Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 27 May 2015 (Wednesday) 18:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A7x lounge

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Jan 07, 2017 16:33 |  #29041

David Arbogast wrote in post #18236430 (external link)
Just for poops and giggles I combined the two images to show how crazy wide 10mm is. I'm missing the CV 10mm and can see myself getting it again. I liked what I got out of that lens.

QUOTED IMAGE

That makes me want the CV10...

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

sponsored links
digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,294 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 07, 2017 18:27 |  #29042

OoDee wrote in post #18236881 (external link)
This.

Having been to Vancouver, Calgary/Canmore/Banff, Toronto and Niagara Falls, I'd choose Vancouver, anyday everyday. The city has a lot to offer in a compact form, including the nature and awesome scenery just outside the town. Banff is also relatively close. But I actually like Vancouver best, both as city and for the nature. And Niagara Falls is certainly nothing but tourist trap, unfortunately.

Thank you! You guys have convinced me to visit Vancouver. When is the best time of year to visit?

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,294 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 07, 2017 18:28 |  #29043

davidfarina wrote in post #18236887 (external link)
That makes me want the CV10...

Wow 10mm is wide.

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013
Post edited over 2 years ago by davidfarina. (2 edits in all)

Jan 07, 2017 18:30 |  #29044

digital_AM wrote in post #18236975 (external link)
Wow 10mm is wide.

I quite didnt expected it to be this wide. I mean it sounds wide but thats like double of an images width more view than on an 18mm lens.

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

TRhoads
Cream of the Crop
6,629 posts
Gallery: 366 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 07, 2017 21:52 |  #29045

digital_AM wrote in post #18236973 (external link)
Thank you! You guys have convinced me to visit Vancouver. When is the best time of year to visit?

Another vote for Vancouver...i can't wait to go back. If you need a suggestion for a place to stay I have one.

Gear List & Feedback | SmugMug Page (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

gaabnz
804 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 07, 2017 21:54 |  #29046

xpfloyd wrote in post #18232933 (external link)
I use 100+ zebras and add 2 stops and it's fine. Not tried the a6300 though. If I'm using the smooth reflections app I don't do this though as I find the highlights harder to recover on those files

Sorry if this is dumb, but I've been trying to sort this out and can't work out what you are doing.

Are you shooting on M, or A or S?

Again, apologies, but trying to work it out. :)

Sony A7mkiii / Zeiss Batis 18mm f2.8 / Zeiss FE35 f2.8 / EF24-105F4L / EF70-200f4L / EF50mm f1.8 / Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,294 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 07, 2017 22:01 |  #29047

TRhoads wrote in post #18237137 (external link)
Another vote for Vancouver...i can't wait to go back. If you need a suggestion for a place to stay I have one.

Yes please do Travis. I just started researching the area. I need to figure when it's best to go. I'm thinking May or August.

Miranda1
944 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2005

Jan 07, 2017 22:29 |  #29048

OoDee wrote in post #18236881 (external link)
This.

Having been to Vancouver, Calgary/Canmore/Banff, Toronto and Niagara Falls, I'd choose Vancouver, anyday everyday. The city has a lot to offer in a compact form, including the nature and awesome scenery just outside the town. Banff is also relatively close. But I actually like Vancouver best, both as city and for the nature. And Niagara Falls is certainly nothing but tourist trap, unfortunately.

I do a fair amount of business travel accross Canada and I have been to Vancouver numerous times, it really is a fabulous city to visit, the waterfront is a great place to stroll as is the Stanley Park and the seawall, walking the seawall trail is something that I always look forward to when visiting the city. The surrounding areas including the North Shore offer so much photographic opportunity, the scenery is really spectatular, I never get tired of the drive from Vancouver to Whistler. All that said however there is a serious homeless/drug problem in the city especially the downtown east side Hasting St East of Carral and west of Gore isn't an areaa that I ever felt comfortable waking through, even during the middle of the day.

I've livied in Toronto for most of my life and it's a fantastic city to live in, it's a safe multicultural cosmopolitan city that has so much to offer, huge selection different foods, great entertainment district and a fantastic waterfront. It does have it's challenges as well however, there are areas that I wouln't walk through during the night however they tend to be dispersed accross different parts of the city and not concentrated as in Vancouver. As a landscape shooting it certainly doesn't have the same level of possibilities as the west coast especially if you like mountains like I do but there are plenty of areas near the city that are unique and wonderfull, Hamilton has the highest concentration of waterfalls in North America I belive and a few hours north of the city brings you into the Haliburton/Muskoka region which is famous for it lakes and granite escarpements and of course spectacular fall colour. Niagara Falls is spectacular however the city itself if tacky and touristy at best, I go there every now and then to see the Falls but not much else.

Of all the areas I hav visited in Canada there are two areas that I consider abslutely spectacular, The Icefields Parkway linking Banff and Jasper and Gros Morne National Park in Newfoundland. I've done the Icefields parkway a number of times, I was there in May of this year and I've often lebelled this area as "Canada's contribution to Heaven" it is absolutely spectacular place to visit, I usually take the Bow Valley Parkway from Banff to Lake louise it's a much nicer drive than the Trans Canada. Gros Morne is Newfoundland is equally spectacular especially the tablelands, I'm planning to return there later this summer on a hiking vacation.

I'm blessed to live in a country that offers such a diverse photographic opportunity, we are really spoiled here.

Sony A7R2
Canon/Sony Glass: Canon 200 F2, Sigma 135 1.8,12-24 G, 16-35 GM, 24-70 GM, 90 GM
Zeiss Glass: 55 OTUS, 100 Makro Planar, Contax 100-300
Legacy and M Mount Glass: Leica 90 APO, Zeiss 35 1.4 Distagon, Zeiss 50 1.5 C, Zeiss Biogon 25 ZM, Zeiss 85 Tele-Tessar, Canon 50 F0.95, Meyer-Optik Trioplan 100 F2.8, Zeiss Biotar 58.

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,294 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 07, 2017 23:06 |  #29049

Miranda1 wrote in post #18237172 (external link)
I do a fair amount of business travel accross Canada and I have been to Vancouver numerous times, it really is a fabulous city to visit, the waterfront is a great place to stroll as is the Stanley Park and the seawall, walking the seawall trail is something that I always look forward to when visiting the city. The surrounding areas including the North Shore offer so much photographic opportunity, the scenery is really spectatular, I never get tired of the drive from Vancouver to Whistler. All that said however there is a serious homeless/drug problem in the city especially the downtown east side Hasting St East of Carral and west of Gore isn't an areaa that I ever felt comfortable waking through, even during the middle of the day.

I've livied in Toronto for most of my life and it's a fantastic city to live in, it's a safe multicultural cosmopolitan city that has so much to offer, huge selection different foods, great entertainment district and a fantastic waterfront. It does have it's challenges as well however, there are areas that I wouln't walk through during the night however they tend to be dispersed accross different parts of the city and not concentrated as in Vancouver. As a landscape shooting it certainly doesn't have the same level of possibilities as the west coast especially if you like mountains like I do but there are plenty of areas near the city that are unique and wonderfull, Hamilton has the highest concentration of waterfalls in North America I belive and a few hours north of the city brings you into the Haliburton/Muskoka region which is famous for it lakes and granite escarpements and of course spectacular fall colour. Niagara Falls is spectacular however the city itself if tacky and touristy at best, I go there every now and then to see the Falls but not much else.

Of all the areas I hav visited in Canada there are two areas that I consider abslutely spectacular, The Icefields Parkway linking Banff and Jasper and Gros Morne National Park in Newfoundland. I've done the Icefields parkway a number of times, I was there in May of this year and I've often lebelled this area as "Canada's contribution to Heaven" it is absolutely spectacular place to visit, I usually take the Bow Valley Parkway from Banff to Lake louise it's a much nicer drive than the Trans Canada. Gros Morne is Newfoundland is equally spectacular especially the tablelands, I'm planning to return there later this summer on a hiking vacation.

I'm blessed to live in a country that offers such a diverse photographic opportunity, we are really spoiled here.

Sounds like an amazing country! Thank you for the great feedback.

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,294 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 07, 2017 23:09 |  #29050

gaabnz wrote in post #18237138 (external link)
Sorry if this is dumb, but I've been trying to sort this out and can't work out what you are doing.

Are you shooting on M, or A or S?

Again, apologies, but trying to work it out. :)

I hope Eddie doesn't mind if I answer. I shoot in aperture mode when using zebra and exposure compensation.

gaabnz
804 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 07, 2017 23:37 |  #29051

digital_AM wrote in post #18237209 (external link)
I hope Eddie doesn't mind if I answer. I shoot in aperture mode when using zebra and exposure compensation.

Thank you

I'm trying it out now

Sony A7mkiii / Zeiss Batis 18mm f2.8 / Zeiss FE35 f2.8 / EF24-105F4L / EF70-200f4L / EF50mm f1.8 / Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,294 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by digital_AM.

Jan 07, 2017 23:42 |  #29052

digital_AM wrote in post #18209921 (external link)
This is my new LR import default if anyone is interested. Note that I shoot more architecture and landscape so your mileage may vary. Good thing is you can adjust to your preference.

Basic
WB set to As Shot
No other changes

Tone Curve
No changes

HSL/Color/B&W
No changes

Split Toning
No changes

Detail
Sharpening:
Amount = 42
Radius = 0.5
Detail = 45
Masking = 30 (higher if portrait; something like 60)

Noise Reduction:
Luminance = 20
Detail = 50
Contrast = 0
Color = 50
Detail = 50
Smoothness = 75

Lens Correction
Profile:
Check Remove Chromatic Aberration
Check Enable Profile Correction

Transform
No changes

Effects
No changes

Camera Calibration

Profile = Adobe Standard (I do look at Camera Standard after import just to see if there a positive effect)
No other changes except to Blue Primary Saturation slider set to +15. Adjust after import per image to taste.

Notes: After import, I will adjust tone using the Basic panel adjustment sliders (increase whites and decrease exposure to add contrast, add some clarity (+20) and Tone Curve (increase highlights and lights to taste). I do add some dehaze globally but not much. I will use the gradient tool to tweak the sky or foreground depending on the image. I will also tweak the WB a bit but dial it in using PS CC by exporting as a smart object.

I wanted to update the sharpening and detail sliders. This new pre-sharpening works better for me now.

Detail
Sharpening:
Amount = 30
Radius = 0.5 (use 1 or 1.5 if the lens is not as sharp or if a narrow aperture is used like f16)
Detail = 100
Masking = 40 (higher if portrait; something like 60)

Noise Reduction:
Luminance = 0 (if ISO 100 or lower is used)
Detail = 0
Contrast = 0

Color = 25
Detail = 75
Smoothness = 25

Also avoid using the highlight and contrast sliders in Lightroom and Camera RAW. Pulling down the highlight slider tends to make your highlights yucky and introduce color shifts. A better approach to correct tone and add contrast is to bring down the exposure slider and increase the whites slider. Then bring up the black slider to avoid crushing the blacks. You can adjust the shadow slider to fine tune the darks to avoid clipping. If the highlights are clipping, it's best to blend in a separate darker exposure in PS using luminosity mask or double processing a darker copy of the single exposure and then blending it in PS again with luminosity masks. Hope that makes sense.

Lastly, always export out of LR to PS as smart object. This supports a nondestructive workflow.

genesimmons
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2013

Jan 07, 2017 23:45 |  #29053

digital_AM wrote in post #18237149 (external link)
Yes please do Travis. I just started researching the area. I need to figure when it's best to go. I'm thinking May or August.

depends on what u are wanting to do,august is great,its very warm then,but thats peak tourist time and kids are out of school so it will be insanely crazy there,may would be a good time,less busy and temps would still be not to bad,stanely park is a must see and a walk around the sea wall,as mentioned over on the north shore google lynn canyon,thats a beautiful hike and very good for photos. many good restarounts there also,bring your gps to get around,in the heart of the city there is some 1 way streets that get confusing, u may even be lucky enough to see a movie being filmed,vancouver is a haven for film makers.
if u had time to spare a few hour drive is bridal veil falls, that would be great to photo graph,and its close to hope bc and thats where rambo was filmed.

OLYMPUS EM1 M2. 12-100 F4 PRO.75mm f1.8,fisheye f1.8 pro. SONY A7 various manual lenses. FUJI X100
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/100085318@N08/ (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,078 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by David Arbogast.

Jan 08, 2017 00:10 |  #29054

digital_AM wrote in post #18237223 (external link)
I wanted to update the sharpening and detail sliders. This new pre-sharpening works better for me now.

Detail
Sharpening:
Amount = 30
Radius = 0.5 (use 1 or 1.5 if the lens is not as sharp or if a narrow aperture is used like f16)
Detail = 100
Masking = 40 (higher if portrait; something like 60)

Noise Reduction:
Luminance = 0 (if ISO 100 or lower is used)
Detail = 0
Contrast = 0

Color = 25
Detail = 75
Smoothness = 25

Also avoid using the highlight and contrast sliders in Lightroom and Camera RAW. Pulling down the highlight slider tends to make your highlights yucky and introduce color shifts. A better approach to correct tone and add contrast is to bring down the exposure slider and increase the whites slider. Then bring up the black slider to avoid crushing the blacks. You can adjust the shadow slider to fine tune the darks to avoid clipping. If the highlights are clipping, it's best to blend in a separate darker exposure in PS using luminosity mask or double processing a darker copy of the single exposure and then blending it in PS again with luminosity masks. Hope that makes sense.

Lastly, always export out of LR to PS as smart object. This supports a nondestructive workflow.

Cool Alfredo!

My sharpening values are the same as yours (and as taught by Mark Metternich). However, my masking is generally in the 15-20 range. Usually I'll set it by holding the alt key and moving the slider until continuous tonal areas (sky, water, metal panels, etc.) are clearly masked off.

I need to get used to smart objects...that's still something I don't use.

Great tip on the highlights slider. I've been starting to go that way - leveraging the whites slider much more than ever - but I'll definitely give your method some more extensive experimentation.

BTW, for anyone wanting to get LR to work much faster, here is a big tip: save making the lens profile corrections until the very last. It's amazing how much processing horsepower LR requires to apply a lens profile. It can really slow you down if you have a lot of photos to edit. When I'm shooting for fun, I don't typically care because I'm not having to edit hundreds of images.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
7,294 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by digital_AM.

Jan 08, 2017 00:24 |  #29055

David Arbogast wrote in post #18237242 (external link)
Cool Alfredo!

My sharpening values are the same as yours (and as taught by Mark Metternich). However, my masking is generally in the 15-20 range. Usually I'll set it by holding the alt key and moving the slider until continuous tonal areas (sky, water, metal panels, etc.) are clearly masked off.

I need to get used to smart objects...that's still something I don't use.

Great tip on the highlights slider. I've been starting to go that way - leveraging the whites slider much more than ever - but I'll definitely give your method some more extensive experimentation.

BTW, for anyone wanting to get LR to work much faster, here is a big tip: save making the lens profile corrections until the very last. It's amazing how much processing horsepower LR requires to apply a lens profile. It can really slow you down if you have a lot of photos to edit. When I'm shooting for fun, I don't typically care because I'm not having to edit hundreds of images.

No problem David. Thanks for the input. Interesting about the lens profile.

Yes working with smart objects is something I also need to start doing. I can see why it's a good approach but not sure how plugins like Nik will factor in. As long as you don't rasterize your layer, it should work fine. Oh and make sure it use copy as smart object in PS when you want to duplicate your base layer. Don't do CTRL J or the MAC equivalent since the copied layer won't inherit the smart object feature.

sponsored links

3,805,749 views & 33,336 likes for this thread
Sony A7x lounge
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.