Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 09 Jan 2017 (Monday) 08:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cringeworthy/Funny Things You've Heard Camera Sales People Say?

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,312 posts
Gallery: 430 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 09, 2017 08:30 |  #1

When I was a local store buying some new gear, I couldn't help but listen in on the sales people talking to customers and laugh. Although the guy serving me knows what he's doing, his work colleague clearly didn't.

His colleague was shohttps://photography-on-the.net …orumdisplay.php​?f=13#wing a customer a 5D4 then an 80D and letting him test both cameras. When they were switching bodies for him to try, he asked if they could put the 24-70 on the 80D and the consultant replied "no that's a full frame lens, it won't work on that body". I looked at my friend and he just shook his head and we both laughed.

Has anyone else heard anything funny/cringeworthy from sales people in camera or general electronics stores?

Sony Alpha A7III ~ Canon EOS M5 ~ Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 ~ Canon EF 35mm f2 IS
Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS ~ Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM ~
Sigma MC-11 ~ Sony FE 85mm f/1.8

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

sponsored links
john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,329 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 09, 2017 09:07 |  #2

I remember a few years ago I was thinking about getting a Mac and so I visited the local Apple store. The young “genius” in the store came over to me and began to regal the all the wondrous virtues of a Mac to me and how I could synchronise the music on it with an iPod.
“I don’t have an iPod,” I said.
He looked at me rather perplexed and asked, “Oh, how do you listen to music then?”
“Well,” I said, “I have a gramophone, but it’s a bit of a bugger trying to get hold of the wax cylinders these days.”
He just stood there gobsmacked.

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,908 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 09, 2017 09:24 |  #3

You don't have an iPod?

;-)a

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

-Duck-
my head is usually in the way
1,626 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2016

Jan 09, 2017 09:33 |  #4

I love pretending I know nothing about cameras whenever I am in one of these big box stores (like Best Buy). I'll purposely ask more advanced questions just to test the poor fools.

One time I was listening to a conversation between a young kid and an elderly couple looking to buy a camera for vacation. It was obvious this kid knew nothing and I could see the husband starting to get aggravated. I introduced myself and offered to help. The look of relief on this kid's face was priceless. I ended spending about 20 minutes with the couple and they walked away with a nice little portable and durable camera. It was a good feeling.

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Unitas Photography (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,708 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 09, 2017 19:36 |  #5

-Duck- wrote in post #18238673 (external link)
I love pretending I know nothing about cameras whenever I am in one of these big box stores (like Best Buy). I'll purposely ask more advanced questions just to test the poor fools.

One time I was listening to a conversation between a young kid and an elderly couple looking to buy a camera for vacation. It was obvious this kid knew nothing and I could see the husband starting to get aggravated. I introduced myself and offered to help. The look of relief on this kid's face was priceless. I ended spending about 20 minutes with the couple and they walked away with a nice little portable and durable camera. It was a good feeling.

^^ This ^^

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,104 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 10, 2017 05:15 |  #6

"Cringeworthy/Funny Things You've Heard Camera Sales People Say?"

Nikon is a good camera.

Website (external link) |

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,915 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 10, 2017 05:52 |  #7

A sales person pointing to the USB socket when asked which cameras had a PC socket. I still have a need to trigger flash by a wired connection. This was not long after the 60D came out, and it seemed that manufacturers were falling over themselves to drop them. It got to the point of what you can plug a flash into a camera with a cable?

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

ONE30
I don't have a point!!!
4,235 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 10, 2017 09:03 |  #8

-Duck- wrote in post #18238673 (external link)
I'll purposely ask more advanced questions just to test the poor fools.

...why? needing an ego boost?

Duck- wrote in post #18238673 (external link)
It was obvious this kid knew nothing

It was a good feeling.

im sure it was a good feeling making the "kid" feel inferior. poor guy just trying to earn an honest buck with the "limited" training he was provided!!!

mikeinctown
Goldmember
2,066 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 10, 2017 09:13 |  #9

ONE30 wrote in post #18239811 (external link)
im sure it was a good feeling making the "kid" feel inferior. poor guy just trying to earn an honest buck with the "limited" training he was provided!!!

I don't know about you, but when I am given training on something which I know is limited, I sure try and advance my knowledge to become better at whatever it is I have been trained on. This over a 10+ year span in retail sales, sometimes part time and other times full time.

Anyway, the only one I can remember is when I bought a monopod at a local shop for my new to me 1Dx and 150-600 lens. I had also planned on picking up a 300 2.8 from a guy selling one local. Anyway I looked at the instructions and saw the monopod was rated at 10 pounds load. I took it back and the guy was like oh, your stuff is within the limits. I asked if he was willing to risk $10k worth of equipment on his word. After some changes in facial expressions, he finally did the refund.

ONE30
I don't have a point!!!
4,235 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 10, 2017 09:38 |  #10

mikeinctown wrote in post #18239818 (external link)
I sure try and advance my knowledge to become better at whatever it is I have been trained on

...this is true and couldn't agree with you more but not everyone thinks this way - that's why we will always have minimum wage earners.

-Duck-
1,626 posts
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited over 1 year ago by -Duck-.

Jan 10, 2017 10:22 |  #11

And I'm sure you don't get frustrated when you expect a certain amount of knowledge from a sales person? I know I do. I expect my mechanic to understand engines, I expect my barber to understand how to cut hair and I definitely expect my accountant to understand tax law. Why wouldn't I expect a camera sales person to understand the cameras he's selling? If for anything else I hope that the salesperson goes back to look up the information I asked about so he is able to help someone else. It's not always about superiority. Thanks for trolling.

Unitas Photography (external link)Blog (external link)Facebook (external link)Flickr (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,369 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 10, 2017 14:30 |  #12

I'm pretty certain he meant that it felt good to take his time to help a couple who otherwise wouldn't wouldn't have had any. It's that very feeling that makes an employee good at their job, unfortunately we're losing that sense of work satisfaction these days.

mikeinctown wrote in post #18239818 (external link)
I don't know about you, but when I am given training on something which I know is limited, I sure try and advance my knowledge to become better at whatever it is I have been trained on. This over a 10+ year span in retail sales, sometimes part time and other times full time. .

This.

ONE30 wrote in post #18239833 (external link)
...this is true and couldn't agree with you more but not everyone thinks this way - that's why we will always have minimum wage earners.

Yes, but we shouldn't make excuses for and defend those types of employees, we should encourage them to better themselves and thus better society.

-Duck- wrote in post #18239871 (external link)
And I'm sure you don't get frustrated when you expect a certain amount of knowledge from a sales person? I know I do. I expect my mechanic to understand engines, I expect my barber to understand how to cut hair and I definitely expect my accountant to understand tax law. Why wouldn't I expect a camera sales person to understand the cameras he's selling? If for anything else I hope that the salesperson goes back to look up the information I asked about so he is able to help someone else. It's not always about superiority. Thanks for trolling.

This.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

tdlavigne
350 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Jan 10, 2017 15:08 |  #13

"This one has more megapixels; it's better" (Rebel something or other compared to a new at the time Nikon D700)
"This one is bigger, it's a better camera...you know, like the PRO's use" (Another T3i being compared to NEX-7)
"Would you like to add the warranty? Canon won't fix issues, only if it's wrong when you first buy it"
"Ummm, I don't know..."
And then there was the time a young woman was in BB apparently getting into photography, had a budget and wanted a "good camera that'd last her a while"; BB sales guy pushed a T5i (already old at this point, they must've been trying to clear inventory, but they were still as expensive as the T6 was :/ ) with a bunch of crap in a "kit" (tabletop tripod, bag, lens cleaner cloths, filter kit, etc) for slightly more than a 70D on sale would've cost her. Tried to interject as politely as I could but she made it clear she wanted nothing to do with some strange man, must've thought I was trying to flirt lol. In the end my friend and I watched her buy the T5i, the useless accessory kit, the extra 70-300mm, and a BB extended warranty. Probably coulda got the 70D, and at the very least a 24mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.8, if not a 24-105 for just a little more. But oh well...

ONE30
I don't have a point!!!
4,235 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jan 10, 2017 15:21 |  #14

-Duck- wrote in post #18239871 (external link)
I know I do.

Thanks for trolling.

...I sure hope that you don't have a place where you are where you can get your taxes and hair done while waiting to get your car serviced! these people you mentioned are certified and specially trained, unlike these big box(bestbuy)store employees.

I'm going to ASSume that your primary intention for walking in the camera section of bestbuy was not to buy a camera but to simply engage with an associate to prove to them that you have a certain amount of knowledge over them.

you proved my assumption correct by getting in between the customers and the "kid" - that's cringe worthy!

it's ok though, as long as you felt great walking out the store!

-Duck-
1,626 posts
Joined Apr 2016
Post edited over 1 year ago by -Duck-.

Jan 10, 2017 15:35 |  #15

ONE30 wrote in post #18240231 (external link)
...I sure hope that you don't have a place where you are where you can get your taxes and hair done while waiting to get your car serviced! these people you mentioned are certified and specially trained, unlike these big box(bestbuy)store employees.

Yes, and salespeople get trained and some are even certified in specific equipment they have to sell. If nothing else than the basic points of the merchandise they are asked to sell. But your point is...?

I'm going to ASSume that your primary intention for walking in the camera section of bestbuy was not to buy a camera but to simply engage with an associate to prove to them that you have a certain amount of knowledge over them.

you proved my assumption correct by getting in between the customers and the "kid" - that's cringe worthy!

Your ASSumption is incorrect, but you already knew this by highlighting what ASSuming does. So your point was...?

it's ok though, as long as you felt great walking out the store!

The couple were more than thrilled for my help and I got a good feeling for helping, so yes, I felt REALLY great. And your point of this was...?

Oh, wait, it states it in your tagline!!! Thanks for your input.

sponsored links

9,070 views & 51 likes for this thread
Cringeworthy/Funny Things You've Heard Camera Sales People Say?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.