Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 08 Jan 2017 (Sunday) 21:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New studio setup

atsilverstein
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Mar 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by atsilverstein.

Jan 08, 2017 21:55 |  #1

Trying something different. Feedback appreciated.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

sponsored links
mannetti21
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by mannetti21.

Jan 08, 2017 23:30 |  #2

Her shirt and hair are out of focus, so you could increase the DOF if that wasn't your attention. As far as the lighting, I would move the source just a bit higher to add some more light to her hair.

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

exvtec94
50 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 09, 2017 00:50 as a reply to  @ mannetti21's post |  #3

Prefer to see the hair and shirt in focus. x2 on the increase of DOF.

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,985 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 09, 2017 01:07 |  #4

I like it as-is.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 09, 2017 07:30 |  #5

It's not as easy using Nikon as it is with Canon but, I would like to see you shoot "Live View Tethered".
It would give you unending opportunities to fiddle and adjust to your heart's content.

Agree with the DOF comments.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,891 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 09, 2017 07:59 |  #6

First priority, eyes in focus which you nailed. After that it's artistic choice.

I don't mind the shallow DOF. I might have added a kicker light to her rear left to create some separation from the background, but it's still nice as it is.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,912 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 09, 2017 10:40 |  #7

DOF bothers me as well. Apart of that - gutt! Love the colours.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,246 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 10, 2017 12:34 |  #8

seems to me you are trying some post processing that isn't quite working.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Jan 10, 2017 12:52 |  #9

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18240041 (external link)

Yes, experimenting. And having computer issues too.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,105 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 10, 2017 15:49 |  #10

atsilverstein wrote in post #18240068 (external link)

I'm slightly confused...did you add the bokeh in post?

My Buyer/Seller Feedback

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Jan 10, 2017 15:54 |  #11

mannetti21 wrote in post #18240251 (external link)
atsilverstein wrote in post #18240068 (external link)

I'm slightly confused...did you add the bokeh in post?

No, but I was experimenting with curves and there is a slight matte effect on the image.

- William Ernest Henley

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by frugivore.

Jan 10, 2017 15:59 |  #12

I like the lighting, although a hair light opposite the key light would help separate her more. I don't mind the shallow DOF, but the white blouse bothers me. Too much contrast against the black background.

I LOVE her smile!

One more thing - and this is just me being picky - I'd like to see her head vertically straight. It's tilting just a bit. Or, make the tilt more pronounced.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,246 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jan 10, 2017 16:52 |  #13

So were you adding to the OOF/bokeh?

I see concentric banding circles on the background that look like you were using a gradient of some sort to maybe brighten up and/or add blur around the face. You have to be very careful when making selections with the gradient tool and some other tools ... adding noise to the channel is one way to keep it from showing up.

The photo looks really good, kinda wonder what it looks like with "normal" processing.

Edit: thought I refreshed the page but it didn't load some posts before I typed that in. Somehow some of the OOF areas look like they were done in post, and the banding still leaves a question in my mind.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

atsilverstein
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Jan 10, 2017 17:52 |  #14

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #18240304 (external link)
So were you adding to the OOF/bokeh?

I see concentric banding circles on the background that look like you were using a gradient of some sort to maybe brighten up and/or add blur around the face. You have to be very careful when making selections with the gradient tool and some other tools ... adding noise to the channel is one way to keep it from showing up.

The photo looks really good, kinda wonder what it looks like with "normal" processing.

Edit: thought I refreshed the page but it didn't load some posts before I typed that in. Somehow some of the OOF areas look like they were done in post, and the banding still leaves a question in my mind.

To answer your question, there is no added bokeh or vignette, or much of anything TBH. It's my base edit with bringing up the blacks and adjusting highlights for a slight matte effect. The banding is a problem with device compression or something to that affect if I'm not mistaken. I've read in can minimize or eliminate the banding by adding noise.

I've actually ordered 3 different canvases of this image to use as studio samples, so I'm looking forward to getting two of them tomorrow.

- William Ernest Henley

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,246 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 10, 2017 18:04 |  #15

It really is a good photo, I think you know I can be picky with certain things and at certain times. :D

I doubt the banding will show up in a print. Another nit, I wish her eyes were slightly above the middle of the frame. The viewer's eye tends to pull things in the middle of the page down a bit anyway so they kinda look below the middle.

It's great seeing how you have progressed and continue to work on the craft. Keep it up!

sponsored links

4,539 views & 22 likes for this thread
New studio setup
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.