06, 2017 19:45 |  #27

I think that ones bags are an expression of your personality, I always shoot with a lens hood and store my lenses with the hood reversed for maximum protection. I used shoulder bags, mainly Domke when I started but then gravitated to packs. Back in my Mamiya RZ days, it was Lightware Multi cases but those are utilized for lighting kits now. This is my latest, a Tenba Shootout large which I'm pay with.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,726 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jan 16, 2017 17:23 |  #28

ashleykaryl wrote in post #18178046 (external link)
I never shoot without a lens hood. With my old Hasselblad gear I had a bellows pro shade as they called it with front masks that was amazing. Although it might seem big by itself, it took up less space in the bag than separate hoods for each lens and was far more effective. Unfortunately I cannot seem to find anything similar for 35mm cameras.

There used to be a couple that I used in the manual-focus days when lenses were slimmer.

Tomi ­ Hawk
Goldmember
1,676 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 17, 2017 17:29 |  #29

I finally did it. I broke down and got a Pelican 1650 ..

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

stevewf1
770 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 26, 2017 02:29 |  #30

Tomi Hawk wrote in post #18247621 (external link)
I finally did it. I broke down and got a Pelican 1650 ..
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Tomi Hawk in
./showthread.php?p=182​47621&i=i23663409
forum: Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases

Nylla... Ha, you know cats always have to check out anything new or different in their territory...

Steve

sponsored links

6,200 views & 17 likes for this thread
Camera Bags and Lens Hoods
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Bags, Backpacks & Cases 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.